Bible Prophecies?

by mindfield 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mindfield
    mindfield

No, I'm not getting any doubts that the Bible is any more than what I believe it is... a myth. However, I do have a particular question about one aspect that my JW uncle raised during one of our conversations: what about those so-called "prophecies"? No, I'm not talking about the vague Nostradamus-like "statue made of different kinds of crap". I'm talking about the more specific ones, such as the one involving Babylon and delivering the specific name of the man who would overtake Babylon.

Now my question is: How is this "prophecy" explained in logical terms? Is it a question of the verse having been written after the event? Something else? I'd just like to know to make the curiosity part of my mind shut up.

*slaps self*

Thanx.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can prophecy the winning numbers in last week's lottery.

The Bible is not nearly as old as the WTS and many others would like you to believe it is: much archaeological evidence shows that the old testament was written around 500-300 BC. With the gift of hindsight, the real unknown authors of the Bible could create characters who accurately predicted what was already long past.

• mindfield
    mindfield

Thanks Nathan for clearing that up....

• Satanus
    Satanus

I think nathan is referring to the theory that jews started wrtitng the ot upon their release from babylon. Moses' 613 laws in the torah do resemble hammurabi's code quite a lot. You can read it here http://eawc.evansville.edu/anthology/hammurabi.htm Hammarabi's code still exists on a big block of stone. Moses' tablets don't. A few of the hebrew stories resemble the old babylonian stories, the enuma elish and gilgamesh.

It is said they had help and encouragement from the persians for their writings. And so, some zerostrianism from the persians found it's way into the bible.

SS

• heathen
    heathen

I think you are talking about the prophesy in Isaiah-45. where the name of cyrus the great is mentioned some 200 years before he was born and also tells of his conquest of babylon.At least that's when they dated the scroll of Isaiah being written.

• mindfield
    mindfield

Heathen, yes, that's the one. Are those scrolls really dated back 200 years before the actual event? Anyone know where I can find some real, subjective information on this?

• heathen
    heathen

sure can't think of any .I just read the wt Isaiah prophesy book .It would seem that there would be sites on the web especially after the dead sea scrolls were found with information about carbon dating and such.

Edited by - heathen on 18 September 2002 23:33:8

• capbuster
    capbuster

I think you are talking about the antichrist

Capbuster

• Analysis
    Analysis

Since no one will be able to find the original texts, we will never know what Isaiah actually wrote. It is clear from reading many scriptures that someone at the least edited the texts.

Mindfield, what is surprising is that some of the prophecies that are very clear did not happen. Ask your Uncle about the prophecy of how King Josiah would die. The Bible clearly states he would die in Peace. He died at the hands of Pharaoh in an act of war. Tell us how your Uncle explains that.

Edited by - Analysis on 18 September 2002 11:23:14

• mindfield
    mindfield

Analysis,

Great point. I found a couple great articles on www.infidels.org...

The site points out that not only do we not have the original texts, but that there is some evidence that points out that the book of Isaiah was written in two parts. See where this is leading?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit