Dinah, guilty or not guilty

by sableindian 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I would say that Dinah was very giving, and too innocent to understand the impropriety of the relationship - how Shechem desired her - her beautiful countenance.

But even so, Jacob was forgiving, and had the foreigners come to understand their love of God, things would have gone well. But, Shechem thought could earn what he desired if he did what he thought was asked - and so proceed to try and buy.

"But if you will not listen to us and be circumcised"

The brothers of course didn't have Jacob's patience, and couldn't cope with having a dark minded sod trying to buy their sister - so they didn't wait.

paduan

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hello Paduan,

Notice that Shechem thought the brothers were his friends. That was his claim before his men. The deal was that they intermarry and take possession of part of the land and Shechem would marry Dinah but they had to get circumcised.

"But Jacob's sons answered Shechem and his father Hamor with deceit, because he had defiled Dinah their sister."

They deceived him.

And, who was the family head anyway. Patience comes from Jacob's peers. These were not his peers. They were his sons. They were subversive in their dealings and they paid for it. Jacob told them and he remembered what they did in his old age. He did not just wipe what they did away with, "if only they had been a little more patient". And notice, they talked BACK to their father! Really now! These boys had a little more problem than impatience.

• teejay
    teejay

The story of what happened to Dinah is just another of those bible passages that never made much sense to me. Does now.

Good comments Vivamus / all. Not much more to add.

Good thread, Q.

p.s. Is "The Red Tent" posted online?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Of course the most likely story is that this never happened at all, or perhaps is loosely based on a real event that was much smaller in scope and severity.

• sableindian
    sableindian

Aw, spoil sport! Of course, I would sure like to hear your version. Maybe your book would be more interesting than THE RED TENT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit