Last thought on Iraq

by freedom96 41 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

There seems to be a lot of discussion these days about Iraq, even on this site, which I think can be handled in one easy illustration.

If your family was mugged, and the mugger without question is going to shoot and kill them, but you have the opportunity to shoot and kill the mugger first, would you not do it? No time to discuss the consequences with the mugger, cannot discuss with said mugger on how he would "feel" if you shot him, no time for anything. If you do not react, he will kill your family without question, without hesitation. Very simple. Family dies, or the mugger dies. It really is that simple. Which do you chose? I would sincerely hope that each one of us would absolutely save our family at whatever cost. This is not to suggest that any one of us wants to kill, however this is an extreme situation.

The mugger is Saddam and the other terrorists out there. The family is ourselves, our friends, our family, our country, our way of life. If we do not stop him now, we will suffer the consequences. It is either him, or us. It really is that simple.

• TR
    TR

Good illustration. I agree.

TR

• wasasister
    wasasister

Without revealing my opinion on the issues at this time, I do find the terms, "very simple" and "without question" to invalidate your analogy.

If the situation in Iraq were "very simple" and there were "no questions", why would people be so divided about it?

Wasa/trying for moderate reasonableness class

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

freedom96,

The governments exist on this earth for no other reason than to serve Christ. Sound strange?

Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

They are permitted to function in His place to keep order until He returns. So if one government near(visible) of far away (invisible) falls out of line and another decides to punish it then that is their place. Makes no difference how we feel about it. This arrangement is totally out of our hands.

Joseph

• freedom96
    freedom96

wasasister,

To clarify, I do not mean to suggest that "it is that simple" in that no thought goes into what we do or don't do. No doubt, going to war is a huge undertaking, and there are thoughts and consequences to all our actions. But the decision of what needs to be done is clear, but though admittedly not a choice that anyone wants to make.

But, at the same time, our lives are clearly in danger, much like the illustration that I used originally.

• Legendary U.2.K.
    Legendary U.2.K.

If america & iraq go to war, it's more proof that mankind is stupid, and they will fight & die for nothing... *I continue to laugh at the world & all it's ignorance*

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi U2K,

Since you laugh at the worlds ignorance and stupidity, why don't you take your intelligence and do something about it???

Ken P.

• SYN
    SYN

Guys, we could fill hundreds of megabytes of database tables with our discussions on the subject, but what, essentially, is the point of it all? It's a waste of bandwidth! The decision will not be made by little old US HERE ON THIS SITE! So just sit back and wait for the fireworks! It's not like we can DO anything about it!

[SYN], of the Pulling Up A Deckchair Class.

• Valis
    Valis

One can rationalize the attack on Iraq w/any sort of patriotism one wants to, but the simple fact is that war spurs the economy and George Bush needs that to happen right now. Simple huh?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• teejay
    teejay

[quote]If your family was mugged... [quote]

freedom,

Those five words render your analogy moot, imo. What if your family *wasn't* mugged but "someone" thought they *might* be, based on very shaky "evidence".

Would you kill the alleged "soon to be mugger"? and, if you did...

Would a court of law excuse your act as justifiable?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit