Canadian trial ends......almost.....thanks to all

by needs_lots 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Simon
    Simon

Well done (((Vicki)))

January is a long time to wait !
    I hope you get the result that you deserve.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Vicki,

Your victory is already assured. Win or lose, the WTS's reputation is blackened. Yet again. The publicity alone has done more damage to their lies and evil than any court victory on their part could ever mitigate.

Farkel

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

Vicki........we are all so very proud of you and your ability to under go this, be assured that we are all thinking of you and wish you and your family well...........

J Gull

• wordchick
    wordchick

I love you, Vicki, and I am proud of you!

• mouthy
    mouthy

((((hug))) I love you Vickie so much -I was so proud sitting in the court watching your courage- I got sick watching them put there hand on the Bible & lie-

You have done so much for SO many-just by bringing it to the attention of Canada.

Even the reporter told me his sister -in-law is JW he said "this is just the tip of the ice berg" He saw Glen Howe throw the card at me!!!!

If I can help in any way Vickie let me know I did speak to Scott about maybe I could help a bit monatary...He said not to worry at this point- let me know I speak at churches telling folks what to say to the Dub that calls at Their door- & they give me maybe $ 30.00 each time- I know it isnt much but I will pass it on with my love- let me know .

you have my card & address- Grace

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hi (((((Vicki))))):

I'm glad you are back at home now with your loving family. You were an inspiration to me to see you stand up to the WTS henchmen and it was well worth the early hours and late nights in order to be there with you whenever I could.

To personally see the disgraceful arrogance and willful lies was sickening to say the least. To watch the former Bethel lawyer sneer and pretend he didn't recognize the "Flock Book" and lie about his recollections with such authority, made me sick.

To watch elders justify their actions, by lying that you had a choice to not attend the meetings they called, is hypocrisy in the highest form. They have to live with themselves and I hope their consciences stab them out of a peaceful sleep everynight, until hopefully they too will see the WTS for what it is and for what it molded them to do.

I'm sure the newspaper articles posted here for all to see, and the many court events that were described in detail, have been an eye-opener to many sitting on the fence and lurking here.

Most of all Vicki, I hope getting this out in the open, to show the world what the elders put you through, helped you gain some comfort and justice. I hope you can gain some healing from this to know that finally you have alot of support and that we are not among the many that made you feel guilty for what your father did.

As others have already said, we are hoping for the best outcome for you, but no matter what happens, you have paved the way for many now gain the strength to stand up and fight for themselves and for the many others that still can't.

Please do drop by to keep yourself and us posted and my email is always open to you.

Had Enough

Edited by - Had Enough on 27 September 2002 20:1:40

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hi Vicki!!!!!

You are way too cool and so is Scott!!!

The judge will give her decision in January. A very long time to wait.

Actually this is quick for a case like this.

Trials are extremely difficult to go through for victims because the defence has the right to "test" the evidence. In this case Watchtower lawyers really tried to attack the credibility of a lot of witnesses including Vicki. It was wrong to do ad hominem attacks that had nothing to do with the facts - even the judge said this in Mott-Trille's cross examination and in the end the judge will ignore it because it had nothing to do with the case except to try to hurt Vicki again.

I am very proud of how Vicki held her own in this trial. I have observed quite a few trials now and most don't hold up like Vicki.

I think Vicki is right in this case. The Judge bought into her testimony and I think she will believe the evidence of Harold Mumm and Frank Mott Trille and the "written notes" of Longworth. I don't think the defence did anything to help their case. And of course in tort trials a judge only has to use the "balance of probabilities" to determine one witness over another and determine if Vicki was harmed (a lower standard than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard found in criminal trials). For example the judge stated that she will will take the evidence from Vicki's mental health expert and disregard the WTS's mental health expert.

So what is the problem? .... the duty of a voluntary religious organization. Does it and its agents have a duty to protect Vicki from these confrontations with the elders and not prevent her from getting medical help. That's it. Vicki's and other's evidence clearly showed she was wronged and harmed. The evidence also shows the Judicial Committees were formed to determine the guilt or innocence of the molester, Gower Palmer, and not the guilt or innocence of Vicki. She in effect was only a witness in these mock trials and thus, she should have been at least protected and not "re-raped". There is a Statute which outlines a "standard of care" (ie. forthwith report which the elders clearly failed to do). But find the theory of negligence to fit the harm - a breach of a fidicuary duty - it will be the first of its kind in Canada and I think in the USA too.

Charles Mark did not enter a lot of paper evidence that he should have used in my opinion. There was also a "fumble" with Penton/Anderson and his case law examples were few. But there was other evidence from elders and former elders that replaced it. Harold Mumm's and Frank Mott Trille evidence sticks in my mind as solid evidence showing the duty. I also think the Toronto elder's notes were helpful too. And Mark did find case law showing a WTS case where they were found liable from some years back. I think the judge has enough to make a good decision and I think now she has a 60 percent chance of coming to a decision that the elders did in fact owe Vicki a duty to protect her (but that is only my guess).

I also think that the WTS and its agents clearly showed a willful recklessness as well as negligence in this case - elder Brown admitted in "evidence in chief" that he didn't even follow WTS policy. And because of that if the Judge does determine there is a "duty" then there will be punitive damages awarded to Vicki.

In any event it has been one hell of a September in the Greater Toronto Area for the Watchtower. And every single press person that went to the trial and a lot of others who didn't have told me they will be reporting on the verdict in January.

Vicki - thanks for everything and enjoy your "courage award" that was presented to you from Silentlambs yesterday (in your absence) at the march. You defintely showed a lot of courage.

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 28 September 2002 8:17:25

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit