U of Houston article: Elders should report abuse

by Fire Dragon 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

There is an interesting article in today's "Daily Cougar," which is the University of Houston's daily student newspaper. It's entitled "Should Elders report child abuse?"

Our own Ephanyminitas wrote this article! The article -- originally entitled "Jehovah's Witnesses' policy on child abuse" (he thought they'd use that) -- is permanently available at

http://www.stp.uh.edu/vol68/21/opinion/oped3

Volume 68, Issue 1, Date

Opinion

Should Elders report child abuse?

Guest Columnist

It seems the controversy concerning child molestation in the Catholic Church has finally calmed down. But now the spotlight is turning on another religious group: Jehovahs Witnesses.

Jehovahs Witnesses are an American-born fundamentalist sect known mostly for its mandatory preaching work. It is led by the Brooklyn, N.Y.-based Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, which claims six million members worldwide and one million in the United States. Members are part of an extremely close-knit society that has its own way of life, its own values and its own judiciary.

Jehovahs Witnesses have been under increasing pressure recently because of their child abuse policy. In a statement on its Web site, the Society explains; "When any Jehovahs Witness is accused of an act of child abuse, the local congregation elders are expected to investigate." Not local authorities the elders. In America, only 16 states require all allegations of abuse to be reported to the authorities; and in those 34 states where its not required, elders prefer to handle such matters internally.

Child abuse typically leaves only two witnesses to the crime the perpetrator and the young victim. The abuser is unlikely to confess, and this leaves only one witness the victim, a terrified and violated child who is intimidated into silence by either threats or the belief that he (or she) has done something terribly wrong in Gods eyes.

When the matter is brought to light (often through the victims brave actions), the Society explains that congregation elders should meet with the young accuser and the accused separately. If the accused adult still denies the allegations, then a second meeting is arranged, with both the accuser and the accused present at the same time. If "during that meeting the accused still denies the charges and no others can substantiate them, the elders cannot take action within the congregation at that time." Basically, the accused molester gets off the hook.

Witnesses claim that this is so because of the injunction in the Bible at Deuteronomy 19:15, which says that accusations can only stand if they are corroborated by at least two or three witnesses.

But is a child likely to speak out accurately and comfortably with his (or her) rapist sitting right across the room, glaring at him? Is it right to force a raped child to confront his molester? And more, do Jehovahs Witnesses have the right to supersede the authorities and place a proper investigation in jeopardy?

You might ask, what kind of "action within the congregation" can be taken? Unrepentant wrongdoers will likely be expelled and shunned. But if a wrongdoer acts repentant, then an announcement will be made that this person has been "reproved" by a judicial committee. In either case, no one outside of the situation such as parents of other young children is told of the wrongdoers admittance to raping a child. How can they say that children are safe within their Kingdom Halls?

Why no mention of local authorities yet? In its statement, the Society makes its position clear. After reporting the alleged wrongdoing to their local branch office (which in turn notifies the Societys headquarters), "the elders may be required by law to report even uncorroborated or unsubstantiated allegations to the authorities. If so, we expect the elders to comply." If, however, the congregation resides in a state where reporting isnt mandatory, time has shown that the crime rarely gets reported. Again, better that it is handled without involving the law.

The Societys secret database of child offenders holds well over twenty thousand names, but the Society has declined to share this list with the authorities. The Society has repeatedly declined interviews about this issue, instead offering videotapes and statements full of even contradictions. It makes one wonder, what are they hiding?

The "safety of our children is of the utmost importance," they say. But since they keeping everything hidden, it appears that their reputation is whats most important. The next time a Jehovahs Witnesses talks with you, you should ask him or her about this topic. Carefully examine the answers they give you, and see if Jehovahs Witnesses are really concerned about the children and not their own image.

-Fire on behalf of Ephy

Edited by - Simon on 28 September 2002 2:49:55

• JT
    JT

email message I sent to him for his article:

Excellent pc of work. i hope many will read it

thanks

James

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

Yup, it's me. So much for anonymity, huh? I felt that this was a big enough issue to risk my identity being blown locally. Hopefully, though, no one will see it that knows me (see my "returning for family members" thread). I really put a lot on the line in publishing this, since I'm still in the organization (I'm "inactive" and my parents are Witnesses). Still, I hope this will get the word around campus! This is a big problem, I'm seeing more and more.

The "Daily Cougar" is distributed around the entire campus, and I do see people reading it; thus, I expect that quite a few people will read it. (Just hopefully no one I know!) That ending might get a few people asking local Witnesses (like the ones at that table on-campus) just what the heck is going on in the organization. I tried to be as neutral as possible in the article, so as not to risk giving anyone (i.e. The Elders) ammution to work with. I just have fair questions about one specific policy, right? But in the end, we'll just have to see what happens to me. I felt a journalistic obligation to inform my fellow students about this issue. And it was tough to fit as much information as I could in such a small space!

Augh! What was I thinking? <:-) I just hope this won't come back and bite me in the butt!

Edited by - ephanyminitas on 24 September 2002 14:50:26

• rocky220
    rocky220

Dont worry about this coming back to haunt you.....your helping children!!!!!! May I make a suggestion or maybe even a request, that this essay be E-mailed to O'[email protected] with a plug following about the march in Bklyn. Mr O'Reilly gave a series of shows dedicated to sex-abuse in the catholic church and he gave them hell........but of course it's up to you...I thought this essay was so well written that it should be presented to all Media entities....it has to come out for the sake of the children..........sincerely yours....rocky220

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

I'm helping children. Wow -- that actually hadn't occurred to me. Cool. I will definitely think about the O'Reilly Factor business. Sounds fascinating. I'm pleased as punch that you think my article is well-written. Looking back, I see a couple of other points that I missed or that I could've fit in, but oh well. I could always do another article.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Ephanyminitas,

I was going to ask you to email this link to some friends of mine in Houston because they wont talk to me anymore. Then I read above that you are trying to remain anonymous. So much for that.

Good job on the ariticle.

Jst2laws

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

Jst2laws, feel free to send the article. I wrote it, so my anonymity is questionable anyway. Here is a link to a text-only version of the article without my name: http://tinyurl.com/1mcg. If you can use that one, do so. But if you would really prefer to send the original version, then please go ahead. (If you would prefer that I do it, just e-mail me.) Thanks! I'm glad that you think the article is good enough to send.

Edited by - ephanyminitas on 24 September 2002 18:17:48

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

The idea to do a story on the upcoming march was suggested, and I just might do that. It certainly would give me the opportunity to say some things I didn't get to say in this article ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit