How do JW's define god in reference to Jesus?

by pseudoxristos 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Hi everyone,

In a group on Yahoo, I'm involved in a discussion about the deity of Jesus. I've asked the Witnesses there to give a specific definition of the word god (in reference to Jesus) in John 1:1. So far they have not responded. I was wondering if any current JWs or or former JWs here could give me a the proper Watchtower definition/view. I've quoted The American Heritage Dictionary for a start.

Thanks,

pseudo

god (gd) noun
    1. God. a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent,
    omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal
    object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions. b. The force,
    effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being. c. Christian
    Science. "Infinite Mind; Spirit; Soul; Principle; Life; Truth; Love"
    (Mary Baker Eddy).
    2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in
    and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to
    control some part of nature or reality.
    3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
    4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: money was
    their god.
    5. A very handsome man.
    6. A powerful ruler or despot.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English
    Language, Third Edition 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

• heathen
    heathen

From past encounters with the jw and reading some of their literature ,they view the word god as a lesser meaning than the word GOD. In capitals it would refer to jehovah and in lower key could be used in reference to satan,jesus,or just about anyone with any kind of autority such as government or perhaps people with extraordinary ability and skill ,like rock stars ,sports figures what the hell,movie stars.

• Dazed
    Dazed

Heathen was sort of right. Jesus and Satan would both be considered gods according to their viewpoint, as well as the higher ranking angels. However, I don't believe Dee Snyder or Harrison Ford are considered gods, but I haven't read the most recent Watchtower. :o)

Dazed...and thoroughly confused.

• traveler_ca
    traveler_ca

They also believe that there is only one true god, (monothesic) so in the spirit of the debate, ask them If jesus is a true god, or a false god. Obviously they won't call jesus a false god, bit if they answer that he is a true god they contradict their teaching that there is only one true god. Remind them of this when they answer you. This line of reasoning works well in favour of the trinity doctorine. I'm interested to hear what their reply is on this

• Dazed
    Dazed

The problem with that line of reasoning traveler is that you assume there can only be true gods and false gods. Using "god" as an adjective or descriptive term doesn't require that the person (or thing) being described be "true" or "false", it only describes their abilities. Check the definition of "god" in Webster's, it doesn't have to mean only 1 thing.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Thanks for your thoughts everyone,

The big problem I seem to be having with their discussion is that the meaning seems to be in a constant state of change depending upon the line of reasoning. When challenged with the concept of only one god, they counter with the idea that there are many gods (basically anyone or thing with authority). When it is suggest that he is not a true god they state that in fact he is a god just not "The God". The only response so far that seems to work the best with JWs beliefs is that the word god should be viewed as an adjective (such as "Divine"). If this is the case, it still does not answer the question of whether Jesus is a god or not. I don't get it, I'm still confused.

pseudo

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Hi I hope these help,

Colossians 2:9

"For in Chirst all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form."

Hebrews 1:8 Jehovah calls his son God. It says... "But about the Son he says, "Your throne o God will last for ever and ever.... vrs 10......In the beginning, o Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth

Look at these scriptures below comparing Jehovah God and Jesus

God is Alpha and Omega Rev. 1:8
    Jesus is Alpha and Omega Rev. 22:12-16

God returns to Mt. of Olives Zech 14:4-5
    Jesus returns to Mt. of Olives Acts 1:9-12

The gospel of God 2 Cor. 11:7
    The gospel of Christ 2 Cor. 10:14

Jehovah is Lord Dt. 6:4, 2 Sam. 7:28, Ps.
    18:31, Ps. 118:27, 1 Kings 18:39
    Jesus is Lord Phil. 2:11, 1 Cor. 12:3, John 13:13, Jude 4, 1 Cor.
    16:23

****God is Savior Isa. 43:3, 10-11, Hos. 13:4****
    ****Jesus is Savior Luke 2:11, Acts 4:10-12, Titus 1:3-4, 2:13***

God is Creator Gen. 1:1, Ps. 102:25
    Jesus is Creator Col. 1:16, Heb. 1:2,10, John 1:3,10

God is worshipped Ex. 20:3-5, Rev. 22:9
    Jesus is worshipped Heb. 1:6, John 20:28, Matt. 28:9

God pours out Spirit Joel 2:27-28
    Jesus pours out Spirit Acts 2:33

God is Judge Ps. 50:5-6, Rom. 2:5
    Jesus is Judge John 5:22, Rev. 2:23, 22:12

God is Shepherd Psalm 23:1
    Jesus is Shepherd John 10:14

God knows all Ps. 139:1-4
    Jesus knows all John 21:17

God forgives sins Jer. 31:34, Luke 5:21
    Jesus forgives sins Matt. 9:2, Mark 2:5-10

God sanctifies us 1 Thess. 5:22
    Jesus sanctifies us Eph. 5:25-26

Every knee bows to God Isa. 45:21-23
    Every knee bows to Jesus Phil. 2:10-11

agape love gold_morning

• Farkel
    Farkel

: : How do JW's define god in reference to Jesus?

The plain truth is, JWs define Jehovah God as that Being who will surely kill you if you don't do what they say. Jesus is just a fixture they put up on the fireplace mantle for show.

Farkel

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

That was a Great Post gold_morning!

Here is a Thread with Scriptures that show that Jesus Christ was the Alpha and the Omega, and that He was worshiped, and that He was prayed to, and that He knows all things, and that He is called Jehovah (Yahweh), and that He is called God Almighty:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=36024&site=3
  • Dazed
    Dazed

Gold, great points, but I'm not sure that is the point of the topic.

Farkel, JW's wouldn't have anything on their mantel silly.

Since this is turning into a trinity discussion, instead of a translation discussion (God vs. "a god"), does believing in the trinity have any effect in reference to salvation? Does the bible, in any scripture, say "thou shalt believe the God and Son and Holy Spirit are One." Simple answer...NO. If that is the case, why have christians (not just JW's and mainstream) been arguing the point for hundreds of years?

Perhaps I should post this on a new topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit