why did you leave?

by showme 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• showme
    showme

I am not a JW so I don't have any stories about the organization. But I would love to hear about your reasons for leaving.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was born in a JW family... but was also born an atheist. At no time in my life have I ever believed in the supernatural or a higher power.

I stuck it out for years "pretending" to believe in order to keep my family and friends from shunning me. When I got to 25 I could no longer stand it and left the organization.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Allmighty! I'm fee at last!!!

Even an atheist can appreciate those words.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I started studying and was baptised because the Witnesses answered every question I had.

I left and will never go back because they can no longer answer any of my questions.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Was booted out for immorality. Didn't care about it because I was angry that my abusive father was not punished and that they even suggested that he remain an elder. (He stepped down anyway.)

Am not going back because I hate being lied to, and I've learned too much about the organisation to ever want to return. My doubts have been solidified. I'm now borderline agnostic/athiest. Starting to learn towards athiest.

• bay64me
    bay64me

I left because of all the hypocrisy, lack of love, outright lies and quite frankly I got worn out with it all!

• Simon
    Simon

I was forced out because I started asking too many awkward questions that they couldn't answer.

Life is so much sweeter since.

• Tish
    Tish

One day I will tell all, but I was an active witness, my husband left me abruptly after 13 years of happy marriage, we had got married at 17 as we were both borgets.

Once a single parent, over night I went from being looked after by the loving so called shepherds as we had a large house for CO visits, groups etc, to a single mum with 2 children on the edge of a breakdown (too much hard work for the loving elders), so when they found out that I had a friendship with a worldly man who also was going through the same thing, I was shunned, well before any hanky panky, so in my confused state thought if I'm going to get judged for it why not?? Since being DF 18 months ago I have found out that things are shall we say not quite right!! (an understatement I think!)

So I today I am still deprogramming, but when both of my brain cells meet there can be confusion still!!

Tish

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I too got booted for immorality. Actually, I guess it would have been my NON repentence towards immorality that bought me my ticket out.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Bottom line reason was that I had been living a lie by staying with a religion whose doctrines and beliefs I could not live with any longer. I stayed because of wanting to keep family and friends--my foundation of life. I stayed in for more than ten years in that condition and it was wearing away at my soul.

As a child, I was a JDub and a good one, but as I became an adult, I began to reason as an adult. Alas, they just don't let you leave, do they?

Sentinel/Karen

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

Asked every question I could think of when we first started studying. Finally our study-guide (an elder) asked me, "If I tell you nine things that prove to be true, shouldn't you expect the tenth to be true?" Told him that was reasonable but if just one of those "truths" were proven false, I'd have to re-examine all the others. That's what happened! In my case it was the misrepresentations of quotes made by scientists in the Creation Books, that proved to be the "truth" that was a lie. My examination of the other "truths" proved too much for me to stay. I hate lies, being lied to, and then watching those who should be apologizing and publishing retractions, instead, attack the character of the one's who expose those lies.

Add to that the child abuse cover-up...not that the abuse happened, not that the action taken in the past was totally wrong (I, nor anyone here can change the past), but the inappropriate and complete total lack of Christian love for those abused and those persecuted for the exposure of the past wrongs; the proverbial final straw. I'm out, my family is out, and I'll do everything in my power to get others out.

Back to meditation....gotta mellow....happy thoughts....make a happy post...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit