If the Borg should fall....

by home_and_dry 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It would have to get to the stage I think where there was a 'critical mass' of leavers.

If 1 person in a KH leaves then so what? but when 5 ro 10 leave they have a problem.

When the ones left start to feel like they are the minority then I can't see them sticking it out much. Would YOU have stayed in your KH if half of the people left?

The JW's today are not the zealous, steadfast group they once were as they now live on a watered down set of beliefs and many are really only in it for the social aspects.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

I don't see that happening, but if it did, I would kiss and make-up with my family.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I think Simon would need ALOT more help!

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Simon, the unbelievable thing is that ALOT do stay, even with only half of their congregation left.

I recently found out a little about my old cong and I was genuinly shocked. When I left in 1994 the congregation had around 150 publishers, about 10 reg pioneers and 12 elders. Usually in April there would be around 30 aux pioneers. Same in September.

Now my old congregation has 49 (count em!) publishers. And 3 Elders. I don't know about pioneers. So two thirds of the publishers are gone, and three quarters of the Elders. But the ones that are left seem totally oblivious to what's going on around them.

The congregation originally divided in 1991 as it outgrew the KH and I remember at the time the Hall seemed really empty for a while but within a year or so it had filled up again. Now it looks like the two 'new' congregations may have to regroup to form one single cong again.

I think the Elders have been holding off doing that because it would show to be a huge step backwards. I remember all the excitement at the time when the congregation split into two because of such 'growth', what will they think if they have to go back to being a single cong again?

• Perry
    Perry

Imagine if one day the Borg were to release a letter to each cong in the world to be read simultaneously. And in that letter it said that the borg had decided to stop functioning completely.

WE could start putting our families back together?

• benext
    benext

In the US growth in the English field has stopped. The congs. are getting older. The younger ones are either leaving, being D/F or living double lives. If it weren't for growth in the Spanish and other language fields there would be a steep decline. In my old hall one congregation was disbanded and if that CO were still there only one English congregation would remain. Between the two congs. about a half of the pubs. were either Bethelites or sisters who had moved here to go to Bethel or marry a Bethelite.

The time may come where JW's will no longer be viewed as a U.S. religion.

If the letter went out the gossiping would still go on, only in individual homes instead of F/S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit