A is for Amish

by heathen 22 Replies latest jw friends

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I just returned from the Library and ipcked up a (nf) book called "Crossing Over-One Woman's Exodus from Amish Life", written by Ruth Irene Garrett. VERY VERY interesting......so much so that I don't want to put it down! Here is what the jacket has to say about the book:

Ruth Irene Garrett's compelling story represents a unique insight into the inner workings of the Amish from someone who has lived among them. As such, it portrays a different view than the publicly held warm and fuzzy notion that the Amish way of life is forever pristine, eternally free from strife.

Ms. Garrett's story is also a story of spiritual triumph. In essence, she is suggesting that no institution comes before the words of the Scriptures, and that no man-or woman-be allowed to serve as judge and jury when it comes to matters of faith.

Irene Garrett is a woman who was oppressed in ways that most of us cannot fathom in this day and age of independence. She serves as inspiration to other woman trapped in cycles of abuse or control.

And finally, her fresh and sometime humorous perspective on modern day life demonstrates how many things we take for granted.

• heathen
    heathen

Now we're getting somewhere.Not even the JW mentioned the abuse in the Amish community,they would however talk about the chronic depression and critisize the reclusive lifestyle as unhealthy in contrast to the vehement attacks on the child abuse in the catholic church .I guess now I know the reason they are so miserable .Sounds like a lifetime movie there scootergirl. PLMKRZY- were you referring to me ? cause I don't remember emailing at all.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I found an interesting article on the Amish written by a Japanese. Although there is a summary in Japanese, it is translated. The Historical Background section gives the various types of Amish groups there are. Another segment: "2. Conflict Between Church and State," even discusses a Jehovah's Witness case "Prince vs. Mass. (1944).

http://www.info.sophia.ac.jp/amecana/Journal/13-3.htm

• puzzled
    puzzled

YEH Sorry Wrong heathen. LOL hahahaha, that new thingy next to the user name throws me off if I don't have my glasses on.

PLUMCRAZY/

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I should have mentioned that like the Jehovah's Witnesses, some Amish practice excommunication (disfellowshipping) and shunning in effort to keep the community pure.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

There is a Mennonite community a little ways south of where I live. (Are Amish and Mennonites the same?) They all wear the traditional clothes and don't send their kids to public schools. But they do have cars and trucks, electricity, running water, etc. They own a restaurant in Montezuma, Ga that is very popular. They own several other businesses around there too.

BTW, Yoder's (the restaurant) is excellent! Everything is fresh, grown and raised by the Mennonites themselves.

Col. Bendrr, [classified]

• animal
    animal

I lived in Lititz, PA... just a click north of Lancaster, PA.... we were pretty much surrounded by the Amish.

They dont preach, they actually like thier privacy and dont trust outsiders. They do like bikers, maybe cuz we have the long beards too and are disliked by society, like them.

They do not use electric, but if they have dairy farms, they have both electric and phone lines to the barn only. This is to purify the milk, and the phone is needed to call the maintainance company in case the purification stuff goes down. It is not unusual to see an Amish dude plowing a field with horses while having a wireless phone hanging out of his back pocket. I hear the dairy farmers call each other.

I worked at New Holland, where we made all kinds of farm equipment. A company around the corner from our plant would take our tractor-driven hay bailers and convert them to diesel-driven balers. Then, the Amish would pull this machine with a horse or two.

Cameras are avoided at all costs.... and mirrors. It has something to do with vanity and the devil.

Beards are not worn until a man gets married... up till then, you have a hairless face.

Also, PA mandated 12 volt lighting systems in the buggies a while back. This opened up a market for stereos in the buggies the younger amish drove around.... and they like them LOUD.

Enuff for now. I loved sharing the road with the horses tho, other than the shit on the roads. It is like ice to a motorcycle tire.

Animal

• heathen
    heathen

That's too much ,animal .no electricity ,mirrors or cameras lol .cell phones and horse driven plows ? horse buggies and loud stereos , you're killing me with that one he he.I take it they are just boom boxes and not car stereos ? I think I realize I could never live that kind of life style so I guess even according to them I am going to hell .

• animal
    animal

They dont look for new converts.... they are very much kept to themselves.

Animal

• Quotes
    Quotes

If you want to hear VERY funny songs, with new lyrics song to Rock&Roll classics, check out ELECTRIC AMISH:

http://www.electricamish.com/

You will be glad you did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit