Watchtower illegal witness tampering?

by Quotes 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quotes
    Quotes

In another thread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=36530&page=1&site=3#493189), I mentioned a heated incident which happened on Thursday at the Boer vx. Cairns et al trial in Toronto. To refresh the memory:

I only wish others could have seen the self-satisfied smirk on Glen Howe's face when witness for the Plaintiff Frank Motril (sp?) was explaining that he was bankrupt and unable to pay court ordered costs as a result of his unsuccessful attempts to sue WT and several elders in a unrelated case.

When Defence Counsel Colin Stevenson hammered on the point that Motril had not paid the $20K, Motril shot back with something about "And I was offered to have that waived if I agreed to *NOT* participate in this trial"

This threw all the lawyers into a tizzy, Stevenson was caught off guard, and after a brief huddle asked directly "Are you suggesting an impropriety with respect to this case?" (or something like that). The judge very quickly cut off the questioning and said (quite forcefully) "I am not interested in hearing about pre-trial settlement offers!"

She went on to chastize Stevenson because the "entire line of questioning had nothing to do with this case". Stevenson said that it was his intent to show the witness (Motril) had a bias against the Defendants in this case because he had an outstanding costs judgement against him in another case.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but...

For some reason this stuck in my mind, and now I know why. Think about it, if Frank Mottrell had simply raised an unsuccessful pre-trial settlement offer, any good lawyer would have immediately quashed the statement, as those settlement offers are not considered in court, as a matter of law -- which is what the Judge's reaction was.

But the defence didn't brush it of. Instead, he asked Frank if Frank was suggesting an impropriety. Now, that is when the judge shut them both down for discussing pre-trial settlement.

But this was not a pre-trial settlement offer! Frank is not party to the suit, so any offer to him to get him to avoid participating in the case is witness tampering and obstruction of justice!

Somehow the judge missed this, but the defence attorney realized it, and that explains his reaction.

This must be pursued. If Frank Motrell has any proof about this, it must be forwarded to the Canadian Bar Association for investigation. Furthermore, shame on both the judge and counsel for the Plaintiff for not catching this in open court. Even if they had, it would likely be referred to the Bar Association (i.e. not discussed in this court), but it would be interesting to have the judge recommend an investigation, as it would likely carry some serious weight.

Edited by - Quotes on 14 September 2002 11:13:26

• abbagail
    abbagail

Makes sense to me. Bttt so others can have a lookie.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Bttt.

I'd be interesyed in hearing what Commie Chris has to say on this.

Expatbrit

• Commie Chris
    Commie Chris

Vickie told me about the alleged offer to Frank Mottrill a few weeks ago. If it is true, it would almost certainly constitute obstruction of justice - if it can be proven. Further, IF true, it shows an almost unbelievable lack of basic ethics on the part of those who made the offer. If such an offer was made, I strongly doubt that there is any paper trail to prove it. The WT legal team may be many things, but they are not stupid.

It does appear that the Judge mis-understood Frank's statement and thought that he was referring to a pre-trial settlement offer, rather than an alleged bribe offer, and therefore instructed counsel and the witness to say no more about this issue. It is a definite no-no to bring up such pre-trial offers or negotiations during the trial. Pre-trial settlement negotiations are always "without prejudice".

As I said in a post in another thread on this case, I am not Vickie's lawyer, and I was not in court when this exchange took place, so I have very limited information on which to base an opinion. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who was in court on Thursday as to how Vickie's lawyer addressed this issue. Hopefully he asked Frank M. to explain his comments during re-direct examination (in re-direct counsel for the plaintiff can question the witness on any matter which arose for the first time during cross-examination by the opposing counsel).

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Have you considered contacting Bill Bowen or Alan F. with this observation? They seem to have some involvement with the case.

Sam

• Quotes
    Quotes

Chris said:

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who was in court on Thursday as to how Vickie's lawyer addressed this issue. Hopefully he asked Frank M. to explain his comments during re-direct examination

Lamentably, no, Vikie's lawyer has NOT re-directed ANY of his witnesses.

In fact, when Defence was done with cross-examination, and it went back to Vickie's lawyer, and he passed on re-direct examination, Frank Motrell was VISIBLY DISGUSTED and DISSAPOINTED.

Hey, as I said before, I'm no lawyer, but *I* wanted to re-direct Frank to clear up some if the things mentioned in cross. *SIGH*

Edited by - Quotes on 15 September 2002 2:38:55

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes I noticed Frank M. was truly upset that Charlie didnt cross examine ...I cannot for the life of me understand why Vickie was directed to her lawyer by Frank M. ( with two other names) but surely Frank knew Vickies lawyer??//

I have spoken to many lawyers & not many will take on the witness.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

bttt

• abbagail
    abbagail

Mouthy: Why would lawyers NOT want to take on the witnesses? I'd really be interested in what these lawyers said whom you asked about this, and why they wouldn't take a case v. WTS and/or witnesses?

Thanks.
    Grits

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit