Do JW's use the bible to preach anymore?

by lostinthought 18 Replies latest jw friends

• fukitol
    fukitol

I'm curious: do they have any of their Bibles on their ultra pathetic street literature stands?

If I walked up to a JW literature cart,would I see a Bible? If I asked them for a Bible what would they say?

The Mormons give away free Books of Mormon at their literature stands.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    fukitol2 hours agoI'm curious: do they have any of their Bibles on their ultra pathetic street literature stands?
    If I walked up to a JW literature cart,would I see a Bible? If I asked them for a Bible what would they say?

I have been told that they are discouraged from giving out the more expensive bibles. I've never seen them on an apathy trolly. Why would the GB want anyone to read the bible? ....even their cult version of the bible? Reading the bible would show what hypocrites the cult leaders are.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The wt is published in over 500 languages thier bible in only about 96. Do they care about you reading the bible, doesnt look like it to me.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

It's funny, I knew less about the Bible as a JW elder then now.

I have encounter pioneers at my door over the years and in each case if

I bring up something from the bible they always say, let me get back to you

on that.LOL

Lets face it, JW are most uneducated folks when it comes to the bible...

• Clambake
    Clambake

I remember studying with an Elder and the topic “the Israel of god “ came up. He explained to me these are the magical Christians that would rule with Christ in the heavens and the only ones today who can understand the bible (before the GB anointed themselves alone).

So I explained the book of Galatians to the elder. Basically Paul is writing the letter as a warning to the church in Galatia (sp) on the tip of Spain to beware of the so called Jewish Christians that were spreading the false teachings about the obedience to Mosaic Law being essential to your salvation. You are saved though Christ alone and blah blah blah. All basic Christian teachings.

So the book ends with something like blessing to them and the Israel of God. I don’t know the exact phrase.

Judging from the theme of the book wouldn’t you think the Israel of god might have meant, Jewish Christians who followed basic Christian teachings? (Christ alone, saved by faith).

So what you actually want me to believe was Paul was talking about Gentile Christians and heavenly hopers who were not supposed to be born pass 1935 and now are recognized as only seven men in 2012 ?

That is what Paul was talking about. He was dumbfounded.

I soon realized he didn’t know anything other Watchtower propaganda . He had no idea of common themes and how books of the bible relate to each.

He also never talked to me again.

Not that I have a masters degree in divinity but I think the average JW is dangerously uneducated when it comes to teaching the bible.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" I think the average JW is dangerously uneducated when it comes to teaching the bible."

Ain't dat da truf !

By the way, just a slight cavil, Galatia on the tip of Spain ?

The Bible as we have it, as chosen by the Church in the late 4th Century, is an eclectic collection of writings, by many different authors, all living at different times, and notably, all with an agenda.

The Bible is basically a fraud from start to finish, and there is no common theme, apart form them all mentioning their view of god.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

They've always technically used the Bible to preach...

...but the WT-colored glasses have always been there, too.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Vid, you are right as usual, and of course that continues, the last visit I had ( 2 Elders) one of them eventually pulled out a Bible and read a verse from some O.T book about "returning to Jehovah" as though that applied to me ????

The verse applied to Israel, but through his WT Specs it should have touched my heart and made me rush back to the K.H.

I think now that JW's will rarely have a Bible to hand, just their Literatrash.

It was always very much that way, I remember when an Elder and I were frequently the only ones in F.S in the mid-week, and we decided we would ONLY use the Bible, no literature, that was novel, and not all that easy even for me and him, two guys who knew their Bible. We were unique at the time amongst JW's I beleive.

We never made any converts of course, but had some good chats. Today's JW's could not even do that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "...I think now that JW's will rarely have a Bible to hand, just their Literatrash...."

Well, let's be honest...

x

...the tracts and magazines are a hell of a lot easier to read.

('Specially these days. :smirk:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit