Greg Stafford

by RR 13 Replies latest social current

• RR
    RR

I got this on a forum. I left the name out, but the information is good.

To all,

I have been recently thinking quite a bit about the blood doctrine lately. As some of you may know, Bro. Lawrence Hughes from Canada recently lost his daughter to leukemia. I thought it was pretty sad to read in the newspapers that he had not seen his daughter, as he had been restricted from doing so, since she left to receive treatment in Edmonton. The article indicated that he did not see his daughter during the remaining three months of her life.

As a parent, this saddens me, as I am sure it would anyone. But recently my saddness has turned to anger for several reasons. One being that there there have been brothers who have taken a strong stance against Bro. Greg Stafford for assisting Bro. Hughes in his fight to help his daughter. I dont know all the particulars, but am aware that Bro. Hughes wanted his daughter to make an "informed decision." Since she had only been exposed to the anti-blood transfusion position, and had not been exposed to any information to the contrary, nor to any information showing the instability of the doctrine as taught by the Society.

Personally, I think Bro. Stafford's decision to assist was honorable. Am sure many of the friends do not think so, since his testimony was for assisting Bro. Hughes and not his wife, who remained loyal to the WT's position. I feel many cannot look beyond the superficial, that all they see is Greg "going against the society." Since Sister Hughes had WT attorney's representing her.

I have never been one to blame the Society for "taking the life" of an individual because of the blood doctrine, mostly because I feel we are all responsible for our own decisions. However, given that the society directly assisted in this case, putting themselves in the middle of a battle between the two parents diverse views, are they to be considered liable for the child's death? I personally dont know If I would go that far, but am interested in knowing others comments about this matter. I would also would be interested in hearing from anyone who supports the society's position on blood, and why you may feel the way you do regarding Bro. Stafford's assisting Bro. Hughes in this trial.

Hope to hear from several of you.

Edited by - RR on 7 September 2002 17:3:0

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I think brother Stafford has embarked on one tough journey, and I sincerely hope he'll reach ashore safely. His "Three Dissertations" is a great work in summing up pros and cons in the areas of sensitive questions, and I hope people will be able to look behind the arguments, to see what he is really trying to do or wishing for. He is not one who with a light pen says "yes" to everything, and he is not one who critizises for the sake of critisism, neither. He wants a true, Bible-based organization and congregation, where abuse of power and speculations have been put aside, and there is respect and love and the right to decide for oneself and stand for that. I deeply respect the brother, but he is carrying out some mighty tough acts of balancing work.

• minimus
    minimus

Does anybody know how Greg is being treated by the organization?

• Simon
    Simon

The guy is standing up for what is right ... respect.

I would imagine the WTS will turn their guns against him as they do not like it when:

a). People disagree with them and think for themselves

b). Have the couage of their conviction to follow through with action

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

He has not faced any judicial action from the org.

• scholar
    scholar

RR

I was pleased to read your comments on Bo. Greg Stafford. I for one applaud his courage, intellectual insight and his capacity to think '' outside the square'. His recent publications demonstrate that he is a man who truly loves God's Word and the brotherhood. A close friend of mine who spent some time with Greg and his wife found him to be a most deirable young man, reminds one of how the Apostle Paul described Timothy,

.I wish Greg well for the future and I remain loyal to him whatever the outcome.

scholar

BA MA (Studies in Religion)

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Do you know him, Mike Musto?

It is strange that he has experienced nothing, since people reading his lates book, have ..................

• jwsons
    jwsons

The main problem is The WacoTower and Dark Society, she is the cause of division in this family in this sadness tragedy. She is a great harlot! UN, Regi, Cannibalism, alter civil service, etc...

jwsons

• JT
    JT

Old Hippie says:

He wants a true, Bible-based organization and congregation, where abuse of power and speculations have been put aside,

&&&&&&&&

I could not help but think that was what many of us wanted when we first started this journey of -rexamining the org, many call it REFORM, but after awhile as one continues to look at the foundatin that the org sits on it becomes very clear that such a wish is only a dream.

for many of us when our examination took us back to the Core Dogma of the "We speak for God" like moses and the rest of the men of old- it became clear that that any reform would require admiting that no we don't really speak for god like we claimed.

of course at that point the entire super-structure upon which wt sits falls down- and the same for Greg and Old Hippie and many others one day they will reach that point and they too will feel like we do PIssed at the fact that they were Hoodwinked and Bamboozled.

it is truly a cruel joke that wt plays on so many sincere folks like Greg and Old Hippie and others who in my view want to do what is right, but are being lead down a road where there is no payday as promised

how sad

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Old Hippie,

I do not know him personally but have exchanged a few emails with him. I asked him

about his status in the cong and he said he has not faced any judicial action. He also

posts on channelc every once in awhile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit