A Silent Ram

by DakotaRed 57 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

This is probably going to be the most difficult thing I have ever written. But, since I dont plan on being around [here] much longer, what the hell?

For some time now, we have discussed and expressed our outrage and horror at child molestation. Mostly, we think of little girls being molested by older men or little boys being molested by older men. That is not always the case. By some accounts, amongst the least reported and most misunderstood of all child molestations is older females who molest little boys, be they older sisters, aunts, baby-sitters or, in my personal estimations the worst of all, mothers.

Society believes that boys cannot be molested, that they cannot gain an erection under the duress of being molested and often, that mothers especially, are incapable of doing this to their son. Most times, molested boys are considered lucky or fortunate to learn the ropes at an early age from an older, experienced woman.

From David Finkelhor's data as reported in Child Sexual Abuse, New Theory and Research on page 160 uses a 1978 American Humane Association survey.

"This reporting practice shows up in the AHA data as a high percentage of cases where a woman (usually a mother) is cited as a perpetrator in sexual abuse. In Table 10-3, we see that a female was listed as involved in 41% of cases where a male was victimized and even 31% of cases where females were victimized."

If a boy experiences sexual arousal or orgasm from abuse, many believe this means he was a willing participant or enjoyed it. In reality, even though males can respond physically to stimulation, even in traumatic or painful sexual situations. Therapists who work with sexual offenders know that one way a molester can maintain secrecy is to label the child's sexual response as an indication of his willingness to participate. "You liked it, you wanted it," they'll say. Many survivors feel guilt and shame because they experienced physical arousal while being abused. Physical stimulation is likely to happen in a sexual situation. It does not mean that the child wanted the experience or understood what it meant at the time.

As some of you alrrady know, I have a deep personal dislike and distain for child molesters, but have never stated why. The reason why is that I was molested by my own mother for a period of about 5 years when young. For many years, I have struggled with the guilt, shame, and wading through the myths that society holds. The only people I have ever told is my first wife, who later twisted it in our divorce, stating I was the seducer, and my daughters, who I finally told after they reached adulthood themselves. Like any pedophile, my mother always denied it and continued to do so right up to her death last year, telling all that I was just an ungrateful hateful son.

You may wonder just how a mother initiates this. My mom was a very abusive person, physically & mentally. She thought nothing of beating the crap out of me over any thing she could. Since I was the only boy, I was usually her target, with her sometimes knocking around my sisters. To say I was very afraid of her, when I wanted to love her, is a gross understatement. All boys want to love their mothers and most do. To this day, I dont hate her. But, mine made it very difficult to love her. I digress. Somewhere, around 8 or 9 years old, I remember her coming into the bath and asking how I was growing, meaning, my genitals. To deny her anything would mean you could pick yourself up from across the room. Of course, looking progressed to touching, with her saying she was teaching me to be a man. And yes, it felt good for the moment, but what does a small child know? Follow that by more beatings and more touching, you get pretty confused. I cant begin to tell you the total power that woman held over me and how she misused her position of authority.

As I matured, it progressed to penetration. Not to would mean one hell of a beating soon to follow. Of course, she always somehow made sure we were alone in the house, to protect herself. Around age 14, it all suddenly stopped. Not the beatings, mind you, just the molestation. The beatings continued until I was 17, got fed up with them and knocked her down in retaliation.

I would also like it known that it is also a myth that molested boys become molesters themselves. While in many cases, they do, that is not always the case. I was very angry at what she had done over the years. So much so, that I swore it would never happen to my children. It never did. Neither of my daughters ever understood why I was so adamant about molesters until I told them of my childhood a few years ago. Were they shocked? You bet. But knowing what I endured and that I stopped the cycle with me drew us even closer than we were before.

My parents werent JWs and hated them with a passion. My maternal grandfather was an ordained Methodist Minister. I mention this just to show that the problem is not restricted to the JWs or Catholics. Whether or not he molested my mom, Ill never know. All went to their graves silent. But, that would never excuse what she did.

I appeal to all of you, when you are at the march this coming September 27 th , dont forget the little boys who have suffered either. Be they SilentRams or whatever, their voices need heard too. Break the myths surrounding molestation. Boys dont deserve it anymore than girls do.

Edited by - DakotaRed on 18 September 2002 0:30:11

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

DakotaRed, you are right....generally we don't think about little boys having to endure this, also. I am so sorry about what you had to go through. ****HUGS****

• capbuster
    capbuster

Dakota Red, I know it took courage for you to tell this awful story of abuse. My prayers are with you, and your family. My mother tried this with my brother when he was little and I didn't find this out until 2 years ago he is now 49. I understand your stance on child molestation and I agree with you 200%. You have to have been there to understand, as you have, to know what goes on in a little boys mind after someone so special as a mother who brought you into this world,only to abuse you. My brother to this day still loved his mother and she treated us like crap up until the day she died. May God Bless you and all yours, and if you ever need to talk my email is open.

Capbuster

• scumrat
    scumrat

DekotaRed,

That was very powerful and emotional, I felt so much sorrow as I read it. It takes a lot of guts to share your traumatic story.

I applaud you with deep respect for stopping the cycle of abuse. You are a man of dignity and honor.

I'll be at the march on the 27th showing support for all those who have suffered at the hands of abuse.

Mike

• Jesika
    Jesika

I am sorry, but I read to the second part and can't read anymore.

• Krazylady
    Krazylady

(((((DR))))) I know the courage it took for you to speak up for the little boys. My younger brother was molested by an Aunt and I don't think it will ever cease to haunt him. My son was also molested, by Elders. He is just so damaged by this horrible crime. When I put lambs on KH doorsteps, it is not just for the little girls, it is for my brother, my son, and you. When I hold my son and try to comfort him, I will also be thinking of you. You will always be in my prayers.

Much love and hope for a better tomorrow, Krazylady

• nilfun
    nilfun

(((( DakotaRed )))) This took courage to write. Hard to write, hard to read, but the shame was hers, not yours. My hat's off to you for breaking the cycle of abuse.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Dakota,

Thanks for having the courage to share this part of you. I know how difficult talking, even typing, about it is. It's a little thing, but when I was in therapy for my abuse I read a book entitled "Victims No Longer". It's a book aimed specifically at adult male survivors of incest. By no means does it solve all problems, but it was helpful to me to read what other men had to say about their experiences and having a psychologist address specific issues I was having at the time. By the way, I hope you don't leave. If you do, I can understand, but maybe it might help if you just took a break. Take care my friend

Chris

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi Dakota.

I am glad you pointed out the issue of litle boys and also some little girls get molested by females. Mothers or sisters or neighbors etc.

It has all the affects you mentioned and is not well known. I know this is hard for you to post this on the forum. You are to be comended for doing so. It needs to be known.

I don't want to be nosey so you need not answer this question if you wish. What do you mean about that "don't plan to be around long" statement? Kind of scares me.

I always enjoy your posts and humor. Hang in there, OK?

Outoftheorg

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Dakota))))))))))))))))))))))))))And another for good measure((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Thank you for writing your story of abuse. It is so hard sometimes for men to come forward with abuse stories. They think it shows weakness. Quit the contrary. It took strength.

Shari

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit