To Kill A Mockingbird and Prequel

by Socrateswannabe 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Terry: True enough that I can't judge a book without having read it. And I know that Atticus is fictional, regardless of who he was patterned after. For years though, I've had it in my mind that Lee's father was something like him, and I don't want to destroy that. Maybe I'll come around though, over time. I'm glad to hear that you liked it so much. And yes, I regretted calling it a prequel, even though it was written before TKAM, but it's not really a sequel either, so I guess it's just another novel.

Littlerockguy: Yes, but we can still have our idols, can't we?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Not to worry. I don't know that these literary critics actually serve the literary community by not taking in to account many potential readers may be discouraged by the animadversions.

After all, the number of readers has diminished to the point Book Stores are becoming an endangered species.

I worked for a company called HALF PRICE BOOKS for almost six years and you wouldn't believe how the impact of digital availability has dealt a virtual deathblow to brick and mortar sales.

Margaret Mitchell wrote only one book, GONE WITH THE WIND and I think this sort of scarcity enlarges the reader base through a sense of exclusivity, specialness and such.

Getting people to read actual Literature is more and more difficult.

• millie210
    millie210

As an insatiable reader I love it when someone shares a book that has changed them in some way.

I like reading your thoughts on such a great book socrateswannabe!

P.S. I have a pet named after Scout.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit