A difficult yet necessary decision

by Brother Jeramy 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

No doubt they will put the fault down to one or two elders, they're just imperfect men after all. The problem is that there shouldn't be any douchbag elders in the first place. They are so reluctant to remove bad elders.

Brother jeremey, If you are going to write a letter you might want to include the instructions on reinstatement written in the secret shepherding the flock book.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    This was a harsh awakening for you. I'm sorry for both you and the other brother.Better now than your whole life dedicated to all that nastiness.
  • never a jw
    never a jw

Sorry, this is tangentially related.

I don't get it. To avoid disfellowshipping for a blood transfusion, what the "sinner" has to do is repent and show that he/she was under pressure. You would think that if God is willing to allow someone to die, is because the sin is very serious, and therefore requires a harsh and long punishment. But no, all you have to do is repent and show that you accepted blood transfusion under pressure. On the other hand, if you have sex out of marriage (nobody dies... usually), repentance is not enough, a long and humiliating process is expected.

If someone willingly takes blood, perhaps because

of being under extreme pressure, the committee

should obtain the facts and determine

the individual's attitude. If he is repentant, the

committee would provide spiritual assistance in

the spirit of Galatians 6:1 and Jude 22, 23. Since

he is spiritually weak, he would not qualify for

special privileges for a period of time, and it may

be necessary to remove certain basic privileges. (p. 111 Shepherd the Flock of God)

Punishment for very serious offense (blood transfusion):

nothing if you play the game well.

Punishment for most other offenses (deemed not as severe):

long humiliating process

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

So, if I understand this right, you are leaving the KH, because a schmuck (his standing with the elders) got backhanded by the elders for having the impertinence of asking them to speed up his reinstatement process? The WT-org is a cruel taskmaster, always has been, always will be.

Why not leave over something that directly affected you or over a false doctrinal issue- and then make public statement about it?

The elders did that guy a favor- they likely sensed that he wouldn't be able to unlearn ( in 3 or 4 months) his old (now incorrect) WT dogmas and would have made trouble for them down the road, ie, "that's not how we used to do it, that's not how the generation was taught 20 years ago". It's not repentance they needed from him, no, it was 9 to 12 months of continuous brainwashing at the KH.

• kaik
    kaik
    Generally once person stumble, there is little forgiveness and it lingers permanently with your personal record to the death. Exception are if the person has extensive family in the KH that irons the wrinkles on the persona. My sibling was not DA or DF, but had some issues in the past where until today some JW consider my sibling to be reinstated apostate (but this is not true). I also knew a a person whose husband was elder, but she was not. She actually opposed until he died, and she got baptized after his death. However, the association of her past lingered and lingered and many JWs ostracized her for her prior action. Nonetheless, she is very nice person and I really liked her, but elderette wives always mentioned her past behind her back.
  • Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

zimunzucz, you asked:

Why not leave over something that directly affected you or over a false doctrinal issue- and then make public statement about it

Because it doesn't have to be about me. For years I was able to remain an active Witness while existing in the tension stemming from my serious misgivings about certain Watchtower teachings. Untold numbers of Witnesses continue to do this, and for various reasons. But seeing the pain this young man bore as a result of the merciless way he was undeservedly treated was a breaking point or me. It's not easy to explain, but suffice it to say that this young man exhibits an inescapably obvious humility and goodness of character, along with a joyful innocence and profound intelligence matched with an unmistakable spiritual disposition. He possesses the child-likeness that Jesus spoke of. This is a young man who should have been embraced by a congregation of people supposedly known for their goodness and kindness, not left cold and hungry outside the door waiting for the "master," whose arbitrary rules insist on paranoid caution before radical compassion.

And so seeing this young man crushed as he was -- and it included a deep suffering that came from his realizing he had been deceived and treated with coldness -- well it was my breaking point. I can carry my own suffering, but seeing his suffering changed me.

And I know he is not the only one who goes through this. That's the other reality I had to wake up to.

But it doesn't have to be about me.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Normally I would have said just fade. However I note your strong feelings about the situation and how that has changed you I know he is not the only one who goes through this. That's the other reality I had to wake up to.

So I agree it does seem proper to inform your friends in the area before hearing the message that 'you are no longer a JW.'

A case could or should be made that you are and will continue to be a person who lives by Christian principles. That not only did you not commit a scriptural offense but that you sought to uphold Christian principles.

Perhaps it will awaken more then a few to the reality of being in such a high control religion that they must shun you as they would the most vile person imaginable.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

A selfless act, as you describe it. I recommend you join the Catholic church after you leave the KH. I see a calling there for you, brother Jeramy. They place a high value on selfless actions, charity, fasting and penance

• FinallyMe
    FinallyMe
    Thanku all for sharing ... I'm only just out at age 46 and YES so glad to have gotten my children out! The struggle leave is finally worth it but gawd it was hard for a while there. Still is at times. So sad this young man was treated inhumanely and as far from Christ-like as you can get.
  • jhine
    jhine

Just spotted this thread , don't know how I missed it two months ago .

Well done Brother J . Your compassion and conscience do you credit .

Zimunzucz ! ? stop trying to nab him for the Catholics , us Protestants aren't too bad . Lol .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit