A lame reply from Amazon.com

by Xandria 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

It's all about marketing and what will sell, and who gets the money. Bottom line is always money.

I'm not going to boycott Amazon.com. They sell used books, and do all they can to find a book you want to buy, even if it is out of print. I wanted an obscure book on old Inns in California, (it had info on one of my ancestors) last year, that has been out of print since about 1912. They found it for me, and it was cheap. I love Amazon.

Edited by - mulan on 30 September 2002 12:54:57

Edited by - mulan on 30 September 2002 12:55:34

• crownboy
    crownboy

I have to agree with the anti censorship crowd here (rem and francois, et al )

Basically, people are applying a "sliding scale" rule for what they find offensive. I'm 110% sure there are other books that Amazon sells that you guys find "offensive" that you will not boycott, but since pedophilia is a "hot button" issue, and one that may be a bit close to home for some, we can all rally behind this one.

Like most of you, I abhor pedophiles and think they are the vilest of humans. I also abhor racist, most of you probably do too. But does that mean that a book like Mein Kampf should be banned from bookstores because it presents ideas we disagree with? You can make the argument that reading Hitler's book could impress on the mind of some people, turn them into anti-semites, and they can start doing horrible things, even kill some people. However, is banning Hitler's book truly the answer, and doesn't Hitler have a right to express his views? Wouldn't it be much more effective, and indeed morally better, simply to discredit Hitler's claims instead of supressing his nonsense?

Should we try to supress a book simply because the majority does not like it? Unless there is illegal material published in there, I think this is an immoral stance. Where would we objectively draw the line? Would it be OK for fundy christains (if they become a majority), to try to ban Amazon.com from selling books that proclaim homosexuality not to be morally wrong? This would be a big issue for them, for such a thing would be considered a form of blashemy or something, right? Should they be allowed to censure because it's a "hot button" issue? Afterall, Amazon doesn't have to sell books like that, right?

I still don't get the people who say that Amazon is "promoting" pedophilia. They also sell anti-pedophilia books, so perhaps they (Amazon) are confused ? To say that this book will turn people into pedophiles seems baseless, as pedophiles don't learn their "craft" from reading pseudo-scientific books, but by other means. This book will only justify actions in the minds of already sick people, and can provide insight (for researchers, doctors, even laymen like us) into the minds of these disturbed people, and afford us an opportunity to rebut their nonsense (as an Amazon person has done, among others). This excersize in open debate may potentially help some pedophiles to see the folly of their ways, but even if it doesn't the pedophile has a right to express his opinion nontheless (we should keep a close eye on the author of this book, though).

Freedom of speech is too precious, IMO, to supress simply because people don't agree with a person's view (and YES you are trying to supress speech by making it harder to get the book, like the JW org. does with its older publications).

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Buying, or not buying, a book from Amazon is something like voting.

If I choose to not buy this book, and if my not buying it is seen as censoring Amazon, isn't that like saying that if I vote for the candidate of party A in my local mayoral race I am censoring party B's candidate?

You could still buy from Amazon and not be accused of supporting pedophilia because you are buying something other than this particular book. If, for example, Danielle Steele's next book is selling so well Amazon has it back ordered, but the pedo book languishes with anemic sales figures, Amazon will notice this (every store tracks what inventory's selling and what isn't) and will not order more copies of the pedo book. Might well be leery of works by the same author or the same subject in the future. No business can afford to alienate its customers to the point the business won't survive.

Not buying the book isn't censorship, imo. If it doesn't sell, that's a choice freely made. Censorship is when the consumer's freedom of choice is ended because the book was banned by the authorities and no other outlets exist--not because the author chose not to produce another loser.

On an almost-unrelated side note....

Crownboy mentioned Mein Kampf. Some might say, as he mentioned, that people could call for its supression because it promotes anti-Semitism. But as Daniel Goldhagen points out in Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust, anti-Semitism had existed in Germany for over a hundred years before Hitler came to power. Even liberals(!) agreed there was a "Jewish problem" and debated what to do about it. Hardly anyone advocated the drastic solution the Nazis implemented but the attitude was already there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit