Warped....

by TheSurvivor 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheSurvivor
    TheSurvivor

I was born in the 50's and raised in the so called truth. I began to see the light the same year I got my concealed weapons permit. Imagine that, a witness packing heat. <G> That was in 1995. There is much to be seen when one opens their eyes. Only so much can be covered by saying "we are all imperfect, Jehovah will set things right." What a load. In some perverted ways it is almost funny to see an Elder giving a public talk one sunday, and then see him out at a wild night club the next week. Or watch as an Elder drinks to much and makes a pass at another sister. Or know that a "brother" just three years ago took a 14 year old to bed when he was over 21, and now is a ministerial servant. (When he should be in jail.) Or have an Elder ask your oldest son if he is taking drugs....just because he had allergies. Or to hear them lie to your face and others, and assasinate your reputation. I could go on and on, as my family and I have been hurt in many other ways. But living a double life is hard to break. My mentality is that there are spies everywhere. For all I know, these boards are trolled by the Elders looking for people like me. (By the way, if you are an Elder, eat crap and die, pond scum.) I could be much more specific, and tell stories that you might not believe, (yeah, you probably would believe them) but it would tend to mark me as the person in the know on these things, and if there are spies among us, it could make my life a living hell. (more than it is now.)

But I would like to ask this.....does growing up a JW, and then seeing the light, tend to make you wonder if there is a God? I was thinking the other day how nice it must be to have a faith. Right now, all I see is blackness if I die. I have bought a King James version of the bible that I now read. It is nice to read a bible without the JW spin on it. I had never before read anything but the New World Translation.

When I got into my 40's I finally began to grow up. I now have a huge library on subjects from Sun Tzu The Art Of War, to books on firearms, the stock market, politics, the economy and a LOT in between. I do not see a bright future for this country, and I'm doing what I can to prepare for the unknown. I figure I'm only 40 years or so behind in my learning thanks to the Borg. The "woulda coulda shoulda's tend to drive me nuts. Since I was five I can rememeber always being told that the "end" was just around the conner. Or that I would never have to do this or that, or worry about most things, because the "end" would be here soon. Or why would I want to have any friends in "the world" because they will be dead soon anyway. It is a wonder I can read, or have any social skills at all, with the word "warped" coming to mind. As it is, I can count my friends on one hand. But they are very good friends....better than any I ever had at the hall.

TheSurvivor

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Welcome to the forum TS.

• larc
    larc

Welcome, your name fits you. Yes you are a survivor, and no I don't think you are warped, just trying to figure it all out like the rest of us.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Survivor

I grew up in the Troof, and left of my own free will in my mid 30's. And yeh, I couldn't give a rats arse about God now......if one does exist then he is a complete despot and wanker in my opinion.....

I would NEVER join any religion now......

Pope

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl
    does growing up a JW, and then seeing the light, tend to make you wonder if there is a God?

For me, yes. I suppose I could be called an agnostic now.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Survivor,

Welcome to the board! What you said rings so true about the duplicity, deceit and suspiciousness of the elders in general. And also about being told 'put everything off' because the end is around the corner. I remember thinking it was just months away.

Well now is the time for us who grew up in the Borg but finally came out of it to make up for the lost time, best as we can, and enjoy the freedom to be who really are (instead of trying to please the right men).

Look forward to more of your posts.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi and welcome to the board.

• ugg
    ugg

welcome to the board,,,,it is nice to meet you....

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

TheSurvivor,

Getting it out in the open, speaking freely among those who's hearts truly understand your dilema, will bring you comfort.

Faith is so allusive. What I looked for most was joy and happiness. For all my life, I'd had NONE. When I found the joy and happiness, it was because my soul had been set free to discover true spirituallity, which has nothing to do with religion.

Everyone has to make their own journey through all the crap and "mindbending" as I call it. Living a double life nearly killed me. You will know when the time is right. Go with your heart, which is guided by "gut instinct".

I too, gathered bibles and reference material all around me to help me see once and forever just how wrong the JW doctrines are. The release from that bondage gave me new hope and peace. I have read the Lost Books of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and am currently trying to grasp the Koran and the Morman book, just for reference. I believe that this knowledge will help me to understand fully the grasp that "concepts" have on various societies, and why they behave the way they do.

As far as wondering if there is a god. Well, for me there is no Jehovah. That is truly not even his name, and I'm certain that if he cared at all, he/she would be highly affended. The correct name is Yahweh. Even JW's admit that, but chose to translate as they please. Maybe Yahweh was given a special privilege to oversee the establishment of life on this planet, and that this "identity" is just one of many, whom roam the vast universe, experimenting or whatever. I don't believe that a god such as we were presented with exists. I believe the true creator(s) are so far above "needing anything from mere humans". But, I do believe there are higher sources in the universe. The problem being that apparently they operate on a level that we cannot even fathom. Religion does not change that. Even when I was an active JW, I never felt close to "Jehovah". I never felt like he heard my prayers or answered them for that matter. In those days, even though I "thought" I was a good person, I felt so guilty and unworthy, and that perhaps I wasn't good enough for "this" god.

Now, I realize that we are trying to grasp things which we as mere human beings have as of yet been unable to truly understand. That is why there are so many concepts of "christianity", and why there are other abstract beliefs throughout the entire world.

You are on the right road now. I will not say it will be painless. You are a very level headed person, and just have to do what you deem is the right thing to do.

You have a very big (((((hug))))) from me. You will survive this. You have my support.

Love and Light,

Sentinel/Karen

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hello and welcome to the board.

I too was raised in the Troof. My Dad is almost 80 and is still an elder, my Mom is still and always will be an International Bible Student (AKA Russelite). My wife Tinkerbell and I DA'ed in 1999. We share in your disgust of the WTS.

Look forward to reading more of your posts.

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit