I feel damaged by my experience

by girltalking 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• girltalking
    girltalking

Hi to everyone on this board - I have been around reading many of your posts for some time now but have only just felt strong enough to post my own thoughts. The Watchtower has left me with guilty feelings that I find hard to cope with at times. My story in the "truth" started when I was 18 years old. I started a bible study and absolutely reveled in it. The feeling of having so many instant friends really appealed to me and I grabbed it with both hands. I was totally convinced that this was Gods Organization and never even thought that my baby girl would even start school. I accepted everything that was dished out to me and didn' t question their teachings as I believed this was going against Jehovahs representatives. As I got older though I started to have doubts and felt unsatisfied with alot of the teachings within the organization.But all the doubts I started to have were pushed aside, afraid that I was developing independent thinking that would make me Jehovahs enemy. One point I always felt really uncomfortable with was how Jehovah could justify allowing so much suffering to take place to prove his sovreignty. I often felt really weird inside when I used to say this to people on the ministry as I couldn,t even get to grips with it myself. The immense suffering that goes on in the world seems too great for God to use it as an "example" to mankind. I also didn't agree with the policy of isolating your children from children outside the meetings. I have 2 daughters and felt It just wasn't natural to resrict them in the way the society wanted me to. I actually considered the children at the Kingdom Hall worse assosciation than their school friends, so to me this made no sense to me at all. I slowly started to drift away about 5 years ago and stopped going to the meetings completely about 3 years ago. I hadn,t yet read any alternative information on JWs, only their own publications but when I started researching on the web and found this and other sites all my own thoughts felt normal at last and not evil as they would have me believe. I read articles that exposed their double standards and hipocrisy and was completely shellshocked and bitter. I would never have admitted that I was brainwashed but I have been. At the moment I am finding it very hard to reconcile my thoughts and feel really screwed up inside. I am glad I,ve left but I feel emotionally damaged and very sad that I spent so many years in fear to live my life. I am so glad that I have found this board, I think this is what I need as I do need help to come to terms with being part of this controling organization. How have any of you recovered from the feelings and thought control imposed upon you by the watchtower and when did you finally feel like a person in your own right again as at the moment I feel I have no identity.

Thank for listening

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Welcome to the board, girlt. You will learn alot being here and you will start to see that you are not alone. Many of us have been down the path you are on.

Keep posting!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Hi G.T. and a big Big BIG WELCOME! I was never a dub, but came to this board trying to figure out my friend who is one...it's really helped me to understand why they act the way they do.

Anyhow, stick around...there are so many people here that have walked in your shoes and can really help you....they're pretty cool people.

You do have an identity...from what you've said, I can see you're a strong person and an independent thinker....you might just have little relapses when you look back over your shoulder and see where you've come from with regards to the Dubs. Not to worry...life's a journey of learning, you've taken a lot of notes now move forward....you've got a lot a classmates here.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

HI girltalking, Welcome!!

You feel like so many others here. Continue to read the threads & posts and you'll begin to understand things you could not before. Stay, keep reading! You'll like it and perhaps heal too.

Edited by - Dismembered on 10 September 2002 13:3:7

Edited by - Dismembered on 10 September 2002 13:4:42

• SYN
    SYN

The thing you talk about, the experience of being free, only truly happened for me about a year and a bit ago...it's lovely, innit? Welcome!

• Flip
    Flip
    I feel I have no identity.

You do now!

Welcome GT, I'll keep listening, if you keep writing like you do!

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Welcome Girltalking!!!!

Believe me, the more you read and learn about the REAL TRUTH of the WTS, the eaiser it will be for you to walk away completely and NOT LOOK BACK!!!

You can click on the box under my name and it will give you alittle bit of info on my situation. *my profile* We've all been through many of the same experiences here. I wish I could get my j.w. family out of the org, but some of them are so enbedded in, I doubt that they will ever get out.

Enjoy your new found freedom!!! And hope to see you around the board!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{cyber hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Tink =;o)

• scumrat
    scumrat

Hey Girltalk, Welcome !!!!!

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

Warm welcome GT! I had been away from the troof for near ten years but only recently started to search for information on JWs as you have. Keep digging it's not all forgeries and deceptions by those only intent to bring down the WTBTS, as they lead you to believe. Many things you'll find are indeed REAL and TRUTHFUL.

I suggest picking up a copy of Crisis of Conscience and check out the threads on JWs in the news. Again Welcome. TT

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Welcome GT.

You do have an identity - you are a mom for starters.

Stick around and read the posts.

Eventhough I have never been a JW, I can see why you would feel damaged by your experience with a high control group such as the JW.

I believe most anybody could be "taken in" by the JW's given the correct circumstances. During one time in my life, having "instant friends" would have seemed wonderful to me also - I was lucky though because during that tough time I did not have any contact with JW's. It wasn't until I did extensive research, I thought the JW's were just the people who knocked at your door (at the wrong time usually) trying to convert you. I had no idea what those people really believed and their customs - I was shocked and bewildered! I would never have guessed that at all.

If you are feeling you were stupid or a fool to be "sucked in", try to move past those thoughts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit