Who were the Sadducees and the Pharisees?? Are there similarities between them and JW's??

by confuzzlediam 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

I don't know much about the Sadducees. But boy are the Pharisees similar to the JWs!

One of the core tenets of Watchtower theology is being separate from the world. While the bible tells christians to be no part of the world, the JWs take this to extreme levels applying it even to trivial matters. They seem to think being different in and of itself is a virtue rather than being different only to the end of not following what is wrong in the world. The JWs' legalistic and obsessive need to be separate from the world and especially christendom brings me to this striking similarity with the pharisees - the name pharisee means separated ones!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sadducees were uber-conservative, and Pharisees were legalistic and authoritarian.

Jesus was their main opponent.

Therefore Jesus was anti-conservative, anti-legalist, and anti-authoritarian.

x

Suck it, right-wing assholes!

• coalize
    coalize
    Jesus was an anarchist!
  • TD
    TD

I got tired of the endless barrage of ignorance on this subject and typed out a response a few years ago:

Jesus, Pharisees and Jehovah's Witnesses

It still amazes me that xJW's eventually realize that almost everything the JW's taught them was garbage except when it comes to this one subject.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Thanks TD for the info.

I posted something along these lines in this thread yesterday but it got overlooked. I left the JWs and reverted to Judaism, and I can attest that people of so-called "Bible-only" movements like the JWs will never go to the source and just ask a Jew.

Of course who are we Jews to know anything about the Pharisees or our own culture or its sacred texts, right?

• megaboy
    megaboy

I find this really interesting, to actually give an accurate answer it's best to read some historic texts, if I had time I would also give some more sources because I really urge people to do deep research. The Sauducees were a smaller sect of Israelite (mostly from southern tribes) who were basically modern day thinkers, no spirits, no demons or anything like that. If push came to shove they would sometimes cloak under the Pharisees doctrine to get authority.

"But the doctrine of the Sadducees is this, That souls die with the bodies; nor do they regard the observation of any thing besides what the law enjoins them; for they think it an instance of virtue to dispute with those teachers of philosophy whom they frequent; but this doctrine is received but by a few, yet by those still of the greatest dignity. But they are able to do almost nothing of themselves; for when they become magistrates, as they are unwillingly and by force sometimes obliged to be, they addict themselves to the notions of the Pharisees, because the multitude would not otherwise bear them."

There were also a very small group of people call the Essens, mostly elders. Pretty much to give a general basic description, they were fine tuned in the scripts and the prophets and were applying some of the things before the Son of Man appeared on the scene, they pretty much just needed him to perfect their sect. There is no written insight of how they interacted with him or his followers from what I know. I'm of the opinion that it was originally difficult for the average person to tell the difference between the Essenes and followers of the Son.

"The doctrine of the Essens is this, That all things are best ascribed to God. They teach the immortality of souls, and esteem that the rewards of righteousness, are to be earnestly striven for; and when they send what they have dedicated to God into the temple, they do not offer sacrifices because they have more pure lustrations of their own; on which account they are excluded from the common court of the temple, but offer their sacrifices themselves; yet is their course of life better than that of other men; and they entirely addict themselves to husbandry. It also deserves our admiration, how much they exceed all other men that addict themselves to virtue, and this in righteousness; and indeed to such a degree, that as it hath never appeared among any other men, neither Greeks nor barbarians, no not for a little time, so hath it endured a long while among them. This is demonstrated by that institution of theirs, which will not suffer any thing to hinder them from having all things in common; so that a rich man enjoys no more of his own wealth than he who hath nothing at all. There are about four thousand men that live in this way; and neither marry wives, nor are desirous to keep servants; as thinking the latter tempts men to be unjust, and the former gives the handle to domestic quarrels; but, as they live by themselves, they minister one to another. They also appoint certain stewards to receive the incomes of their revenues, and of the fruits of the ground; such as are good men, and priests, who are to get their corn and their food ready for them. They none of them differ from others of the Essens in their way of living, but do the most resemble those Dacæ, who are called Polistæ."

Here is the description from Josephus on Pharisees -

"Now for the Pharisees, they live meanly, and despise delicacies in diet; and they follow the contract of reason; and what that prescribes to them as good for them, they do; and they think they ought earnestly to strive to observe reason’s dictates for practice. They also pay a respect to such as are in years; nor are they so bold as to contradict them in any thing which they have introduced; and, when they determine that all things are done by fate, they do not take away the freedom from men of acting as they think fit; since their notion is, that it hath pleased God to make a temperament, whereby what he wills is done, but so that the will of man can act virtuously or viciously. They also believe, that souls have an immortal vigour in them, and that under the earth there will be rewards or punishments, according as they have lived virtuously or viciously in this life; and the latter are to be detained in an everlasting prison, but that the former shall have power to revive and live again: on account of which doctrines they are able greatly to persuade the body of the people: and whatsoever they do about divine worship, prayers, and sacrifices, they perform them according to their direction; insomuch that the cities give great attestations to them on account of their entire virtuous conduct, both in the actions of their lives, and their discourses also."

Pharisees were mostly political/religious figures and "Torah Police", sometimes carrying around mini law scrolls to read out the law people were breaking and making a big show out of it.

Although not really clarified in modern theology (for many reasons I have no time to highlight here) there were many Edomites mixed in here. When Herod took over governing the kingdom, he slowly split up the political and religious aspects of the nation, most of Judah moved into the religious area, allowing him to flood in unchecked amounts of his own people (Edomites) into the more influential positions in BOTH sections of governance. You could tell that the spirit of God was no longer in their presence and they were just going through the motions at that point. Other nations were supposed to drop dead immediately on entering the temple, but at this point it was getting RUN by them, but the natural children on Israel didn't care about anything but the 1-hour of fame they got working in the system that was set up, "spiritually dead" was definitely a good description of them back then.

During Antiochus Epiphanes destruction many of the natural elders were killed and replaced with Edomites already and Gentiles were already teaching and being taught the law of Moses to a degree. This is why you see strange things in the scriptures like them saying that they were not slaves in Egypt but were children of Abraham. Many of the Israelis (especially those in theologian authority) today are from this line which is why now you are seeing them bring up the legitimacy of the Exodus ever really happened among other things like articles on them creating fake artifacts popping up etc.

Pretty much all man-made religions have some kind of similarities, one thing I find odd about the Witnesses though is that they really have found an odd mechanic to really prevent naturally going down or I guess having a resistance to it. Because they use their followers to give back the money they use to expand they can't really die off like a botched religion is suppose to naturally. Because many people are tied to the religion by family or something of importance they can't just say "I'm done." I'm assuming most people just fade out when they should probably make leave making a reasonable statement, revealing the reason for everyone to review and consider. A lot of the richer people will probably need to go too. I don't pay too much attention to their activities so I don't know how well they are doing financially and how many people they have, or if they are losing people. To be honest the business structure ad how the head was set up seems like they actually knew the religion was a shame and were putting a measure in place to survive for long periods of time despite all odds.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Thanks for your insights too, Megaboy.

There are some errors however in your conclusions and your presentation because the Diaspora aspect of Judaism is not touched upon, and some of the data is still based on Watchtower theology.

The idea that the Jews denied being slaves in Egypt is a Christian misinterpretation based on a reading from the Gospel of John. Jews declare weekly in Shabbat rituals and yearly Passover Seders that they were slaves in Egypt. The ancient prayers of the liturgy in Haggadahs and ancient siddur Shabbat observances are still uttered today with the words: "Remember that you were once slaves in Egypt." In a few hours I will be saying these very words, in fact as Shabbat is about to begin.

Also many Jews of the Diaspora never returned to Jerusalem after the Babylonian deportation. My ancestors from the tribe of Judah and Benjamin stayed in what is now known as Spain until the Alhambra decree of 1492 expelled all Jews due to the Spanish Inquisition. There were Jews in other parts of the world too, like Egypt where the Alexandrian Septuagint was created. DNA research over the past 7 years has verified the lineage of "hidden" Sephardic Jews, uncovered the reason for Ashkenazi traits, and verified the Cohen priestly line. Some of the claims are as TD pointed out, just anti-Semitism promoted by Christians and others as doctrine and "truth."

Many are unaware of these recent discoveries in history, archeology, and DNA research that have been inspired mostly by the recent Right of Return laws enacted by Spain and Portugal for descendents of expelled Jews of 1492. Hopefully people will do the research themselves based on these late findings and discover how wrong their view of the Pharisees and Jews in general really are.

• megaboy
    megaboy

Although this is getting a bit off the rails and I'd rather keep it on JWs I will respond to the post concerning my comments out of courtesy as I was addressed of it.

The interesting thing is that although it's really improbable to be able to trace to a specific lineage of one man who's DNA is not available, I never said the people would not register as a Semitic people. I said that they were Edomites which would still "appear" to be Jews based on their similarities in family lineage, my claim was that they are not from Jacob. Though they were enslaved a lot too due to not having any real organizational kingdom, being nomads, they would typically chameleon into established nations and in some cases overthrow them which is how some of them got into the governmental authority at the time according to Josephus.

As far as how Herod took over -

"But there was a certain friend of Hyrcanus, an Idumean, called Antipater, who was very rich, and in
    his nature an active and a seditious man; who was at enmity with Aristobulus, and had differences with
    him on account of his good-will to Hyrcanus. It is true that Nicolatls of Damascus says, that Antipater
    was of the stock of the principal Jews who came out of Babylon into Judea; but that assertion of his was
    to gratify Herod, who was his son, and who, by certain revolutions of fortune, came afterward to be king
    of the Jews, whose history we shall give you in its proper place hereafter."

Basically Josephus is saying here that Nicholas of Damascus the "historian" of that time were basically just lying to benefit the Herodian dynasty plan, but since he was an "authoritative" figure of the time, people just took his word for it. Similar to today with some of these cartoon show historians. Things never really change. As the seasons cycle so do the courses of the history of man.

This is also probably why the more recent leaders chose the word "anti-Semitic" even though it makes no sense to use it and covers too many national families, many Arabs for example would be considered "anti-Semetic, but they come from Shem, as well as East Indian families. "Anti-Jacob" would be a more accurate term, but I'm assuming whomever constructed the idea of that term probably knew they didn't come from Jacob, but using Esau or Edom would immediately discredit them, though I think there was an announcement made by a Jewish man saying that they are Edomites, but because there was no internet when he said that and churches even today never really deal with Edom in any great detail, that comment probably didn't register at all with the masses.

Ah I have the quote -

“No one can deny that the Jews are a most unique and unusual people. That uniqueness exists because of their Edomite heritage. You cannot be English Jews. We are a race, and only as a race can we perpetuate. Our mentality is of Edomitish character, and differs from that of an Englishman. Enough subterfuges! Let us assert openly that we are International Jews.”—Manifesto of the “World Jewish Federation,” January 1, 1935, through its spokesperson, Gerald Soman.

Of course for anyone with common sense, to claim Edomitish heritage means that you denounce any lineage to the 12 tribes of Israel.

I also find it interesting that one of the latest DNA researchers they are trying to take down, Dr. Eran Elhaik, did genetic research on the Isreali Jew DNA and bones of Jerusalem ancient burials, the bones were not a perfect match in terms of DNA but they (the Iseali Jews) did match with Roman bones. I don't believe he will ever publicly publish this information though, he'd be good as dead I'm sure.

(Oh wow, as I was going back to check references and I found something new. In that in some of the Arab Islamic religious and historical texts they even blatantly state that the Romans came from Edom, it actually seems impossible for them to separate the description red and Romans).

Romans also seem to have been identified as descendants of Edom during the Roman empire by some of the Israelites. Today many Isreali Jews attempt to explain away the connection by stating it was a "code-name" but this makes no sense because according to Josephus there was a country of Idumea filled with the poorer class of Edomites. Using it as a code name would not make sense if there was an existing country of them and they were most likely referring to the ruling class of the Roman empire, as Rome was a "borg" term much like American is. I have a book on this were it mentions it not being an actual code-name, but I never just have these things right in front of me and it usually takes me hours to type messages if I grab all my materials.

The online jewish-encyclopedia also does not handle the description of Edom very honestly, actually blatantly lying towards the end of the excerpt. If you look it up online, within a Josephus reference of 20,000 soldiers helping Judah in the Roman war (not accurate in this context), they slip a false statement about Edom merging with Judah and dissolving and being unidentifiable today, but if you read the chapters of Josephus that the encyclopedia references there is not even one mention of this statement or any support of it at all, as mentioned before the events mentioned are also taken out of context in the encyclopedia. The average person will probably not have a Josephus on them, or actually spend the time reading the whole thing like I have, which makes me feel a bit pathetic actually haha. I can only theorize that they are banking on people taking their word for it like many other things I've found out by going back into history of what has been said. I think there are about two or three "official" claims to Edom just vanishing, none of them even being minimal satisfactory explanations.

I think we're going to be seeing this Edom thing pop up more and more as time goes on and things get even more crazy in the current world situation.

This part of my post did not seem to get placed in the original message I posted so I'll add this in the end here -

As for the Witnesses, I wouldn't particularly say they are exactly the same as Pharisees, many of the so-called "Christians" were also accused of being "better than everyone else" from the sources I read of Israelites that only believed the Torah and they were also bashed in 1st century Gentile critique writings for not following any of the state holidays. So the authentic followers were definitely hated on both sides.

• Lieu
    Lieu

And lest we not forget that the Pharisees ran schools. ie Rabbi, or teacher. Saul/Paul studied under the most famous of all, even to this day. (Big on the Talmud/ oral traditions.) So many rules, ridiculous rules to the point they placed a heavy burden on the people and made the Torah worthless.

WTBTS is similar. There are sufficient rules in the Bible that no one needs their added shit. GB personal likes and dislikes should be their own private problem.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    Thanks for the interesting historic backgrounds, which help waking up from a "literal" Bible understanding. Sad history of misunderstanding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit