LEFT BEHIND - Series of Books

by waiting 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• waiting
    waiting

Has anybody read these? Your opinions?

Several people have encouraged me to read these books, and they're pretty intelligent people (lawyers, etc.). They are suspense books with the premise that The Rapture actually takes place in the 20th century - and the consequences to the earth.

Rather like a novel on what would literally happen during the Tribulation, Armageddon, and afterwards on the earth.

I've read the first one - pretty interesting if you have a Bible background. Totally off the mark if you're a jw. If not a jw, then just as feasible as the jw's view of Armageddon. Pretty good suspense novel, all in all. Dialogue rather stilted.

Critics are eunichs at a gang bang. George Burns

waiting

• RR
    RR

Actually, I am in the process of reading the books now, I just started reading book six. They did make the New York Times best seller's list and the first book was made into a terrible movie.

As a Biblical teaching, it's flawed. As fiction—what a plot! A vindictive God battles against a superman Antichrist for the souls of men. The time frame is a future seven-year tribulation in which this vindictive God rains all sorts of horrors on the followers of Antichrist. A gigantic burning mountain and falling stars kill hundreds of thousands. Fire burns up one-third of the earth. The horrors continue. By the end of 3 1/2 years, three billion people are killed. Finally a worldwide earthquake wipes out all the cities, mountains and islands. And you know what? Whatever people were left cursed God. This Antichrist character sure has dynamic influence. I don't have to tell you they take EVERYTHING literally!!

Eventually the Antichrist gets thrown into a lake of fire to be tormented forever, along with those he deceived—the majority of the world's six billion inhabitants—are also thrown into the lake of fire to suffer eternally. Antichrist went down fighting, but he won! He won the battle for men's souls. Antichrist got the majority.

• waiting
    waiting

hey rr,

As a Biblical teaching, it's flawed. As fiction—what a plot!

I agree fully. Being a jw - I can visualize the plot -just taking it from a different angle - all the prophecies haven't been fulfilled yet. I saw the movie a while ago - didn't care much for it. Someone in the bookstore had read the series and talked me into it.

I just finished the second book, the dialogue is better than the first. Starting the 3rd - they're addictive. My husband can read any technical manual you put in front of him - but looks at me with curiosity because he's never read a novel. He has exceptionally imagination for antique cars and computers - but none for *what if?*

Doesn't make a true fundy believer of me - but the plot is a great *what if?*!!! Did you ever read/watch "The Stand" by Stephen King? Reminds me of that.

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hello, TR and Waiting. It's great to be in the Culture Corner again. I used to post on a board called the Left Behind Message Board (or something similar) and someone there suggested that I read the series. I bought the first book and had to really struggle to read the first five chapters. I kept telling myself this book is on the best seller list, surely it has to get better than this.
    However I could never get into it. I found the characters very flat and the dialog was simply terrible. I was disappointed. I can only imagine how bad the movie is.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Now I just read an article critizing the Left Behind series. The guy says it sounds just like a series of books or articles called The Turner Diaries. Very similar in plot, except Left Behind has a theological story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit