I need Help.............

by rollercoaster 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

Okay hi
    I'm new here and I kinda like it but I do have some question have any of you grown up in the truth and then some were along the line stop going to meeting well i did I found out about some stuff the organization was doing and it really disapointed me and also the congregations I have been in haven't been very confornting So if any of you have some you want to talk about or you have been through the same I would really like to hear from you

discombobulatedgirl

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

For all of you to know, Discombobulate is my daughter. she is a young teen. I'm glad she decided to post here. I have confused her a lot, and now I am trying to help her sort things out. Thanks to all for the help I know will come her way.

RC

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Discombobulated:

Nice name!

I grew up in the "truth" too. Didn't get baptized though till I was almost twenty. Finally stopped going to meetings about six months ago. Course, I'm an old guy (early thirties), but I remember what it was like to grow up a JW. Like the cliche'd movie scene where the down-and-out/panhandler is looking through the window of the fancy restaurant at all the people having a good time. I felt like that panhandler. No after school fun with friends, no "bad" associations with other kids.

I assume you've found out stuff from the internet, like the rest of us. This place is full of interesting people, so keep posting, whether questions, observations or simply how you feel about things. In time, you'll become more combobulated again!

Expatbrit.

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

EXP,

did u enjoy the meetings?me never
    I never did get babtized and im sure glad I didnt I am now finding out how much fun life cn be i have REAL friends now im no longer an out cast

discombobulatedgirl

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Did I enjoy the meetings?

Er...well....actually, NO!

OK, sometimes we had a little fun, like when another young person was giving a talk and we sat at the back making chimpanzee faces.

But mostly they were just boring. The same stuff, over and over again. 20 paragraph Watchtower studies that were stretched out to 1 hour, even though the congregation were sitting there like Egyptian mummies...you know how it was.

I'm glad you're finding real friends. Real friends are not conditional friends. They love you even though they may not agree with everything you do.

Expatbrit

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

The friends I had in the "TRUTH" were not really friends as fare as I was concerned they were more like.........um..........well let me see
    whats hat word... oh ya..BACK STABERS and not jut some all but you probebly know that

Edited by - rollercoaster on 24 March 2001 18:43:38

• Lolieworm
    Lolieworm

I grew up in the truth. Both my parents were and still are devout (sp?) In fact my dad is the Presiding Overseer.

I am now 24, was baptized at 15. I stoped going to meetings in 1999 and was d-fed in May of 2000.

I knew something was wrong when I didn't feel guily about not going to a meeting. Or when I did, I was never encouraged, I just sat there checking my watch for when it would end and try not to fall asleep. In fact when I was reproved (age 17) I never approached the elders to get my priveleges back since I enjoyed not having to give talks or comment.

You said things bothered you...like what? Me, it bothered me that if the elders were put there by holy spirit, why couldn't they see all the wrong things that were going on in the hall?

Well that's my story I guess, sorry it's so long.

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

I was nevr bt and glad of it and a far as im conserned the so called elders can eat my >>>..... It was so hard to stay awake and it was like my eyes were glued to my wrist (watch) since I havnt been to a meeting I ahve found that I really do havea life and the friends that I have now are real friends not back stabers

DC

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Discombobulated:

Sounds like you've had a bad time.

I think it's tough to be a real friend to someone else when you're in the WT. That's because everyone lives in fear. Fear of the elders, fear of Jehovah, fear of being marked or shunned for doing something "wrong".

So people can never be really open with one another. They're always looking out for something that might be "worldly" or "demonic". When they think they see something like that, then they run to the elders or talk to others about it. Back-stabbing as you called it.

I try not to feel angry about it. It's better to feel sorry for them, and perhaps, where you can, show them what real friendship is all about.

But, enjoy the real friends you've made now. Real friends are very valuable.

Expatbrit.

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Hi Discombobulated! Welcome, Welcome!

I was raised in "the truth". In fact, my family goes way back as JW's, like 5 & 6 generations. I was a good JW girl. Baptized at 12, pioneer at 16, used many times in assembly parts. I finally left at 24, that was 2 years ago. My reasons were more personal...I was just tired of everyone ruling my life...my parents (dad is a PO), my husband (married for 7 years to MS), the congregation (they ruled so much down to what I was allowed to wear).

I discovered the ex JW world on the internet last summer and now have many added reasons as to why my leaving the Watchtower was the best decision I ever made for myself.

I understand how difficult it is growing up in the WT. I'm glad to see you're allowed to examine these things at an early age. You've got so much to look forward to in your life. And you've got a great mom to help you out in that.

And just like Expatbrit said...enjoy your friends...including the new ones you have here on this board. I too found out very quickly that the friends I thought I had in the organization weren't really true friends at all. Just know they aren't worthy of your friendship but there are many other good people out here in the so-called "world" who are!

Good luck to you! And please chat with us whenever you can!

Shauna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit