Society profiting from Conventions

by freedom96 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Prisca,

: LOL @ Derrick - that was one funny post dude!

Of course Derrick has been complaining for many years about this stuff, yet he still is (apparently) a dub. That either makes him a huge coward or a huge hypocrite.

Not a good choice among the two.

Farkel

• Prisca
    Prisca

Many have their own reasons for staying in the WTS, despite what they know about the organisation. It's not for us to judge them, unless we are walking in their shoes.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Prisca,

: Many have their own reasons for staying in the WTS, despite what they know about the organisation. It's not for us to judge them, unless we are walking in their shoes.

I asserted that Derrick is either a coward or a hypocrite and that was based upon WHAT HE SAID.

You posted the drivel above.

If Derrick is not either a coward or a hypocrite then please tell us what other possibilities there are GIVEN WHAT HE SAID IN THIS THREAD. Please be specific.

At the very least your observations are stupid.

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Sorry, Rick, but the Red Cross is out as far as the Borg is concerned.

Check out your old copies of The Watchtower: any of the R&F giving any support at all to the Red Cross is to be dealt with by a JC.

Why? Well, because helping others who are worldly is, well, it's a worldly thing to do!

Don't let texts like "caring for widows and orphans in their tribulation" (James) get in the way of Watchtower doctrine.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Prisca
    Prisca

Farkel,

I suggest you attend anger management classes, based on what you have said in the posts above.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

At the very least your observations are stupid

Why is the fact that she finds his post funny, or that she chooses not to judge others STUPID?

I think your assertion that her observation is "stupid" is bloody ridiculous. How about that?

If Derrick is not either a coward or a hypocrite then please tell us what other possibilities there are GIVEN WHAT HE SAID IN THIS THREAD. Please be specific.

Please explain how she is supposed to know the workings of Derricks mind (for want of a better word) YOU are the one who has categorically established that he is either a coward or hypocrite with no other possibility open. You are obviously the one who knows these things. she merely makes a personal observation. anyone told you your turning into a real dipstick?

Edited by - refiners fire on 7 September 2002 2:34:9

• Simon
    Simon

I think there is far too much labeling people "dumb" because they have a different viewpoint to ourselves or choose to approach things differently.

Most of the time we don't know the complete circumstances that others are in and so any judgement that we make over their actions can be completely off track.

• sleepy
    sleepy

I wrote this in a post last year.

About a week ago I returned from my holidays which included a trip to Fance were I have relatives .During this breack my Wife and I decided It might be intresting to vist the international convention staged in Paris .
    My wife had previously booked accommodation through the society via her mothers congregation in France.
    The cost for 3 nights in 2 star accommodation was 15 pounds ($20) each a night. Which was the usual price in this type of hotel.
    I belive through making bulk booking the society gets discount.
    Imagine my supprise when I found out that poeple who had booked from Britian through the society had paid over 600 pounds ($900) for 6 nights in 2 star accommodation not including flighs or meals.
    Where did all this money go ?
    I dont know how much poeple paid from other countries but I estimate that there were a least 10,000 brothers from foriegn lands.
    If the true cost of accommodation was closer to 100 pounds a head they made 500 pounds profit on each pearson thats 5,000,000 pounds
    ($7,500,000) just on the foreigners.
    Was the assembly a fund raising exercise to pay the tax they owe in France?
    Anyone know anymore about these sort of events?

Edited by - sleepy on 7 September 2002 5:40:8

• caspian
    caspian

Thought this news article fits.

Bigger Break Sought On Stadium
    Evansville, Indiana USA

Jehovah's Witnesses want it for $4,000 a night instead of $5,000

By HERB MARYNELL Courier & Press staff writer
    September 5, 2002

The Jehovah's Witnesses will bring two, three-day conventions to Evansville next year, if the price is right.

Sandie Aaron, regional general manager for SMG-Evansville, which manages Roberts Stadium for the city, said she would only charge the Jehovah's Witnesses $5,000 a night, including a $1,500 fee for parking.

The religious group wants to pay $4,000 a night.

Evansville Parks Board members Wednesday said they wanted the conventions in the city, but agreed with Aaron that $5,000 a night already is a bargain.

She said other groups probably would be charged up to $15,000 a night to rent the stadium.

Board members said slashing the rent more poses a bad precedent that could lead to other stadium users wanting similar discounts.

The board suggested that the Evansville Convention & Visitors Bureau find someone willing to pay the additional $1,000 a night to bring the convention in.

Executive Inn Manager Joe Vezzoso said he would do what he could to ensure the convention comes to Evansville.

About 8,000 people are expected to attend each night of the convention, Jehovah's Witnesses representatives said.

Aaron said other stadium users pay $1 per person for parking.

She's charging only $1,500 a night for parking, which is the fee for groups using only the parking lot for events, Aaron said.

The parking fee can't be reduced another $1,000 a night because the revenue is used to pay off a city bond for past stadium improvements, Aaron said.

James Gates, a Jehovah's Witnesses representative from Louisville, Ky., said 8,000 people visiting Evansville for six days would mean a significant boost in dollars spent in the city.

"For a few hundred dollars (in rent) you give up millions (of dollars)," he told the Parks Board.

The religious group's representatives said they can save the city some costs because they have volunteers who will clean the building, handle the parking of vehicles and do other chores during the conventions.

But Aaron and city officials said the stadium has union workers who must do those jobs.

Jehovah's Witnesses officials have held the regional conventions in Louisville, but now are seeking another location because the fees are increasing there.

Gates said the group needs to make a decision soon on where to hold conventions next year.

http://www.myinky.com/ecp/local_news/article/0,1626,ECP_745_1375966,00.html

PROFIT You bet!!!!!!!!!

Caspian

• TheSurvivor
    TheSurvivor

Hmmmmmmm. I'm still a brother as far as anyone knows. (Except for a VERY select few.) Does that make me a coward or hypocrite? Well, maybe a hypocrite, but NOT a coward. A true coward would have never allowed himself to see things as they really where, or if he did, never do anything at all about it. Personally there are many reasons that I choose to allow myself to be seen as a brother. Mostly it is the fact that I have been living a double life for so very long, that it just comes second nature. Instead of seeing myself as a hypocrite, I prefer to think of myself as a member of the "resistance," doing what I can from the inside to free some minds. Many resistance leaders in past wars did most of their damage from the "inside." They were just ordinary shop keepers during the day, and hellraisers at night. This is a very fine line that folks in the resistance walk. If you are not VERY good at it, you will be caught by the JW "security forces" which seem to be everywhere sometimes. I know this may sound wierd, but if you don't look at it like this, you're toast.

TheSurvivor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit