'Great Earthquakes'

by No Apologies 11 Replies latest jw friends

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

In a followup to the March 22, 2002 Awake series of articles on earthquakes, the Nov 8, 2002 Awake has a letter from a reader questioning the frequency of earthquakes.

Earthquakes I read the cover series "Earthquake Survivors Tell Their Story." (March 22, 2002) In it you quote a source stating that"earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude and greater remained 'fairly constant' throughout the20th century." Yet the 1999 World Almanac shows a dramatic increase in earthquakes during the 1990's.

"Awake!" responds: Without taking sides on this issue, our article merely pointed out what some seismologists assert regarding the overall frequency of earthquakes in the 20th century. The point was made that even if one believes that the number of earthquakes has remained "fairly constant," Jesus' prophecy recorded in Matthew 24 is being fulfilled in our era. Jesus simply said that "great earthquakes would occur.--Luke 12:11.

This is amazing! I guess all those Watchtower publications such as the Reasoning book, that claimed a major increase in the frequency of earthquakes since 1914, are now officially "old light." Unbelievable!

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

i just wanted to post somethign so that blank in the "last posters" of "I couldn't believe what i was hearing" and "tinks Surgery" could be filled. it was starting to bother me. :-D ~FS

Edited by - fiveshadows on 25 September 2002 23:36:6

• DJ
    DJ

[email protected] know what you mean!

No Apologies,

Yup, Yup, and Yup. None of it ever surprises me anymore though. New light.....LOL....what a joke and a bad one at that! Their idea of new light is the same thing as common knowledge to the rest of us. For instance, I remember when clicking glasses for a toast was a no-no. It was pagan. I hear the light got brighter on that one too, as now it is a matter of conscience. I'm still waiting for God Bless You to be allowed when someone sneezes.I suppose that's a tricky one though because they would have to Jehovah Bless You and........on second thought that might be a good idea for them because that way when a heathen sneezes......they could count it as time.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

A new Reasong book will be published in December / January, undoubtedly with these changes.

I asked a similar question, and the response was: The article deals with the question of earthquakes from a different angle. The footnote state that "some claim that every increase in reported earthquakes merely is due to technical progress which has enabled us to gather information about more seismic shake-ups." Please note that when the US center for earthquake information states that the frequency was rather constant during the last century, nothing is said as to whether or not there were more or stronger quakes in the 20th century as compared to previous centuries. Without taking sides on this issue, our article merely pointed out what some seismologists assert regarding the overall frequency of earthquakes in the 20th century. The point was made that even if one believes that the number of earthquakes has remained "fairly constant," Jesus' prophecy recorded in Matthew 24 is being fulfilled in our era. Jesus simply said that "great earthquakes would occur.--Luke 12:11.

(My translation) Clearly quite a few have asked the question, and a standard reply has been produced.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Not much of a sign then is it? Like saying 'and it will get dark at night.'

Further official information on this topic:

http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/general/handouts/increase_in_earthquakes.html

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"There will be earthquakes - sometimes more frequent, sometimes less - sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller - but yes, there will be earthquakes."

And darkness at night, as you say. And as a rule sunshine - or rain and cloudy - at daytime.

But it will be, definetly, yes.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think this 'sign' is a little shakey.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The biggest "earthquake" to hit the JWs is Silent Lambs. An after shock is the UN scandal, and other tremmors are daily recorded here before you all.

Too bad for the literalists.

carmel

• WTinfiltrated
    WTinfiltrated

<< In a followup to the March 22, 2002 Awake series of articles on earthquakes, the Nov 8, 2002 Awake has a letter from a reader questioning the frequency of earthquakes.>>

It's me.

F.A. Italy

• ballistic
    ballistic

You're famous!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit