Another question none can seem to answer for me!

by Bosho 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bosho
    Bosho

I'm just full of questions and here's another that no one in the hall has ever answered with conviction.

They say that the church steeple is shaped like a phalic symbol (please excuse spelling mistake, mislaid my dictionary!).

So why then was the temple shaped in a remarkably similar fashion (the picture in the back of the Big Bible always worried me). Maybe, just maybe, the church is shaped after the original temple and not .... what they say it is. (blushes!)

Does anyone know?

Or am I being incredibly picky?

• showme
    showme

I think remember hearing that it was to reach toward the sky when I was a little shaver going to sunday school. Might have just been one of those quick answers adults give to a kid when they don't actually know the answer though.
    But when I think about it, Most church bells are in that steple I am pretty sure. So maybe it makes the sound carry further since a steeple is normally taller than most of the surrounding buildings. ???? Or maybe it just looks like a d* ?????

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Regarding the whole phallic symbol thing... you have to remember... the more fundamentalist a person or religion is, the more obsessed with sex. Morbid sex is just about all they think about.

As far as I'm concerned, the steeple is just a steeple, a shape people associate with the church nothing more. If it is supposed to be a phallic symbol, then that means that at some point in time a committee was sitting around a table deciding what to put up with the intent of creating a phallic symbol. This is something I seriously doubt.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Elsewhere,

Unless you are Bill Clinton and Monica!

• metatron
    metatron

I'm reminded of a quote from Ambrose Bierce
    that 'demon rum' is a substance that can cause madness
    - in total abstainers.

Likewise, people who see sex in everything.

Why not ask the people who actually attend the church

"OK, do you see that? Does it represent a giant penis to you?"

After you get slapped silly and the police drag you away,
    you'll have your answer.

metatron

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Last time I checked, my dingy didnt look like a cone.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Speaking of phallic, according to the bible, solomon's temple had two tall pillars at the front. The hebrew word for that was phallic. Each of them also had names. The wt should be pointing fingers at the sex mad solomon. He put's hugh hefner to shame.

SS

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Phalic symbols???

Here is another questionable "I think" explanaton of the church steeples.

A guy named Zecharia Sitchin, an author wrote several books using ancient Stories and museum artifacts to support his belief that there were ancient aliens who came to this world in the past.

He noticed the similarity between the temple spires and modern rocket launch pads and claimed the ancient worshipers put these spires up to copy what the people they thought were god like, did at their sacred launch sites.

While I don't know if this would be the troof or not, it is every bit as possible as the wild ass assertions from the wbts.

Outoftheorg

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

The two temple pillars were called Jachin and Boaz, meaning, "He will establish it in strength." Isn't that what every guy dreams of doing???

• Bosho
    Bosho

Thnaks for making me grin!

When you see things like this is really does highlight the rediculousness of it all. I always did snort with laughter when that was mentioned from the platform. Maybe I won't try to keep my laughter subdued any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit