What have you been up to?

by ShaunaC 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Life as a JW is very...well...sheltered. Many experiences are outright condemned. Still, when others don't have specific rules against them, we more often than not, at least I did, choose not to engage in them so as not to stumble someone who would not approve.

Very soon after my exodus from the WT I decided that life is an adventure. It's all about our experiences, some good and some bad. But they all make up us as people and add to our life story. I decided that I wanted my life story to be full of events. You know the saying...the biggest regrets aren't what you have done but what didn't do!

Since I left the WT 2 years ago, I've been able to experience many new things. They range from the SIMPLE "no big deal" that I could have always done if given the opportunity....to the NAUGHTY "oh my god, you didn't" that I would get DF'd for all over again.

I've learned to surf, wakeboard & snowboard (the product of dating an extreme sports extraordianare). I've skydived, which btw, I wholeheartedly believe absolutely everyone should do at least once in thier life. I did it in Monterey over the ocean & quilt-like patchwork of the crops below from 14,000 feet. A truly breathtaking experience that I can't wait to do again soon! And although it took some time, I eventually learned to enjoy the holidays. The last to partake in was Halloween last year. I went to a rave party in San Diego dressed as, what else...a devil, in honor of my WT past...it's what my parents think of my anyway. (Many of you have already seen the pic) :) I've also greatly enjoyed many new "naughty" experiences that I will refrain from elaborating on so as not to make any of you blush :|

The point is...I'll try almost everything once. But I always try to temper that adventurous spirit with my age, knowledge & personal conviction of what is wrong & right for me.

So what new adventures have you been able to enjoy now that you no longer have the constraints of the WT? And if you're just beginning your life fo freedom, what would you like to do? Chances are that there is someone here who has already done it!

Please share! It helps all those that lurk to see that life can be rich & full without the the overbearing rules of the WT!

Shauna

• joelbear
    joelbear

Great post Shauna,

I have been gone 13 years this July. The major events in my life have been.

1. Having a 12 year relationship with my life partner Mitch (today March 22, is our anniversary, YAY.

2. Pursuing an enjoyable career in banking, although I really really want to study Math, which I just started doing.

3. Travelling all across North America. I have done 2 cross country car trips, one to Las Vegas and one to Montana.

4. Making lots of friends I would have never met as a witness.

hugs to all

Joel

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Interesting thread. Most of my undertakings have been rather boring...not at all indicative of the "evil, apostate lifestyle" that we are supposed to espouse...but fulfilling for me, nonetheless.

I started reading whatever books I found interesting...especially those by Anne Rice, and Stephen King, as well as books on various types of philosophy and spirituality.

I bought a horse, and I frequently go trail riding on Sundays rather than attending meetings and going out in service.

I took flute lessons.

I watch movies based on their storyline and content rather than on their rating.

I've taken the opportunity to explore various religious paths, and so far I have not been struck dead.

• unanswered
    unanswered

hi shauna-good question. i started surfing and snowboarding long before i left the WT, a little wakeboarding too. the water's nippy in the northwest:) the problem was, when i was in the org. i was always told i spent too much time in these activitys. the first thing i did after leaving was spend the time i had always wanted to seeking out my hobbies. i spent 6 weeks in baja after my first marriage ended and it was the best thing i ever did for myself. i realized that, as witness, i would have never been able to do that w/out a lot of negative feedback. since the time i left i have had most of the best experiences in my life, the best of which was meeting and falling in love w/rileygurl, another thing that probably never would have happened if i was a witness because she was not.

it's not so much that i couldn't do things in the org., it's that i didn't feel free to. now the freedom is wonderful, and i feel like i'm getting so,so much more out of life. thanks, shauna, i'm smiling now.-nate

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

A very HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you, JoelBear & Mitch!

Love is a wonderful thing in any form it comes in! You appreciate that so much more when the "conventional" love you expect to always have is gone.

I hope you have a wonderful celebration together!!! :)

Edited by - ShaunaC on 22 March 2001 14:53:27

• I quit!
    I quit!

I had already done most of the negative things before I became a jw so I didn't go overboard on that. I surf and skied while I was a jw but the nice thing was not having to get up a three in the morning to go surfing so I could go out in service on saturday morning. I did start reading books by Stephen KIing and other horror rights after I left. I always liked those things but as a dub it was looked down on. I guess the most important things I did once I left was buy a house and start saving for retirement.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

I put it into "chill mode".

• Carmel
    Carmel

I would have done a lot of things but life did not afford the opportunity. If you beleived the rumors after I left you'd think I owned a distillery, had a harem, invented tobbacco and generally led the world in behavior "unbecoming of a christian". But alas, my stint with smoking lasted about four months, married the same person I'd been dating in highschool and never likedb any booze. Life has been a great adventure, however. One forbidden fruit I did taste was politics. I became very active while majoring in Political Science in college, but found it to be too distasteful and concluded it would destroy my integrity as it seems to have most others that engage in the partisan arena.

Can't say too much about any "naughty" stuff! Don't want to give you the wrong impression. We "elders" have to talk the talk, you know!!

carmel

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I left the organization in 83. I was a deputy sheriff, which I dont think the organization would have approved of back in 82 they didnt want witnesses carrying guns. I read what I want. Anything that I find interesting. I've looked for truth all over. I've found no satisfying answers to the big questions of life, where we came from where were going. Is there a god or did we evolve. Or did we evolve as part as gods will. I play in a band and ride a harley. I dont think I've done anything to be disfellowshiped for. Probably lived a more honest decent life than some in the organization based on what I hear from family members telling me gossip about their witness friends. Life isnt that exciting outside of the watertower society. I just have more time to do what I want to do. And after all, it is my life not theirs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit