Carbon-14 Dating

by Amazing 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi VM: I am at my office right now, and do not have access to the Watch Tower's Creation book or AlanF's evolution material. It may be on one of the sites where he posted an article. When I find it I will post it to you in a new thread.

I do recall that the Society made quotes from Popular Scince magazine which is not considered a credible source by the scientific community. The fictional work was not a Popular Science article, but rather a science fiction story that was not trying to disprove evolution, but was just a story. The Society quoted from it as a credible source, which Alan F showed me is not a good source.

I will take a few minutes to check some sites where Alan posted articles and essays and see if he made reference to it, and that way I can respond back to you more quickly. Thanks. - Amazing

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks Amazaing, it will be an interesting reference.

btw, Did you ever find the article you were looking for in the
    original post to this thread?

--VM44

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi VM: I stated above to you a slight error, resulting from an old memory. I noted

", but rather a science fiction story that was not trying to disprove evolution, but was just a story."

The reference I was talking about was not a si-fi story, but was from a TV Tabloid writer and paranormalist who attempted to deal with evolution, and as such, is he still not a credible source. Here is the actual introductory material from 2 Parts by AlanF and his citing the source I had in mind:

The following is the introduction taken from Part 1 of Alan F's essay, "Notes on Francis Hitching and the Watchtower Society > http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/yec1.htm

"The Watchtower Society has often quoted from young-earth creationists and assorted cranks. This is certainly true in the Creation book, which relies heavily on their arguments as well as those of Francis Hitching — which are largely borrowed from them anyway. The problem is that most of the time the Society fails to inform the reader of the background of these people, so that he or she is not given critical information to help evaluate the worthiness of the supposed authority being quoted. This is clearly seen in the case of Francis Hitching, who is a paranormalist and tabloid TV writer. Quoting him as an evolutionary authority has no more significance than quoting Bozo the Clown."

The following is the introduction taken from Part 2 of Alan F's essay, "Notes on Francis Hitching and the Watchtower Society" > http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/yec2.htm

"As we have seen, the author of the Creation book borrowed much material from The Neck of the Giraffe. This includes the entire discussion on Archaeopteryx on page 80. He also borrowed much from young-earth creationists. It is easy to tell, because the errors in logic or the presentation of data are the same. For example, on the question of rich Precambrian fossiliferous deposits, on page 27 of his book Hitching quotes three scientists, from material published prior to 1961, as saying that there are none. Creation makes the same error on pages 59-63. On the question of mammalian jawbone and earbone evolution discussed on pages 80-81, Creation's argument is nearly the same as Hitching's, which is nearly the same as creationist author Duane Gish's in Evolution? The Fossils Say No! All err in being ignorant of the fossil evidence.

Hope the above is helpful. If you want to read other additional essay material on evolution by AlanF or other topics by he and other contributors, you can go to the main site at: http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

Amazing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit