has anyone learned speedreading?

by DanTheMan 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Before I joined JW's, I used to like to read, but during my 10 year stint in the borg I read almost no books at all (except the company-sanctioned reading, which lulls the reader into a mental stupor), save the occasional Grisham novel or something fairly light like that. I couldn't take anything that was too heavy or thought provoking, as it would create too much cognitive dissonance in my black/white JW mind.

I was just reading some "favorite book" threads, and I realize that there are literally hundreds of books that I would like to read. However, I find that I am not a very speedy reader, and I also have difficulty concentrating, which results in my often having to re-read passages in order to get the author's point.

Has anybody learned speed reading? Back in the 70's, there was a show in the U.S. called "That's Incredible!". They showed this guy who would read a page a second it seemed like. I remember thinking that there is just no way you can read that quickly, that it was just a trick. Is speedreading for real? I'd like to hear some personal experiences.

Thanks!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes, it's for real, alright!

Back in the days when I needed to read much more, I learned to read a page at a time. You do it by running your eyes down the centre of each page, not allowing them to read across the page, line by line. This saves a great deal of time. The eyes aren't travelling from side to side, but straight down.

To really discipline yourself, the experts recommend you train your eyes to follow your finger which you moved slowly down the page.

Of course, it could be said that all reading of The Watchtower can be done with speedreading!

Cheers, Ozzie

• LB
    LB

Yes I have learned speedrearing myself as all my children were raised quickly. I can also read fast.

• Angharad
    Angharad

hang on HANG ON ... you're typing too fast !!!

Yes, I remember reading a book on this and did get quite good at it. I go through a lot of books so it's handy to be able to read quickly.

One interesting thing is that contrary to popular opinion, you actually read and take in more than if you read it slowly.

(BTW: This is Simon ... didn't notice Angharad had logged in!)

Edited by - angharad on 31 August 2002 16:30:42

• rob
    rob

I was the product of a unique experimental reading program when I was in middle school during the 1970's. I love to read and still read much faster than many folks. I have married a bookstore owner and am in total book heaven!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit