British Branch to answer to Government!!!!

by dmouse 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Before any authority goes to question the WTS, they need to be advised about the way JW's use "Spiritual Warefare"

*** Watchtower 1960 June 1 p.351 Questions from Readers ***

From time to time letters are received asking whether a certain circumstance would justify making an exception to the Christian's obligation to tell the truth. In reply to these the following is given:

God's Word commands: "Speak truth each of you with his neighbor." (Eph. 4:25) This command, however, does not mean that we should tell everyone who asks us all he wants to know. We must tell the truth to one who is entitled to know, but if one is not so entitled we may be evasive ... As a soldier of Christ he is in theocratic warfare and he must exercise added caution when dealing with God's foes. Thus the Scriptures show that for the purpose of protecting the interests of God's cause, it is proper to hide the truth from God's enemies .

[Emphasis Added]

• Satanus
    Satanus

I think that the more that govts get involved in the affairs of it's citizens, the more danger there is. I hate the wt, but i love freedom, freedom of religion, freedom of movement, freedom to choose my own inebrient, freedom to do what i want (not hurting anyone else, of course), and all the other freedoms that people have fought for since the last few hundred years. If govts start legislating against a flawed religion, what and who will be next. There are civil laws in place that help us to fight wt abuse. This has just started, and will snowball. I have faith in the basic human nature to force the wt's hand without sacrificing one of it's own cherished posessions. But i'm with you in spirit, hawkaw.

SS

• Scully
    Scully

dmouse:

I'd be very interested in reviewing the letter you wrote to your Member of Parliament. I'm considering doing the same thing here, but would appreciate having a look at the points you raise in your letter. My e-mail address is open.

Thank you in advance.

Love, Scully

• dmouse
    dmouse

Thanks for your input and advice Hawkaw, and others.

Rest assured that I will be pursuing this issue with the Secretary, especially the 'Theocratic warfare' view! I understand your concerns SS but this is a group whose beliefs DO hurt innocent people. They must be forced to conform with commonly accepted standards of decency, outlined in the law of the country.

Yours in the fine fight,

dmouse

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

Hang in there, people. I'm with SaintSatan. As much BS as the WT spews, we don't want to help create an oppresive government, which would be even worse. I'm in the US and the policy here is the same. They just flat won't get involved in controlling religions, but the criminal and civil avenues are there. To be "free," which we obviously aren't, (a book in itself), we always need less government intervention in my way of thinking. If people are retarded enough to join a cult or drink gasoline, I say go for it. I don't want to be regulated any more than I am. I applaud them going to talk to the representatives of the WT, though. Maybe put a little scare in them. As for us, nail 'em with lawsuits and criminal charges. "You can hit 'em with a 2 x 4, or an 8 1/2 x 11." Guess which gets there attention better? :-)

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Ok I must have missed something somewhere, who got murdered?

• Simon
    Simon

Sorry Hawk ... I just meant that *something* is better than nothing. Sorry if it came across stronger than intended.

Of course I think they deserve much stronger attention.

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=33872&site=3

I am still plugging away as well,this was the start.

Take care,

Rich.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Simon,

You rock!!!!

Take care and lets find out if this MSNBC stuff that is being reported is true or not!!!

hawk

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Hello :o)

To help put this in perspective for those unfamiliar with the British Govt, the MP in question, Patricia Hewitt is a member of the Cabinet with roughly the same responsibilities as the US Commerce Secretary. She is an elected MP.

Patricia Hewitt is, therefore, very senior - much more so than Hilary Benn who is a Junior Minister in the Home Office (and son of Tony Benn a former Deputy Leader of the Labour Party).

Patricia is politically associated with the New Labour project and a noted supporter of children's and women's rights. She is not one, therefore, to be fobbed off. Nor do I think that Hilary Benn is fobbing her off.

Britain leaves voluntary organisations alone unless they are associated with law breaking. Individuals are subject to the same law of the land as anyone else and there is no special treatment because you are a member of a religious organisation.

If the WTBTS can be shown to either

encourage people not to comply with the law

to have colluded with law breakers

or have broken the law itself

they will be pursued by the police in the same way as any other member of the public.

If people want the law changed, they need to say in what way they would like it changed and why. There always have to be good public reasons for changes in the law, but in an area like child protection, the Government will be on the side of the children, not institutions.

BUT the Government will need persuading to act.

Patricia Hewitt is one of the best people to be championing this cause. It would be a bit like being Colin Powell if you wanted to lobby President Bush.

The Labour Party conference starts this weekend in Blackpool. I have this evening been speaking to a family member who is attending to meet with certain Ministers and I have raised this matter with them. I want to pass some more detailed information on - but - does anyone know what are the reporting laws - or lack of them - on child abuse in the UK??????

If we don't have mandatory reporting, this would perhaps be the best line to pursue - but I need any info on this that anyone can dig up - please.

Child abuse is in the public eye in this country at the moment - and with an Early Day motion mention by Patricia Hewitt, now is the time to pursue this. I was advised that other avenues where members can help advertise this cause are ChildLine, the NSPCC, The Children's Society etc. The Government would be certain to discuss any changes to the law with these and other organisations/charities relating to children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit