Just a small part of me

by nilfun 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• nilfun
    nilfun

This is a small part of me.

It is a strange thing how sometimes only one
    child in a family will be mistreated, while the rest are spared.
    It makes it difficult if not impossible to talk about things that happened
    to me without some of my family members expressing disbelief. After all, they were not
    treated that way, they never saw it, how could what I am saying be true?

My childhood, while containing good and bad, was marked by an intense isolation.
    For years I felt unloved. I remember having thoughts of suicide at a very young age.
    Finally at about age fifteen, I confided in younger sister that I wanted to kill myself.
    She began to cry and told me, "If you kill yourself, so will I, because I cant live without you".

That stopped me in my tracks. I felt like such a bastard for telling her that.
    I didnt want her to die. I realized the profound effect my death would have on her.
    Someone loved me and needed me to stay, so I did.

After many years of emptiness, I began to understand that in order for me to live, I had to
    stop going to the KH. Even though I still carried the JW mentality with me, my natural
    desire for happiness and survival overcame my fear of leaving and I finally ran away in the latter part of 1994.

When I left KH, I knew nothing about the world.
    It always felt like I was an alien visitor from Mars,
    observing the curious customs of earthlings. In some ways I still feel this way.
    I was disconnected from the world at a very young age.
    Perhaps that is something that can
    never be repaired.

I got married. My (now-ex) husband abused me very badly.
    One of the milder episodes of abuse involved him dragging me into
    our bedroom, grabbing a pair of blunt scissors and hacking off a large chunk of my hair.
    I wear my hair long now. I will probably never allow anyone to cut my hair into a short style because of this.

It was/is hard for me to tell people everything that happened in my marriage because I
    found out very quickly that there were some people that felt no sympathy for a "battered wife".
    Some of the responses I got were, "Im your friend, not your therapist" or "Im glad
    I was never stupid enough to put myself in a position to be sexually/physically/verbally/emotionally abused".

I began to wonder, was it my stupidity that put me in the position to be violated?
    Or was it that I was conditioned from a tender age that a moral woman does not leave
    her husband just because he is abusing her?

In any case I am learning not to take insensitive comments like those to heart anymore.

I am beginning to understand that being taught that all my life
    that abused women who stayed with their abusive partners were heroes
    was a factor in why I found myself staying in an abusive relationship.

I endured his abuse for a little over a year before I was able to summon the courage to leave.
    I have tried to just forget the bad things from childhood, the bad things from my first marriage.
    Its not working.

My apologies for the length of this post.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Believe me I know I don't have all the answers . I guess I just wanted to say that recovery takes many years , if not an entire lifetime. You may not notice the small things that begin to change about you on the road to recovery. I found it interesting to find a journal I wrote back a year ago, when I first left the WT. In it I still believed most of all the Bible and what the WT said about the end of the world etc. I just thought that it was me and I couldnt go on in staying in something I personally couldnt live up to. I started studing the WT history and started questioning things and before long, I was really moving my heart away from being a JW. The first 6 months, was up and down, I questioned my choice of leaving, wondering if I would die , if armeggedon did come. But slowly but surely things started to make a little more sense, I started having peace in my mind and the nightmares stopped.

The horrible armeggedon nightmares actually stopped and I havent had one since.

You know the things in my childhood and other things in my life, I know I will never forget them. I guess I would not be me if I forgot it all, it took up so many of my years. It would be great to forget them , but that is not always possible. I think we have to learn to live with the memories and not let them take over our happiness . If we do, we become our own enemy. It is like if our parents are not there to abuse us, we are so conditioned to abuse ourselves by not being happy, not enjoying life .

I wish you the very best and hope that you find peace along your road to recovery.

A very sweet lady told me when I first came to this site,,,,,,, take a year , get to know yourself and don't try to find out all of the answers all at once.

I have really had to fight this, being I am a person who wants to know my future as soon as possible. But even if I tried it was exhausting and I knew she was right. Give it time and things will come to you clear as crystal when you are ready to deal with them.

Hugggggggggggs Dede

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Edited by - LyinEyes on 15 September 2002 4:43:22

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Edited by - LyinEyes on 15 September 2002 4:44:2

• ugg
    ugg

understanding and love being sent your way!!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

nilfun One thing you will find here is a lot of support. Many of us were abused as children and some of us as wives. I got them both so I know where you are coming from

Glad you are here and

WELCOME

• nilfun
    nilfun

(((LyinEyes)))
    (((ugg)))
    (((Lady Lee)))

Hey, thanks for your kind replies.
    I hope what I wrote didn't come across
    as self pity.
    I'm just struggling a bit right now.
    I was speeding along nicely but I've suddenly
    hit a speedbump.
    I guess I was needing to know that I was not alone.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    I began to understand that in order for me to live, I had to stop going to the KH.

WOW. You just typed what I thought and did in 1987. I remember telling my mother that most of me would DIE if I kept going to the KH. All that would be left would be a shell. A pretend Lisa. The real Lisa would be gone. I didn't want to die. I wanted to LIVE. So I left.

When I left KH, I knew nothing about the world.
    It always felt like I was an alien visitor from Mars,
    observing the curious customs of earthlings. In some ways I still feel this way.

WOW. This is exactly how I feel and have felt all my life.

I got married. My (now-ex) husband abused me very badly.

I endured his abuse for a little over a year before I was able to summon the courage to leave

WOW! You must be very proud of yourself!! Many women stay in these relationships for years and years and years or never get out! It is no small thing to leave that sort of relationship. It takes real guts and an ability to see past the fog of confusion and guilt the abuser tries to keep you in. You must be a really strong and smart person. J But you know that right?

I have tried to just forget the bad things from childhood, the bad things from my first marriage.
    Its not working.

(((((((((((((nilfun))))))))))))))))))) Glad to meet you.

-LisaBObeesa

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

nilfun - not taken as pity at all - just a statement of how it was. So glad you are free to heal now

• nilfun
    nilfun

(((lisaBObeesa)))

I am not alone. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit