INTERVIEW: with an Elder

by TerryWalstrom 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I posted this yesterday on Facebook right after it happened.

SO THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED A FEW MINUTES AGO. . .

Every day, I go to the local Starbucks and sit in a hall vestibule just outside the store so I can write and work on the book I'm trying to finish.

Everybody who goes to Starbucks knows me and that I'm a writer. So, today a fellow in a suit overhears two other people talking to me about my writing and I say out loud that I'm writing about religion and how people have different ideas about truth.

The man in the suit strolls over to me and we end up chatting about some awfully familiar territory! Suddenly, I noticed he's carrying the SILVER SWORD under his arm! He's a J-Dub! Ha!! He's wanting to count time out in service using me!
    I went into stealth mode.

I asked him about his religious ideas and he gave me the usual response. Then, I suggested he sit down for a brief interview! I said it might be included in my book. It finally came out that he is an Elder in the local congregation. He asked that I not put his name in the book and I said I wouldn't. (I suppose he was covering his ass in case he said anything which could be construed as damaging.)

After pretending he didn't have time--I could see he was flattered and really DID want to be interviewed by a writer for a book!

What follows is my attempt to be neutral, scholarly and professional. I began with as safe and uncontroversial a topic as I could think of.

Question: "How do Jehovah's Witnesses manage diversity within their congregations?"

Elder: "I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'diversity.'

Question: "Individual opinions, tastes, dispositions are part of all societies are they not? How does your clergy or leadership manage basic human diversity?"

Elder: "There really isn't any diversity of opinion. All Jehovah's Witnesses agree with all other Jehovah's Witnesses. There is a harmony of belief and practice."

Question: "Is that because diversity is not allowed?"

Elder: "Well, it's not quite like that. We're not a totalitarian regime; it's just that Jehovah's Spirit brings about harmony which might ordinarily spring up because of human imperfection. All of which is because of the correct application of God's word, the Bible."

Question: "How is this any different from any other religious group--most of which are plagued by sectarian squabbles? There are over 40,000 Christian denominations disagreeing fundamentally enough to call their church by different names?"

Elder: "We don't have churches. We have small congregations and they are all in agreement on all policies. All Kingdom Halls around the world are in 100% agreement with all the other ones."

Question: "But how would you know that without internal opportunity for airing disagreement? Wouldn't Elders, such as yourself, step in and isolate any diverse opinion under the auspice of 'protecting the congregation' from heresy, apostasy, or divisions?"

Elder: "I see where you are headed. But--no, it's not like that at all."

Question: "I'm asking simply: 'How is it possible to know what your members are thinking, inasmuch as speaking dissidently or dissonantly is condemned outright as unspiritual and devilish?'"

Elder: "Any JW who has worries, doubts, questions is free to approach any of the older men in the congregation. That's what elders are there for."

Question: "How likely is it that a member would place themselves under suspicion of disloyalty--in effect making themselves a marked target of suspicion?"

Elder: "Well--if you say it like that--it . . . First let me say . . ."

Question: "Isn't loyalty to the Governing Body an absolute requirement in order to be considered a member in good standing?"

Elder: "I was going to say . . .well--no, I mean we don't have loyalty to weak, sinful, imperfect human beings. It is loyalty to God's perfect earthly arrangement."

Question: "Can you unpack that in plain English?"

Elder: "JW's are part of a government guided by heavenly appointed representatives. As an Elder, I have a responsibility to Jehovah. I must oversee, shepherd, and counsel. In some cases, I must preside judicially.
    We can't let predatory wolves creep in under the banner of 'diversity.'"

Question: "My way or the highway? So to speak."

Elder: "Ha ha ha ha. That would be Jehovah's statement; not mine."

Question: "You're comfortable with speaking for Almighty God?"

Elder: "It's a commission Jesus made clear. We are compelled to do that very thing. It's the core of evangelizing."

Question: "Jesus hung out with a highly diverse group, totally at odds with the leaders of Judaism such as the Pharisees. If I recall correctly that would be prostitutes, thieves, tax collectors, fishermen---"

Elder: "Oh no! Not thieves! Jesus didn't--"

Question: "He chose Judas, didn't he? Judas was stealing from the collection box!."

Elder: "Huh. . . oh, um. . .. well--okay. That's a technicality, But okay."

Question: "My point being, diversity was not a problem for the founder of Christianity. Jesus didn't excommunicate anybody--did he?"

Elder: "That wasn't his mission. He was a teacher and a healer and the anointed King-to-be of his heavenly Father's kingdom."

Question: "What about the diversity question?"

Elder: "What about it?"

Question: "Do you try to be like Jesus in accepting prostitutes, thieves, and other social outcasts? Homosexuals, transgenders, etc?"

Elder: "That's kind of. . . well--it's almost a trick question. The important thing isn't human diversity--it is putting off the flesh and putting on the spirit. It is the aspect of getting people to be a New kind of person--not staying the way they are."

Question: "Well, correct me if I'm wrong on this. Aren't you really mixing up spirit-anointed Christians with the so-called 'other sheep'? You don't teach the Bible is FOR regular people--diverse people. You teach the Bible is for anointed persons chosen to become the Bride of Christ--right?"

Elder: "Um. . . what, now? Oh! Okay. Okay. I'm with you now. I see what you mean. Yes. Um. . . let me clarify my meaning . . ."

Question: "Please do. Take your time."

Elder: "Jesus' ministry was for Jews. The Apostle Paul's ministry was for people of all nations. There is your diversity."

Question: "What about Jehovah's Witnesses? Do you accept and celebrate human diversity for 'other sheep', Gentiles, homosexuals, transgenders, thieves, prostitutes, etc?"

Elder: "Yes. IF THEY CHANGE and learn the Truth, become baptized and lead a clean life Witnessing about Jehovah's kingdom"

Question: "So, you personally know non-practising homosexuals in your congregation?"

Elder: "What? Well. . . I didn't say I personally did, but--generally speaking we get all kinds of people who repent, reform, live by the rules so-to-speak."

Question: "Pedophiles?"

Elder: "I'm not sure I know what you mean?"

Question: "Do you know personally of any pedophiles in your congregation?"

Elder: "That's. . . I. . . it's not for me to say--I mean to speak publicly about private matters of confession. I'm sure you know, priests can never divulge what comes out in confession."

Question: "Okay. So--Jehovah's Witnesses and Catholic priests are like-minded in their silence on pedophiles, then?"

Elder: "I really don't think it's profitable to continue this line of questioning. I have to go now. If you have any other questions. . . you can go online to our website. It's (says name of website) and it has Frequently Asked Questions." (Gets up and departs.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Like all JWs, when the questions get difficult, they all pack up and leave (sometimes promising to return, but that never happens).

Doc

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Nice one Terry.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Terry, you ripped him to shreds, but that wasn't really a fair fight. You had him on the ropes the whole time.

The funny thing is that JWs, especially the elders, think they have "the Truth," but when engaged in a dialogue that asks the hard questions, they are totally at a loss.

I'm surprised though that he didn't balk when you asked him about the Governing Body. That should have tipped him off that you are an "apostate" ex-JW.
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    Excellent interview. It would be a help to see the real face of the WT religion if you included it in your book. I look forward to your publishing it.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Here's an interesting article from Scientific American on diversity that you might want to read:

How Diversity Makes Us Smarter

Being around people who are different from us makes us more creative, more diligent and harder-working

By Katherine W. Phillips | Sep 16, 2014

-
    Here are a couple of quotes from that article:

The fact is that if you want to build teams or organizations capable of innovating, you need diversity. Diversity enhances creativity. ... The findings are clear: for groups that value innovation and new ideas, diversity helps.

Apply these quotes to the WT leaders and you immediately see the problem: they do NOT value or want innovation and new ideas.

They just want to be adored. They are complete narcissists jealous of any competing ideas or attention.

The leaders of the WTBTS absolutely do NOT want diversity. They have a track record over a century long of insisting on uniformity of belief and conformity to the dictates of the leadership. It's all about the obedience.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Terry that was great. I would have paid for a front seat, along with popcorn and a soda to watch that elder squirm in his seat. Your like my cat that catches a gopher and plays with him for while, giving him the false impression that he is going to get away scot-free. Then the bite in the neck--it's over!

They just can't win-can they!!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Interesting that he really didn't know what diversity even meant.
  • clarity
    clarity

Wow Terry ...man you are unstoppable! thanks for posting this conversation. That poor guy just walked away with his tail between his legs. When I was a jw out knocking on doors, I remember having a very sick feeling one time when someone gave me a few hard facts that opened my eyes! ha ahah ...jws really do believe they know it all ...

clarity

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

GT: Interesting that he really didn't know what diversity even meant.

Actually, Terry used the term in a slightly unconventional way initially and then changed his meaning several times during the discussion. Although every way the Terry used the term is within the range of meanings for the word, I think most people would have been uncertain how to respond.

From reading the dialogue it becomes clear that Terry really was trying to get the elder to admit that no dissent, disagreement or questioning is allowed. The WTBTS is a totalitarian group insisting on complete, unquestioning obedience to the dictates of the leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit