Demons & Possession--New Teaching?

by patio34 12 Replies latest jw friends

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

seven - hi - i'm gonna have to come back to this excerpt again in a few days time -

it's deep stuff

a couple of things

firstly

I kept returning to that one statement over and over again

i'm not sure which one statement you are referring to

secondly

i was gonna try and write you more about the mithras thing but it's way to deep a subject for me to try and tackle right now

but i think i know what you're getting at -

the so called purity of the christian faith?

eg: on the subject of - demons and demon possesion

the infiltration into christianity of theologies and myths of surrounding or dominating cultures?

this creates a whole new perspective in my mind

seems to put christianity more on a level playing field as the so called pagan and non biblical faiths it claims to be so far superior to

more into the perspective of just another cultural story rather than something special or unique

but i'm not saying that i think those cultural stories aren't great stories

i dont know about you but i'm finding some excellent viewpoints on this website

bye

BADASSOCIATE

• Seven
    Seven

BA, The statement I was referring to is the one about the gods only existing in the minds of those who believed in them and the Jewish scholars referring to them as "demons." The more I research, the more I find this "infiltration into christianity of theologies and myths of
    surrounding or dominating cultures" you speak of worth investigating. Some websites I've visited refer to christianity's flat out plagiarism
    of ancient myths. Osiris, Quexalcote, Krshna and Mithra-all rose from the dead in three days time. The Buddah walked on water, calmed the sea and walked through walls. A hymn to Mithras-"Thou hast redeemed us
    by shedding the eternal blood." Look at the comparison between the Code of Hammurabi, para.120 and Exodus 22-7-9:

If a seignior deposited his grain in another seignor's house for storage, and a loss
    has then occurred at the granary, or the ownere of the house opened the storage room and took the grain, or has denied completelythe receipt of the grain which was stored in his house, the owner of the grain shall set forth the particularsin the presence of God and the owner of the house shall give to the owner of the grain double the amount which he took.-Code of Hammurabi
    If a man delivers to his neighbor money or goods to keep, and it is stolen out the man's house, then, if the theif is found, he shall pay double. If the theif is not found, the owner of the house shall come near to God,
    to show whether or not he put his hand to his neighbor's goods. For every breach of trust, whether it is for ox, for ass, for sheep, for clothing, or for any kind of lost thing, of which one says, "this is it," the case of both parties shall come before good; he whom God shall condemn shall pay double to his neighbor.-Exodus22:7-9

I found the examples given above at the following website: http://home.talkcity.com/librarydr/eztoamuse/webdoc16.htm
    I don't know, BA. What started out as a search for material about demons and spirit creatures in the Bible has turned into(for me)a search for what is real. I like it.

See ya,
    Seven

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

seven - yea i think you are definitely onto something here in your search for what is real

it's got that feel about it to me

the examples hammurabi etc

what can i say?

there's something about this that makes a lot of sense to me

over on another thread i was chatting with a couple of the other guys - e-man and dark clouds about a similar subject - which was the merits and validity of the major world faiths compared to christianity

the general consencus was that they were all as equally valid as each other

(this was based on our experience of having talked to squillions of peoples from various cultures at the doors.)

these "differing" faiths were all different ways of getting through the same experience

different ways of telling the same story

of how to get through life

different ideas expressed in stories on how to get through life

stories with a lot of similarities

there's more i wanna say but right now i dont know how to say it -

it's to do with this

their own scriptures taught them only existed as destructive ideas in the minds of those who believed in them!

because i'd been thinking the same thing myself lately co-incidentally

the way that i can relate to you saying you are finding something real is that (for me anyway) this viewpoint gets one out of the narrow jw self centred rut

and secondly it gets you out of the rut of even the major religions themselves

that is

their own exagerated self of sense importance

i dont even know why i'm at this website seven - i'm way past needing to be convinced that the wtbts is irrelevant

i dont need to go back and convince myself of that

i've moved on from there a long time ago

thats why i couldnt care less about any debate on the subject

i'm ready to look at a far bigger canvas

i think the thing that hooks me about this place is reading peoples viewpoints -

i figure most of the people who post here are just ordinairy people

i find i'll be reading someones post and they may just say one little thing and i'll be thinking

wow i never thought about it that way before

i'm a bit of an addict for that kind of thing

BADASSOCIATE
    (As Duped As Everybody Else Class)

I haven't checked the url you posted yet as i am almost falling asleep at my computer as i sit here writing now

i remember you were talking to me the other day in the chat about the name change - ICHING was a prob because the system didn't allow the hyphen in the handle field which would have made it correct - I-CHING

the i-ching is amazing but thats a whole other subject

i get a kick out of bad associate though coz i think it's so funny

having to live up to a low reputation

catchya

BAD ASSOCIATE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit