Could this happen to you?

by adjusted knowledge 11 Replies latest jw friends

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

An advanced directive/ healthcare proxy will speak for you when and if you cannot speak for yourself about the medical care you will and will not accept. It doesn't prevent your caretaker(s) from sharing their religious beliefs with you. Who's gonna stop them?

------

Hi CoCo! I'm sure it was very difficult for you.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I have a childhood friend, currently DF, who is my age (48), just a couple of months older than me. I found out he had a stroke and is now in a nursing home. He is divorced (I believe not just separated now), his JW mother died a couple of years ago, his younger brother has his own health issues and cannot help. His sister not in the pic either, don't think his siblings are dubs.

Took me awhile, but I finally located him in a nursing home about 20 miles away. He was sitting near the door when I arrived. He has some long term memory but his short term seems damaged. He thinks he has been in the home 10 months. The CNA pulled me aside and told me it had been less than 2 and reminded me he had a stroke and doesn't always make sense. He recognized me immediately and seemed genuinely happy to see me. Physically fine, mentally has TBI. Don't know the prognosis long term. How awful to be 48 and maybe in a home the rest of your life...and not a real high end one either.

Oh, the good news.... the JWs happened upon him and are trying to locate his former congo to consult with them about possible reinstatement.... I just threw up in my mouth a little. On one hand I want him to have people to look after him, on the other, I am saddened it is the dubs. I am not in a position to help or I would.

Sigh. I need to get a new Advanced Directive for my wife and I. This is just a reminder to myself.

Snakes ())

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit