Fortunate but not lucky

by dsgal 7 Replies latest jw friends

• dsgal
    dsgal

Does anyone know why JWs can say they are "fortunate",but cannot say they are" lucky"?The Webster's dictionary says" fortunate" is a synonym for" lucky",so what's the difference?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

It's pretty stupid. Like most of their unwritten beliefs and rules. Kind of like when I was little, my Dad wouldn't let our grandmother give us presents wrapped in red paper on Christmas day. But if it was wrapped in brown paper Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas it was okay. It's all a bunch of crap. All of us kids knew it was a Christmas present no matter how it was wrapped or when she gave it to us.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I recall it being the "God of Luck" and they tied that into some pagan thing of some sort. Just another way to seperate themselves from the world. That was one of the lamest things I remember: If the world does it, we are not. Don't need any more explanation of that.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Those who use the term "luck" and "lucky" are supposed to be superstitious as there is no such thing as "LUCK". I laugh that they use the term fortunate though. The root of the word is based in the Roman God for "LUCK" called "Fortuna" By saying fortunate rather than lucky the JW's invoke a pagan goddess.

• Gopher
    Gopher

You wanna try REASONING with a Witness on this matter??

GOOD LUCK!

I remember censoring myself (as a JW) on that phrase, changing it to "I wish you success" or "I hope things turn out well for you". How politically correct did you have to be when talking to other J-dubs? sheesh!

• dsgal
    dsgal

Thanks to all for your replies.

Gopher,

No,I don't think I want to try reasoning with a witness on this matter.They've been brain-washed to say "fortunate"so it wouldn't do any good.

Yerusalyim,

Very enlightening!

freedom96,

I agree,it is a very lame excuse they use to say they're separate from the world.

Billygoat,The old "wrap the gift in brown paper and give it on a different day"thing just doesn't cut it.

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

cause they're big stinky poo poo heads? ~FS

• minimus
    minimus

OF COURSE THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!.......Have you ever heard anyone say "So,baby, do you wanna get fortunate?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit