Faithful and discreet

by A Paduan 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Can someone tell me how the wtbts came up with the idea of pronouncing themselves to be the f & ds?

paduan

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Because according to the GB they have all the nessesary ingredients ro meet the qualifications. So they declared themselves the only link to god (they don;t have to go through christ) that makes them the faithful and discreet slave. Not very discreet is it.

• Matty
    Matty

It amuses me how they start this "class" thing, for something that is mentioned only once in the bible. Russell considered himself the Faithful & Discreet slave singularly, but now there's a whole bunch of big-wigs in Brooklyn, they suddenly decided it warranted a "class" label.

• Room 215
    Room 215

For me, the most piquant irony is their misappropriation of the adjective ``discreet'' to themselves, given their historical proclivity for putting their foot in their mouths time and again. They're remarkable only in their incapacity for embarrassment and bloated sense of self-importance. It would be laughable if these knuckleheads hadn't wrought havoc in the lives of the naive, worshipful dubbies.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It would be laughable if these knuckleheads hadn't wrought havoc in the lives of the naive, worshipful dubbies.

Absolutely, Roomie! A case of "the unwise and indiscreet slave" class!

Eh, hang on a mo.... surely that's the "evil slave", isn't it?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

This was one of the niggling doubts in my mind, even when I was strong in "the truth." Once I started having other issues, this one came to the forefront of my mind. I have never really trusted how they say God speaks to them through the holy spirit. Hell, ANYONE can say that. And whenever someone does, we generally think of them as fruitcakes.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

It was actually the wife of Charles Taze Russel who first introduced this idea..and she tried to apply it to him.

• showme
    showme

Where is that passage found? I tried finding it but can't quite remember which book it is in. I do remember the passage, but the exact wording escapes me. Of course it depends on which version you read though. But it does seem that the word discreet looses its meaning in #1 making the slave a group of people, and #2 declaring this to the whole world.

• Matty
    Matty

Matthew 24:45-47, in the New World Translation, reads "Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his Master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave if his Master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you. He will appoint him over all his belongings."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, as others have already indicated, Charles Taze Russell started his "ministry" and soon found himself the object of religious adulation. He became the head of a cult of personality.

When the faithful and discreet slave formerly known as Charlie T. Russell died on Halloween 1916, what were the flock to do? How could the bigwigs protect their phoney-baloney jobs and positions? Ah, new light was called for - now the slave is not one man, but a class of men, and - guess what? They were the guys at the Watch Tower! Yaaaaaaaaay! yaay! And so Eric Cartman Joe Rutherford got a major ego boost. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 20 September 2002 12:18:34

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit