I am materialistic

by expatbrit 28 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Last week I had a phone conversation with my family back in England. My parents had figured out that something wasn't usual about my attitude to the "truth", so they started grilling me: have I been to meetings? going in field service? etc. etc.

I basically told them that I have been researching the society and the bible, and that I have real problems in believing any of it anymore. I gave them some examples of where the society has made screw-ups and misleading quotes in it's literature. They ignored them, of course.

Then the emotional tactics started. "Are you going against the slave? Don't you think that is arrogant? Where's your humility? Don't break your Mother's heart! What about (Mrs Expatbrit)? Don't you think she'll be hurt?"

After this they began to try and rationalise my attitude in JW terms. You know what they came up with? I'm succumbing to the lure of materialism! Now that my business is growing beyond the single self-employed guy stage, it must be taking all my time. I've become unbalanced and allowed my spirituality to suffer!

Hilariously, they started blaming a brother I studied with when I was eighteen! He was, and still is, virtually inactive, but is extremely successful. We would study, then go to the pub and talk about real things like what the hell I was going to do for a living, or when England were going to win the World Cup again. In witness terms, he was a loser, of course.

But that was fourteen years ago!

They simply cannot believe that I might have researched and come to some valid conclusions. In their enclosed JW mind, there is simply no possibility that someone could have a valid reason for leaving or even doubting. They have to pigeonhole me with a label!

These are my parents! I know they are good, intelligent people. I know that I used to think this way about others who left before me. But to be pigeonholed, filed away under M for "materialistic" so quickly by my own parents....

(sorry for the rant)

Expatbrit

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Welcome to the club

Path

(where in Canada do u live?)

• Tina
    Tina

Hi expat,
    Rant away,that's what friends are for,,,,,,hugs,T

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Path:

I live in the Greater Toronto Area.

More than this, I cannot say, since my identity must be kept confidential for reasons of international security. I'll have a vodka Martini though, shaken not stirred.....

Actually, I'm still trying to fade out quietly, and would not like a snooping JW lurker to guess who I am and cause trouble.

Expatbrit
    (paranoid class)

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Good enough We are all paranoid.

Path

• RN
    RN

Expatbrit,

Doesn't stuff like this just make your head spin around in circles? [8>] After explaining to very old and dear friends that I could no longer in good conscience support the WTS, due to deception, cover ups, dishonesty I had discovered. They stated that I should not let my grief over losing my son take me from the organization. They fact that the event they referred to was several years past, and that during that time I had not acted like a grief stricken lunatic, just went right over their heads.

RN

• Tina
    Tina

Thanks expat,
    Now I want a vodkatini (with a twist) lol,T

• Tina
    Tina

Dear RN,
    I'm sorry for your loss,sincerely,Tina

• waiting
    waiting

hey expat,

My husband's parents tend to think it's all my fault. They even encouraged him to come with them and leave me home. Like he couldn't think for himself at the age of 56. Go figure family.

I think they just cannot grasp anyone really logically deciding "hey, this doesn't make sense!" It might have taken us decades - but we finally did say "hey"!

hey RN

Nice to meet you. I'm sorry for your loss - but glad you're visiting us - hope you stick around. From your name - is it safe to assume your a nurse? Or is your name Ruth Norris?

waiting

• Gopher
    Gopher

Expatbrit,

You welcomed me this past Sunday as a fellow 3rd-generation JW, about to go through the family thing.

Now that you have gone through this round (#1) of interrogation and accusation, what do you think will happen next? Will they now begin the 'shunning' program? Will they try to continue the course of accusation? Or will they try to 'win you over' nicely? (Whatever your parents do, I'm 90% sure mine will do too.)

Hang in there! Be true to yourself! I loved your ranting!

Gopher (of the about-to-be-interrogated class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit