Dateline/Panorama/Silent Lambs, Whats Changed?

by conoroberst 21 Replies latest jw friends

• conoroberst
    conoroberst

So now in the space of a few short months television Programmes on National Networks in The US, UK, Canada and Australia. We see regular newspaper articles and radio phone ins on the subject. But is anything changing? I would say NO.

Being a (sort of) active JW I am in regular contact with witnesses in Good Standing, the common opinion (not necessarily the correct one) seems to be that the prgrammes have shown an unbalanced viewpoint and as such the message has not been heeded. The good dubs think that the media have got in for the JWs and so take no heed of the truths that have been talked about. The only ones that seem to have taken any note are the more thinking JWs, the only problem here being that these are the ones that recognize that the organization and elders are fallible and so expect them to make mistakes. They also recognize that the "two witnesses" policy can be argued in scripture and that ministers around the world use their "privilidge" of silence in respect of the actions of their parishoners (i.e, catholic priests who formerly covered up for Irish Bombers). To these people (of which i include myself in that group) it would seem that the society have got it wrong and they have made mistakes, but they are men.

In addition I have only had it brought up by one person in field service and by no-one at work, do the public at large care? When people hear or watch these things on TV (unless they have an interest in the religion) just switch off or over as it's just another religious scandal. The society make great noise about how people in general view Dubs as different, but in most cases this is not the case.

Marches, phone ins and events organized for the media might make the organizers feel happier, but in practical terms is it doing anything, is it changing anything, will it?

I would hope that the society will change their policy (whether it can be argued in scripture or not) and report to the police ANY allegations of this nature. But if the society don't will people leave in droves, will congress/parliament ban them or raid bethel..I think not.

Over to you guys for your opinions anyway.

• ISP
    ISP

I think a fair deal has changed. The WTS have taken it all very seriously. I have ongoing correspondance with the WTS over the matter. I will post them the letters when I am through with it all.

I know an elder that agrees with the Panorama programme and cannot believe the WTS stance. I think its too early to say. Take a look at this years figures in the Jan 1st WT before passing judgment!

ISP

• Celia
    Celia

In addition I have only had it brought up by one person in field service and by no-one at work, do the public at large care?

You know what ? Most people --- even if they have seen these programs and newspapers' articles and believe the child sexual abuse is true and is kept secret by the organization and its members ---because these "householders" are too polite and know that the old ladies showing up at their door have nothing to do with these horrors, they will not even bring it up, but they will certainly not start a "bible" study with any JW showing up at their door, and will never become a member of the sect.

It happened to me only a few weeks ago --- 2 ladies showed up --- I talked about other things, not the child abuse scandal... But I probably will bring it up next time.

• bay64me
    bay64me

I am not an active witness, but have fairly regular contact with active witnesses, not so active and even elders and their wives occasionally. I have yet to hear any one of them mention anything whatsoever about the subject of paedophilia, However, I'm not so sure that it's not the case of just sweeping it under the carpet or not!

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

What can be done to provide support, therapy, counseling and the like to victims- that should be the focus. That is a good thing that has and can be done. Forcing changes? That is another issue all together. My mother is a JW who attends the KH near to where Barbara Anderson went to the Hall. In Mom's congregation the rank and file know little if nothing of her, Bowen or silent lambs. As to the general public? They are focused on Iraq, Bush and other issues that are more personal to them.

Personally I believe that a good focus of positive support for victims will have a much better effect than any number of negative actions delivered in hopes of changing or destroying an organization. Putting someone or some organization on the defensive only slows change. A good negotiator seeks a positive dialoge with the one he seeks to change in order to gain the response he wants.

When a fugitive holes himself up in a room, armed with hostages the police negotiator seeks to calm and reason the dangerous person so that he can be reasoned with. Putting an individual on the defensive through personal attacks closes doors.

Fighting fire with fire? Just don't sound right to me.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    The only ones that seem to have taken any note are the more thinking JWs, the only problem here being that these are the ones that recognize that the organization and elders are fallible and so expect them to make mistakes. They also recognize that the "two witnesses" policy can be argued in scripture and that ministers around the world use their "privilidge" of silence in respect of the actions of their parishoners (i.e, catholic priests who formerly covered up for Irish Bombers). To these people (of which i include myself in that group) it would seem that the society have got it wrong and they have made mistakes, but they are men.

I don't see how imperfect humans could make mistakes that cause children the kind of suffering that has happened. Just because the "elders" are imperfect - God is not and therefore should have had this issue resolved decades ago (my abuse was during the 70's for goodness sake). From your argument, I would say the only bright light JW's receive is on dates, not real social issues that they publish articles on. Also, to use as an example, continually pointing at the Catholic religion & their mistakes/decisions is really a poor example for the only true religion isn't it? Why do JW's always compare themselves to other religions when it suits their purpose, but lambast same religion when that suits them? Not arguing with you - just pointing out something that always bugged me when I was a JW

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It has made a big difference.

My wife, although not regular, firmly believes what the society teaches. This issue has gotten though to her. Her mother claims its all the work of apostates, but this actually helps the cause. My wife can see that the tv networks, the reporters, the newspapers, the judges, and others cannot all be apostate. The society's coverup job is not working with her. If anything it is making it worse.

For many people, this is one more chink in the armor.

Don't forget that JWs are a small fringe group. When only 1/3 of 1% of the population is JW, you can't expect rioting in the streets over this issue. If this is noticed by 5% of all JWs, and only one in five of those ones are shaken, this has a major impact on the organization. Yet it only represents only one person out of every 30,000 in the country.

When you are the fringe of a fringe group, the numbers do not need to be big to be significant.

Probably the biggest impact is on interested ones. Studies and conversions have been drying up for quite a while now. This is one more nail in the conversion coffin.

• conoroberst
    conoroberst

the suffering is not caused by the elders, it is caused by the abuser, obviously additional suffering can be caused if the abused puts there hope in their elder and the elder, due to the societies policy or scripture does not (after questioning the accused) report it to the police.

by saying that God should sort the problems out directly within the congregation i guess you are implying that Jehovah "pulls the strings" within the WBTS, I think by the number of times that they have got it wrong it shows that he is not. My personal philosophy is that the WBTS try very hard, and PROBABLY are the closest to the biblical standard, but essesntially it is still a religion forged and formed by men, and hence will make mistakes and act stupidly. I think the probblems arise when you start thinking the WTBTS is gods mouthpiece.

I think the catholic church is an easy target becaue a) it is VERY big, and b) it is hypocritical

Edited by - conoroberst on 26 September 2002 18:39:10

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

The one known as ISP saideded:

Take a look at this years figures in the Jan 1st WT before passing judgment!

Er, what do they say?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

From your posts, you stated you were a "sort-of" active witness. As one, does the rank & file JW's no longer believe the WTBS is the "mouthpiece" of God? When I was a JW, not only were they the mouthpiece, they were the wife! Has this changed?

And, may I ask how the Catholic religion is hypocritical? If you are talking about their covering up their priest abuse of children, they aren't the ones passing judgement on EVERY other religion. The only ones that tend to do that are....you guessed it! the JW's.

Also, in any religion - SUPPORT for the victim is the first thought. I have heard of MANY who were actually double victimized because they were the ones outcasted for their complaints - most of whom had never reported to government authorities, but were just trying to protect others within their own congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit