We live in a beautiful world...

by The_Bad_Seed 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

We DO live in a beautiful world! There are plenty of people who are trying to destroy it, and plenty who have made rules that are barbaric but that does not mean our world - this planet, and it's good people - are not beautiful and worth noting.

If there is one thing that gives me strength - it is definitely the beauty of nature. It has an energy that can reach the core of a hardened person. Glorious sunsets and sunrises, sounds and sites of the oceans, waterfalls, rivers, brooks, splender of mountainous ranges, and a vast sky of diamonds at night when there is no other light intruding. There are sounds and scents - rainforests, small gardens of infinite colors - moody skies - and creatures big and small to marvel at and giggle at.

There are different cultures, colors, variety of peoples and far more good in each than bad. There are seasons and time zones that enable us to 'talk to tomorrow' (for those of us in love with the Aussies)

There are efforts of people making positive changes over the entire planet, from the inner self - to entire countries and their resources.

There are people helping people - jw.com; silentlambs; charities; and anonymous acts of selflessness. There are Apostafests!

We DO live in a beautiful world. And when people help people, the power of good grows. (that's my quote!) Positivity rather than negativity. Be part of the solution, not the problem. All one has to do is open their eyes to see the beauty, be it day or night.

Thank you Seed for starting this thread. You have lifted the veil of stress I was feeling over a job interview, and this has put things back into perspective. ((((((((((((((Seed))))))))))))))))

hugs to all, Mimilly

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I agree with you Seed, this world is beautiful.

It's beautiful, despite all the things that has occured on it's surface, by man and by nature.

From a distrance, looking back, this beautiful blue globe travels it's own journey in space and time, to it's own destiny.

And,............for now, we are still here.

Sentinel/Karen

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

Could'nt have put it better Sentinal.

Take care,

Rich.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

This thread proves that it's all about attitude. I agree, it is a beautiful world and we are lucky to be alive.

• Introspection
    Introspection
    Funny you should bring this up, Seed. I was just thinking today that when people say how bad everything is (people like the JWs), the thing to ask is "compared to what?"

Pat, you might also ask "to who?" Obviously there are bad things in the world, but it does depend on the person perceiving it. My question is: Why can't it be both? That seems to be the fact of the matter isn't it, even amidst all the chaos there is beauty in the world. Why don't we open ourselves up to that?

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

EAsy to say such things when you live here in the USA. But people in others countries who are suffering the ravages of war and famine, disease etc.. Would disagree with you i'm sure! They dont have time to think and ponder these things. They're busy working 12-16 hours a day for a bowl of rice. As much as we want to deny it, things are getting progressively worse. Overpopulation aided by a pope who refuses to relax silly doctrines on birth control doesn't help. The earth was a beautiful place once...It know seems more like a broken syrupy mess.

• Introspection
    Introspection

So is that a reason to not enjoy life where we are? Should we not appreciate what we have because some people have it worst off?

One thing to consider is that an American would no doubt think it's much worse being thrust into such a situation because they are used to living in better conditions. Do you think it's possible for people to take pleasure in the simpler things even if they do have it tough? Of course, the point is that it's relative, and you are just reiterating that point. Nobody is belittling the suffering of others who have it much worse than we do. Then again, suffering is suffering - which is better, to starve physically or to be abused by those who are supposed to be your caretakers? Ultimately I see no usefulness in making comparisons like these, not if you are going to really look at things globally and embrace all of it.

I also imagine that they don't have the time to think that they are working so much for a bowl of rice, and that American's have it so much easier that they have the time to ponder these things, they're just working to get their bowl of rice. Of course, I'm speaking to people who have a computer, those who do have time to ponder the question. I also agree that it's important to acknowledge the situation as you describe it, but beyond that it doesn't really help anyone. I don't believe in supporting people in their misery, I'm more interested in changing it for the better. This is not to say that you have no sympathy for them, but just because one person think about it more or feels it more strongly it doesn't make them a saint, it just means they think about it more. (of course, there is the danger of being stuck with that one perspective, regardless of whether it's that of a mentally ill person in a developed country or a starving child in the third world) But I think your message actually helps people appreciate those simple everyday things even more, because even though they are ordinary by our standards we're lucky to have them if you look at the big picture. If we do see the beauty through the little things that are available to us it opens the way to an appreciation for all of life, including the life of all those who are just barely getting by, and that will provide the impetus for change.

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

My point was relative. I have family and friends in a third world country. And much of what I said is also of their opinion. they live in poverty with threats of war almost daily. Sure, they have always lived this way, but like anyone else, they desire more for themselves and their families. Do they enjoy the simpler things? Maybe but I find it difficult to believe that they can ever get used to so much of the extraordinary turmoil they have to experience every day. I've come to conclude that this beauty is relative to the individual. I personally yearn for that perfect world that is spoken about in the bible....It's very real to me and I hope to experience the true beauty and wonder of this one day, God willing....then I too can say we live in a beautiful world without feeling so much pain and guilt.

• Mary
    Mary

The world can be beautiful, but it can also suck dead rocks too............

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Introspection, you said:

Funny you should bring this up, Seed. I was just thinking today that when people say how bad everything is (people like the JWs), the thing to ask is "compared to what?"

Pat, you might also ask "to who?" Obviously there are bad things in the world, but it does depend on the person perceiving it. My question is: Why can't it be both? That seems to be the fact of the matter isn't it, even amidst all the chaos there is beauty in the world. Why don't we open ourselves up to that?

That is a very valid point. It IS both: beauty, violence, order, and chaos. And it's always been that way since life began. With bacteria, sea life, dinosaurs, and now humans. Anyone who sees only one part of it just isn't paying attention. It seems unrealistic to me to expect humans to live in perfect concord and harmony if you compare it to nature. It doesn't exist. And in nature, it's not a moral issue, it just IS. Sure, there's a lot "wrong" with humans, but it really depends on your view of whether we're evolved higher "animals" or whether we were created by a god.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit