Personal Protection

by LuckyLucy 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Last summer I got mugged.I have been taking kickboxing classes but I am seriously thinking about getting one of these babies.Do any of you carry any kind of protection??

• pincushion
    pincushion

Lucy I am sorry to hear of your traumitizing experience. I am sure it affects many aspects of your life. Way to go on learning some self-defense...however...and please take this or leave it...the idea of people walking around with guns in order to defend themselves scares the hell out of me. The end result of a person having to use a gun to protect themselves can be quite disastorous. There are safer forms of protection such as pepper spray that will help just as much, and it does not threaten someones life. Where is the justice in using a gun if it can kill? My thoughts anyways. As I said take it or leave it. I am sure with the trauma you have been through, shooting a gun in self defense seems very logical..and I really don't blame you...but guns scare me.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I don't carry, but we do have a 9 mm Berretta in the home for protection. Word of adivice regarding guns-respect them and don't be afraid to use them. If you are planning on getting a gun, take a class on gun safety. Also, practice at the shooting range, actually that is quite fun!

Those that are afraid of guns should not own guns. Plain and simple.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Are you planning on carrying it with you at all times or just using it for home protection? I would also put serious thought into whether or not you would be willing pull the trigger if the time came. You will have to be able to prove that your life was in imminent danger at the time or you may face prison . I enjoy shooting as a hobby, but I think as far as self defense goes, you will be better off with some common sense steps to crime prevention. Unless you are gonna carry the thing on you at all times, the only time I can see it doing any good is if you are in bed at night and you hear a sound, you grab the gun and confront the person, and I dont think that is the most common scenario.

• HoChiMin
  • JeffT
    JeffT

This subject came up on another board that I go to that is home to a number of miltary/exmilitary/and law enforcement types. The concensus was that training and psycological preparation are more important than the gun itself. If you buy one take a class in defensive shooting, practice on the range A LOT, and know the laws of the state you are in.

I keep a shotgun in the house for protection. If somebody comes in, I'm going to blow him away, not pop at him with a pea-shooter.

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

I, also, keep a loaded, side-by-side, double barrel shotgun (saftey on) right next to my bed. I have no children or anyone else living in my house - so I don't think I'm being irresponsible.

As for carrying one on my person, that's mostly not allowed in the US, except for states that allow protection permits.

I have it as a means of personal safety only because I live by myself.

I agree with JeffT, if someone is in my house who doesn't belong there I would have no hesitation on pulling the trigger. That may be calious but it's true. I'm not ending up some sick-os late night meat snack.

Edited by - TTBoy on 23 September 2002 20:15:44

• Sirona
    Sirona

Its difficult to own a gun here in the UK without extensive permits etc.

I do worry about personal protection though. I wonder where I'd get self defence items when I'd need them....

Guns are another story because they can be used to kill...so easily.

Sirona

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

The freedom to own a gun has been a blessing and a curse in the US. (David Koresh probobly should not have been allowed to own one).

Pepper spray/mace/ or stun guns are not a means of effective, home, personal protection. Any demented accoustant with a gun just nullified your planed means to protect yourself.

TT

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik
    The concensus was that training and psycological preparation are more important than the gun itself.

What JeffT said.

My main concern about a civilian owning a gun, or another type of weapon such as pepperspray, is that the badguy can get it out of your hands and use it on you if you are not properly trained. A simple mugging can then snowball into so much more.

Take self-defense courses that include general safety precautions and give advise on how to handle yourself in a confrontation.

Kickboxing is a great idea.

However you choose to arm yourself, training is very important.

I agree with the comments about "respect it".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit