Birthdays

by showme 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Liberty
    Liberty

Friday,

Job wasn't at the party because of a rule known to writers of sit-coms and make believe everywhere, which is, that if he had been at the party he would be dead and there wouldn't be a protagonist to finish out the rest of the story. This is the answer plain and simple. NOT because he thought birthdays were wrong. If the husband in a TV movie isn't on the plane that crashes and kills his wife does that mean he thought planes are evil? No the writer needs him to be alive so he can make up a story about how this death impacted him. THE BIBLE IS MAKE BELIEVE. IT'S NOT REAL. There is no deep meaning in the fact that job wasn't at his children's party, he just needed to be around to finish this fairy tale.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Bona Dea,

I do believe that the scripture in verse 4 is talking about their "birthdays". All one has to do is compare the scriptures referring to a persons "own day" (Job 3:1,3, Jeremiah 20:14) to find that it means the day on which that person was born.

You are much in error, Bona Dea, since none of the scriptures that you refer to contain the expression "own day"! Too, with reference to the words "his day" in Job 3:1, even though the NWTs chain reference does admittedly take the reader over to Jeremiah 20:14, in which one finds the day of birth being spoken of, the fact that such chain reference exists doesnt necessarily prove that the "his day" of Job 3:1 means the day of Jobs birth. Yes, obviously, the one responsible for including such a chain reference apparently considered the possibility that the "his day" of Job 3:1 referred to the day of birth. But, we all know that not ANY translation of the Bible whatsoever is inspired of God, much less the chain references themselves that we find in them. I tend to think that the "his day" of Job 3:1 simply had reference to Jobs LIFE itself. He felt so bad physically that he felt like cursing his life, his very EXISTENCE. "What a LIFE!" Have you ever heard anyone use that expression? Ever heard such words having been spoken in dismay, in order to express ones disappointment over how his or her life has seemingly spiraled downhill towards rock-bottom. I have! So, the "his day" of Job 3:1 shouldnt automatically be thought of as referring to the day of birth referenced two verses later.

Why do you think he would have used the word "maybe", if he knew that celebrating the day on which you are born is wrong?

Actually Im very, VERY glad that you focused in on the fact that Job used the word "maybe". As a matter of fact, as a result of your having done so Im now changing my position. Whereas before I was inclined toward thinking that Jobs sons were banqueting in celebration of their BIRTHDAYS, now I believe that they were merely banqueting PERIOD. AND, when we scrutinize the account closely its seen that thats really ALL the account says they had done. Notice: "And it would occur that when THE BANQUET DAYS had gone round the circuit." (Job 1:5) Yes, not "birthdays" but "banquet days"! Yes, indeed, we notice that what was done --the purpose for which they gathered together--is that they BANQUETED. If indeed his sons had been commemorating their day of birth Job certainly would not have used the word "maybe" ... which fact in itself is CLEAR indication to me that it was not for the purpose of celebrating their birthdays that the sons were taking turns being the host at such gatherings.

Friday

Edited by - Yadirf on 13 September 2002 1:55:59

Edited by - Yadirf on 13 September 2002 2:3:31

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

BTTT

• gumby
    gumby

Quote: he expressed anxiety over the affair.

Over the "AFFAIR"....or the way it "TURNED OUT" Was Job saying to himself..."I wish my children wouldn't celebrate those bad birthdays"

If the affair would have went smooth....would job have been upset?

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    Was Job saying to himself..."I wish my children wouldn't celebrate those bad birthdays"

Gumby, please pay attention. Job's sons were NOT celebrating their birthdays.

I had previously figured that they had fallen into the habit of celebrating their birthdays, since the world seems to be so prone to do that anyway. But NOW I think that they were doing nothing more than taking turns hosting parties for the rest of the group of siblings ... for no other reason than to PARTY. No wonder that righteous Job felt the need to offer sacrifices in their behalf, since the placing of undue emphasis on having pleasure can lead to God's displeasure (simply because it threatens one's spirituality, which naturally threatens a person's determination to do what is right in God's eyes). Was not Job's sons doing just that ... placing a too much emphasis on pleasure? Yes! ... they each would take their turn hosting a banquet ... until they all had hosted ... THEN, apparently, they would start the circuit all over again. Round and round, a never ending cycle of banqueting! Apparently, even as most women are content to let the men take the lead, Job's daughters were quite content to let their brothers throw the parties. So, it looks like the WTS has been right all along, in saying that the banqueting was NOT in celebration of any birthdays.

• minimus
    minimus

FRIDAY, Do you enjoy sex?....Perhaps placing too much emphasis on pleasure...? btw....Friday, do YOU think that celebrating a birthday is unscriptural?

• showme
    showme

So what is wrong with celebrating a birthday in todays day and age , when nobody will chop off your head. 16th you are old enough to drive, I remember how much I looked forward to that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit