Devil's appearance in WT literature

by stichione 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stichione
    stichione

I have scans of various WT drawings, but I don't know how to paste them of this site. Can anyone help me?

• IronGland
    IronGland

well your halfway there already. stop and think for a moment.

• LDH
    LDH

Agreeing with COMF and TR.

I believe the Bible referred to him somewhere as "handsome" or something similar.

Of course, the picture caused everyone to examine it carefully. Now in retrospect, I think, who gives a shit what an artist thinks of what the devil looks like?

Lisa

• Quotes
    Quotes

Here is a WT picture of the Devil from the "Way-Way Back Machine". This is from The Golden Age 1926 p.0 (cover)

Other interesting pics are available at: http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/pictures.htm

Look closely at the very top of the pic:

Here is a close-up. Note how the Devil's legs form part of the letter "R" -- "now isn't that clever!" Apperntly, the devil is out-of-shape and doesn't wear clothes!

• stichione
    stichione

You're alot of help IronGland.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

COMF,

They did have a picture of him once. Can't remember where, whether mag or book. He was a rather handsome fellow, with thick black hair except for a couple of streaks of grey at his temples... where horns might have been, had he had horns... If I recall correctly, he was showing Jesus the wonders of the world, offering them in exchange for an act of worship.

I remember several renditions of this Bible story -- the most persistent memory is a simple line drawing which portrays Jesus as a bearded brunet and Satan as a youthful, clean-shaven blond, both in pale robes. There might be one in the Great Teacher book or a mid-'70's Watchtower.

GentlyFeral

• Smokey
    Smokey

I just read this disturbing expeirence and although I am new to this web-site and page, I know exactly what it is you speak of. It seems that I am (THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE DOUBTING, PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE UNTIL THIS HAS HAPPENED TO YOU), very much aware what has happened to you and this was no figment of your imagination. You were visited by a demon, being in this cult has subjected you to this and I know this from first hand experience. How many of us (former JWS) know someone or have even spoken to a memeber and they have had a demonic experience of some kind? I never had until I became involved with this cult. My sister and my husband have had terrible experiences with this kind of thing as well as friends and other family members. I think you need to pray that Jesus will protect you and send guardian and avenging angels to protect you as well as His Holy Spirit. REMEMBER, you are not the only one this has happened to. I must go, write more later.

Smokey

• stichione
    stichione

You're right. I've also heard of many reports of this kind of stuff. You would think that if we are protected by Jehovahs how they would leave us alone!

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I recall the pic of Satan dressed in a golden outfit with the blonde hair. It was based on the scripture in Ezekiel 28 where it speaks of him becoming haughty because of his beauty. I can't recall the publication but it was in the top right hand corner with Satan in the clouds with an angry shouting expression on his face...

Path

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Jack Chick's comics have often portrayed demons and sometimes the Devil as dark hooded figures. Maybe someone in the art department thinks the Dubs have been too liberal, in comparison to Chick:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0022/0022_01.asp

And here's another classic Chick tract - Satan has a goatee beard and the demons are hooded wraith-like figures:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0045/0045_01.asp

And here for your reading pleasure (off topic in this thread) is Chick's view of JWs:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0026/0026_1.htm

Edited by - Stephanus on 4 October 2002 18:45:9

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit