GROSS INCOME!

by Kagloo 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kagloo
    Kagloo

A question....

I have already mentioned this on another thread but got no answer... perhaps someone here can help...

It has been reported that the WTBTS 'made' (what ever that means) $931 Million in 2000. What does that mean? Is that Gross Income or Turnover or Profit or what...

And secondly... if that is so what do we have to compare the figure with? For instance... what did The Latter Day Saints gross in the same period or what did the Catholic Church make? You can't condemn a Society in isolation. Would it not be wiser and fairer to make comparisons with others to see the differences etc.

For instance I heard on a 'DISCOVERY' documentary recently that the Catholic Church has $Billions in Artworks, money, real esatet and the like, and no doubt other religious organisations have what might seem huge sums of income...

So just what is the 'balanced' facts of the matter... I weant to see lots of figures not just one taken in isolation and then roundly condemned with no comparison to others made...

Any ideas on this one?

• link
    link

I don't know but I would guess that the big numbers are turnover.

The question that keeps coming to my mind though is, with a turnover like, that there must be a profit generated somewhere even if they don't want it. If this is the case, is the profit just reinvested, put on deposit in an interest bearing account or distributed to a person or persons?

Anybody got any ideas on this?

link

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

There are huge amounts spent on building KH, branch buildings, convention halls, expenditure for COs etc. Money are given from one country to another as gifts or as loans, building goods are bought in one country and given as a gift to another, I don't think there is a vast surplus massed up somewhere. Funds might grow for a time, but then money is taken from them to finance other things. The investment or sleeping or passive sum or whatever you call it, of course grows thru buildings etc., but there hardly is a huge cash bank box somewhere. Expence cutting plans at branches etc. tell there is no real surplus.

• Kagloo
    Kagloo

LINK...

You're right... I suppose they must make millions just in Interest on deposit accounts..yes?

• Kagloo
    Kagloo

TheOld Hippie...

Cut backs could also be due to falling numbers of publishers in some countries perhaps... What do you think?

• ballistic
    ballistic

Personally, I think the cut-backs are due to a consolidation of branches. They will be cutting back facilities altogether in countries such as France where there they have to pay tax, and printing in more centralised locations. They are looking to get printing figures in line with their medium to long term predictions for logistical reasons.

• BIBLE BASHER
    BIBLE BASHER

You are a little bit mis-guided kagloo the figure that you quoted is what the org is worth including assests. Because of the fact they are a registerd charity there quoted worth is moneys on hand and assets and they certainly have a lot of them. so dont lose sleep over it if yoy are not happy stop contributing. look after yourself o suffering one

• Kagloo
    Kagloo

Bible Basher.....

Misguided?

I take your point that the assets are probably included in the figures... but I would need to see 'proof of that' to verify!

Secondly... the figure quoted, as I understand it was for just one of the WTBTS 'Companies' in the U.S.

You seem to have missed the point of the question (with respect).

The whole point of the question was to ascertain the level of income,assets...call it what you will.... when seen in the light of the position of other similar Organisations! As yet no one has addressed that comparison! Fiscal assets are obviously tied to the number of adherents/contributors and so there might obviously be some apparent anomily...i.e. an organisation with 20 million followers might have more income than one with 6 million!!! But using simple mathematic logic it should be easy to work out some sort of per capita figure.

And last of all...! I certainly don't lose sleep over it! Nor will the truth of the matter affect my contributions one way or the other.....

Ah well... back to my lowlyl life of suffering!!!!

p.s. How's 'the face' ?

• Sprocket
    Sprocket

As a registered charity we will probably never see all the numbers.

I am curious where you saw this figure from. I would like to know to get some perspective on the matter. If it is accurate and it is Gross Income, then that is income recieved from all sources (contributions, estate donations, interest earned on cash or cash equivalent, interest earned from mortgages they loan out to build Kingdon Halls, etc.). Gross income does not include balance sheet items (e.g. assets) and it is income before expenses (C.Os, Bethel, etc.).

Let me know. You have got me curious.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"Where 900 Million dollars are gathered together, there I am."

GB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit