9-15-02 WT Q re: Beroeans

by abbagail 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi UNDF'd or anyone with a copy of the 9-15-02 WT: I saw UNDF's comments in another thread (about non-dubs attending book studies), and UNDF'd mentioned:

The Watchtower Society HATES the Noble Beroeans (from Acts 17:10-12), so much in fact, that in their September 15th 2002 Watchtower, they changed "Be like the Beroeans" into meaning "Do NOT be like the Beroeans"! ... Acts 17:11: Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

When a dub, the Beroeans were my favorite kind of people! I am shocked they would now say we were NOT to be like them. I'd love to see the paragraph or a few sentences where the WT said this (my subs expired in July so I'm SOL from here on in). Anyone willing to type in a few of the sentences or paragraph where it said this, with article Title, etc.? I'm dying of curiosity!

THANKS!
    Grits

Edited by - Grits on 14 September 2002 21:7:22

• obiefernandez
    obiefernandez

Absolutely, someone please post a scan of this ASAP. If they pulled a reversal on this text it would be really damning and good to use on thinking JWs.

Obie

• mann377
  • abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks Mann377, but I'm only seeing the little red-X. I tried to "download image to disk" but that's not happening either. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!
    Grits

• Bosho
    Bosho

Umm... I could be confused, but when I got out the copy to have a look it seems to say "we should still be like the Beroeans."

Page 18 para 12 halfway through says:

"And instead of questioning God's Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first century Beroeans who examined the scriptures closely! (Acts 17: 10, 11)"

Sorry, I don't have a scanner, but that's it word for word. Maybe someone else can scan it.

Depending of course on your translation of the Bible! I take it we shouldn't question the King James... the Douay... the New English...on and on...

• abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks Bosho! that was nice of you to type in the info. I guess I was drooling at the possibility the WT might begin to subtly suggest the JWs STOP being so "studious" since many who ARE "questioning whether these things are so" are having their eyes opened and then running out the KH doors en masse!

Maybe UNDF'd will stop by if he sees this and share a little more detail. I know he's on the ball big time with lots of threads and scriptures.

Thanks again!
    Grits

• Bosho
    Bosho

GRITS;

You're welcome!

It is strange when they encourage you to study the scriptures closely, but not question them.

I always thought that would constitute a blind faith.

Anyway, hope you have a good day!

Edited for bad grammar!!!!

Edited by - bosho on 16 September 2002 21:5:11

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't know if anyone feels this way, but when I read it the WTS sounds to me as if they are saying to not be like the Boreans. At least in a crazy, bass-ackwards, Bizarro way. Notice :

"And instead of questioning God's Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first century Beroeans who examined the scriptures closely!

Well I always thought the point of mentioning the Boreans was the very fact that they did question Paul and his teachings. Isn't that questioning God's Word? I always thought they were lauded because they demanded Paul prove what he was saying. They were not gullible to believe what Paul said unless he backed it up. But it seems to me as if the Watchtower is trying to quiet down folks from criticising what they say, so they are likening themselves to "God's Word" and at the same time they are changing what the Boreans actually did. By saying the Boreans examined the scriptures, it gives the impression that there was no skepticism, no show-me attitude on their part. Just a thought. . . .

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I'm sorry that I haven't responded before now. I just found this Thread.

This is a GREAT THREAD! Thanks to GRITS, Bosho, and Big Tex! [:-)]

You are correct, this is the Quote:

"And instead of questioning God's Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first century Beroeans who examined the scriptures closely! (Acts 17: 10, 11)"

The way that it is worded makes it sound like the Watchtower Society is saying that you can be like the Beroeans and examine the Scriptures, but if you find out that something the Society has told you is NOT TRUE, YOU BETTER NOT QUESTION IT!

The Beroeans were commended by the Apostle Paul (Paul called them Noble-Minded!) because they asked questions, and searched and examined the Scriptures EVERY DAY to make sure that what Paul was telling them was the TRUTH!

ALL True Christians everywhere should imitate the Noble-Minded Beroeans!!!

If everyone had been imitating the Beroeans, the Watchtower Society would have ZERO MEMBERS!

I have quite a few Beroean Watchtower Quotes that I have ready to Post, which I will do here soon.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Heeey UNDF'd! I knew you would run across this thread eventually! No problem! Topics have a short life-span in this forum because so many people are posting, so they tend to slide to the back of the line pretty quick. It's hard to keep up with them all!

Thanks for the added clarification. I see now what you and BigTex are saying.

And thanks, too, for the new 1925 Armageddon thread. I added it to my UNDF'd's Favorites List. I'm afraid I'm going to reach my limit of posts for a day (30 max) so I didn't stop in to that one to write a "thank you," so I'll say it here! Great going, as always!

Grits

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit