How do ex-JW's actually choose another religion?

by buffy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Gywen
    Gywen

Buffy,

I am so glad you are free from the WT with your life and sanity intact. I will pray for you.

You describe my feelings ("I have no desire to ever set foot in any church") after I got out of the WT (back in 1995 when the "New Light" on the 1914 generation came out). I hear this sentiment expressed a lot, and beleive it is normal coming out of a high control cult like the WT.

I agree with others in saying "give it time". I went through the phase you describe, and I believe others have too. Even after 7 years, I still don't want to go to church, even though I am a member of one! (and its a great church...don't get me wrong)

The best thing I can tell you up front, is too get your hands on Steven Hassan's books, like "Combatting Cult Mind Control". (he has a newer book also). He is an expert and a leading Exit-Counselor. He is a survivor from a cult himself.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0892813113/qid=1033165798/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/104-0027374-4711140?v=glance&n=507846

One of the reasons why it is important to read one of his books, is so you do not fall into another cult...as another has already pointed out as being common.

Personally, I beleive that just about any Protestant denomination would be great for you. Spiritual development is a long road..it is not as simple as reading a red covered "Live Forever" book. Salvation is by Christ's finished work on the cross, through faith, plus nothing. Ephesians 2:8

"Keep seeking as for hid treasures, and you will find", is what the promise is.

In Christ

• justhuman
    justhuman

It is a fact that most who leave JW have same fears like you do. Personally I have decided not to follow any religion, for many reasons, for me it is enough to put my faith in Jesus Christ my Lord and my Savior. Because faith in Jesus Christ save us. It doesn't matter were to you belong. (Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant). It matters to whom you belong.

Although I have found many things by studying other Christian domenations, I realize that all of them they have similar things, and I have found information that JW couldn't give. Specially the JW interpretation of some Bible verses it shows that they put their doctrines above the Bible. It was more easy for me to find out this verses and compare them with the original Greek scriptures because I'm Greek(I remember that one of the Annointed Ones couldn't have the NWT and still reads the old Greek Bible we had). Although I found answers to my questions through the Orthodox Church still I don't feel to join them. I can go to Sunday service, pray, and that helps me a lot.

So my friend it is in Jesus that we belong and not to any Church, specially the ones that they declare the have the "Truth".

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Buffy--FWIW, I'd take the search slow. One resource on here is in the recent thread "Q & A about choosing a religion" or something like that--search with the phrase "Q & A" and you'll find it. There's a link taking you to a website where you're asked 20 questions about religion and you give a priority to each answer, and then you get a list of 27 different belief systems with % matches to your answers (plus links for fuller explanations of each if you want).

I don't know whether to call it providential, coincidental, or eerie that I've (again) been kicking around this very same question in my head the latter part of this week when I found this thread. (Looking for an omen, maybe?)

What intrigues, or maybe disturbs me the most (not in a bad way though--food for thought kind of way) is why I, who've done OK over the past few years not being religious, keep feeling this need. Especially since I was a JW for much less than a year and have been out for two decades. Why now?

Is it a type of dependency? An inner envy of what others seem to have (inner peace, a sense of values, spirituality--the last, I agree, is how you live and not just beliefs)? The calling of the Holy Spirit? Were we designed to seek out a relationship with God, or some Higher Power? I don't know, but as always there's much to think about in what's been said so far.

I might check out the local UU church in my area. If nothing else, it might be a way to slowly ease back into the spiritual scene.

• Deist
    Deist

"I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life. I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow creatures happy." --The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine

The author of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States made these observations:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned: yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and terror all over the earth." --Notes on the State of Virginia (1781-1782)

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticism that three are one and one is three, and yet, that the one is not three, and the three are not one....But this constitutes the craft, the power, and the profits of the priests. Sweep away their gossamer fabrics of fictitious religion and they would catch no more flies." --Letter to John Adams, 1813

All this sounds simple, I know, but one is much less encumbered and more able to think and appreciate life for what one makes of it.

If you want to help children, consider this site: http://www.childrenshealthcare.org/

Best wishes,

Deist
    Edited by - Deist on 29 September 2002 4:4:52

Edited by - Deist on 30 September 2002 2:25:41

• ambush22
    ambush22

all organized religion os a joke

• Poorhatsoap
    Poorhatsoap

Hi Buffy, others.... this is my first post here but when I saw the topic I new I should post. I feel exactly the same as you Buffy, ok well maybe not quite exactly but pretty close. I was raised a JW, baptised when I was 16 and left over 6 years ago. As a result I find the *subject* of religion an extremely interesting topic/discussion point as far as historicity goes, but I have *no* desire whatsoever to look into any other religions or to "find god" again. Uh uh.... no thanks :o) It's always kinda depressing to see how spiritual other ex-JWs remain, I thought I must have been one of the only people to just get turned off religion altogether! Anyway, I've read the other replies etc so far and I know some of you will feel the need to "pray" for me, but I'd prefer you didn't... I just wanted to say hi and let Buffy know that she's not alone!

Anyway, take care all and look forward to reading more posts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit