Paths along the way, after the borg, experiences?

by LyinEyes 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

All of us who were once JW's have had a hard time trying to find our place in the world. Many have just begun their journey since leaving the borg, only recently. Others have put it far behind them many years ago, even decades they have been away from it.

I wonder do you think there is a difference in our putting the teaching, the mind washing, the questions behinds if we were born into and have never known anything eles, compared to those who choose to study and didnt live it as long?

What about those who left after they became adults and had somewhat of a normal life and experience in their 20's , compared to those of us who were slammed with reality in our 30's and then left ?

Is there a difference in the X generation and how they recover and get on with their lives, compared with the Y generation( the young generation right now, 2000)?

Seems that the earlier you get away from the WT the better you get on with life. I wonder if being in the JW for so long, that it takes so many years to get the brainwashing out?

This is not a blanket statement at all. I know each person has their own rate of recovery and issues.Even some who have been away for so long , don't even believe in God anymore. I wonder what my ideas will be like in 10 yrs.

I have been out a year, from all I have ever believed. Will some of you tell me how your path has been , what you did , when you left the borg? Did you go crazy and study all the bible translations, go to other churches, give up on believing in God? Did you just accept that you don't have the answers and never will, so just live good and be happy?

• Swan
    Swan

Yep! All of those!

Tammy

• Rogue_Protecter
    Rogue_Protecter

Hi LyinEyes,

Was raised in the "Truth" and more or less drifted away for last few years because of the hypocrisy.However I still believed in what I was taught all my life.I always had Q's but never asked them because that would be challenging the GB.And we know there Jehovahs mouth piece.

However after finding this sight and finding the q's i wanted to ask answered,and all the other information thats is provided hear.I now look at things so differently.Was as if a blanket was lifted from over my eyes.Was numb for weeks after reading all this new information But it started making sense and I realized I was in a cult,whom brainwashed there followers.Sad part is I seen this for so long but thought it was just me.

I attended my first church service a month ago at a christian church.I wasnt struck dead either (hehe).I actually enjoyed it and was nothing like what I was always taught.These people are more christian than most witnesses will ever be.It was a very nice change.

Drop me a email and would love to chat more about it LyinEyes

oh and as for SIMON...THANK YOU...this sight has literaly changed my life...I know there was alot of flak going on a month or so ago..but what you did I think was for the best and your desicions have kept this sight a place where people can relax and build each other up.

• goatlike
    goatlike

i was raised in it.. left at 18, now i'm 26. i see no difference between religions, spirituality is a form of mental illness, anthropologists will look back and say wtf???

as dub escapee's we had a clear example of bible-based insanity, so we should be able to identify similar lunacy more easily than others.. check out the posts of these cattle who leave the jw's just to join the mormons or some such.... ** i had SUCH a welcome experience at my new CHURCH this sunday!!! SO much more christian that those nasty hova's wickedness!!!**

the weak join the witnesses (or similar), the strong leave - the mighty do like samson

i went through it all in my pathetic little search for dog, nothing means anything.. all sh*t stinks, no matter the colour. i lost my family because they like the smell.. is it just because we're westerners (north american) or is everyone everywhere so horrified by reality?

my only point, i've fallen into satanism, i love it.. it makes me feel strong, loving, and impervious.. nothing hurts me, and i love the story of lucifer... my point is always too extreme, probably just over-compensation...

has anyone else noticed a compelling interest in the "dark side" since leaving???

please answer if you mean it....

• pincushion
    pincushion

It is hard to teach a old dog new tricks..I would suspect the longer you are with the borgs, regardless if you were born into them or not, the harder it is to get on with life after leaving. Although, perhaps it is easier for those who joined through a study to move on, as they had 'worldly ways' engrained in them before.

Myself, I did not live long in the borg and was brought into it through a study. When I did wake up and smell the coffee and left, I never cared to talk or persue religion again. In fact, I still shiver at the mention of religion, flat out refuse to enter a church, and stay away from such talk all together (until now, I found this site a week ago). I am afraid, even though my time was short with them , I am ruined in regards to any religion. I have my own spiritual beliefs and keep them to myself. I am sure my coldness towards religion is because of the shunning and untruths I seen while in the borg.

Goatlike..I agree the weak join the dubs and the strong leave.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

LyinEyes, I think it may be harder to get the whole j.w. thing out of your head when you're raised in it. I have found that people that came into it as a adult have a eaiser time walking away.

I have a friend that chooses not to bring her j.w. past up to her friends. She, like you and I, was raised in the org. She's ashamed to tell people that she was a witness. She also feels that they wouldn't understand if she discussed it with them anyway. Not me....I tell everyone that I was raised in the borad and make it a point to make them aware of the abuse that is taking place. I do this, not to get pity, but to bring awareness. I'm gonna work as hard trying to keep people out, as I did trying to make them come in!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Lyin Eyes,

The first thing I did was take a very deep breath. It felt so good. The next thing I did was remove every single bit of JW memorabilia, books, magazines, from my house. I trashed them. The only thing I kept was the newest issue of the NWT bible, which my dad had written a note to me on the inside. (He was "coming in" as I was going out. He was doing it for mom.)

From that place, I couldn't even bring myself to read the bible, and I didn't set foot in another religious institution from 1981 until 1983, when I visited a friend's church, and nearly fell apart. I began shaking and crying. That's when I knew I needed help. But, instead of getting any real help, I just continued to try to do it by myself. I was just "existing", living life in so much inner turmoil and imbalance. Gradually, I was able to work through that. It took nearly twenty years more to get where I am today.

Back then, I didn't have the avenues available to me that we have now. I couldn't afford a therapist.There is such a wonderful support effort going on with JW's who are already out or trying to get out. Whatever the reason. Brainwashing is not a simple issue. Also, just because we "leave", doesn't mean all the issues are resolved. Those are the things that take a very long time to work through.

I can see on the forum, how each of us are at different places in this process.

Love and Light,

Sentinel/Karen

• Lin
    Lin

LyinEyes, I would say it's definitely easier for those who weren't born and raised a dub. They at least have a "before dubhood" image of themselves, who they were, what they were doing, holidays and birthdays enjoyed etc. Those of us raised our entire lives in it have a much harder time because it literally was all we knew. But don'tcha all worry about me, I'll be jus fine. :-)

• bigdaddysgurl27
    bigdaddysgurl27

If there is anyone that is doubting the JWs beliefs even just the least little bit or just looking for a change in your life?; please try my Jesus. Just try him for a little while. If the Christian life isn't for you then go back to the life you had before. Is there anyone brave enough to do this? If so please say this prayer.

"Dear Jesus, I believe in You. I believe You are the Son of God, that You died for my sins, and that You were buried and rose again as written in the Bible. I'm sorry for the things I've done that hurt You. Forgive me for all my sins. Come into my heart, take charge of my life and make me the way You want me to be. With Your ever present help, I renounce all my sinful practices of the past. Cleanse my heart with Your precious blood. Write my name in Your Book of Life. I confess You now as my Lord and Savior. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Thank You, Jesus! In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Salvation is not merely a one-time experience. It is an experience which places you on the Christian faith journeythe Way of Salvation. Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior is your first step on the trip. As you read your Bible you will grow spiritually. Find some good Christian people to associate with. Begin to attend a Bible believing church. Learn how to witness to others telling them about your new relationship with Jesus. The goal of the Christian life is not getting into Heaven; that is the reward. The goal is to continually become more like Jesus Christ and for your personal relationship with Him to grow deeper.

Please are there any takers? This is a link for new or old believers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/Christian_support

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Some of you have made the same interesting point about how much easier it is if you were not born into the JW . I just read Steve Hassan's"Combatting Mind Control", where he talks about finding the pre-cult identity of the person as a step in helping free them. You don't have a Pre-cult identity.....not wonder you have had a harder time.

Give yourselves credit for the open mindedness and courage it has taken you, to get where you are. Be proud of yourselves and your steps in freedom and happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit