Why using Jehovah for God's name is as good as using Yahweh

by oppostate 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate

In another thread I wrote some notes about why using Jehovah in English is as good as using Yahweh. I'm starting a discussion on this topic because it sounds quite ignorant to hear people talk of the monk who started using it in Latin without really understanding why the monk did so.

The Spanish Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270, didn't get hoodwinked by an old Jewish superstition about pronouncing the Divine Name with the vowel points of another word.

1. First the vowel points of ADONAY and JEHOVAH cannot be the same for grammatical reasons. You just can't use the same vowel points because some vowels aren't paired with some consonants in pronouncing Hebrew words. Go ahead and check if you don't believe this. The vowel points aren't the same. So to continue this charade is as stupid as it used to be taught that ALEPH and AYIN were silent letters--they are not and they are both pronounced in Ancient Hebrew like they are even sounded out in modern ARABIC.

2. Jehovah is as good a name for God in English, as Jesus (DJEE-zuhz) is for Christ. Yahweh may be as good as Yeshua in pronouncing those names. We got Jesus from Latin IESUS, which came from IESOUS in Greek meaning Jesus or Joshua. That's right Jesus and Joshua come from the same IESOUS in Greek from the original Hebrew YE-HO-SHU-A.

3. If you're going to say Yahweh, you might as well say Yeshua, or Yirmiyahu (for Jeremiah) or Yeshayahu (for Issaiah), and this would probably peg you as a Sacred Names Movement follower not a Jehovah's Witness. In Arabic, by the way, Jesus is Isa (EE-sah) and Yahweh is (YAH-HOO-AH-HH).

4. If in Spanish you spell out Jesus like in English, but pronounce it "HEY-soos" it goes to show you how silly it sounds to insist on DJEE-zuhz but then avoid Jehovah and insist on using Yahweh instead. They are merely two different traditions, one is an English Biblical names' tradition, the other is a modern scholarly tradition.

This may be news to all who disagree with this and insist on Yahweh. But...

5. In Hebrew it would never be pronounced like YA (as in yacht) with the second syllable WAY. In Biblical Hebrew the H was always pronounced, and that's why it was written. So if you don't aspirate both of the H's then you're not even close to how it may have been pronounced back then.

6. Josephus makes the point that it is pronounced as it is written. So look at how Judah (with Hebrew letters corresponding to YHWDH) and pronounced YEH-HOO-DAHH, compares to Jehovah (YHWH). The D is the only difference. So if it was read as written just take out the D in YEH-HOO-DAHH and you're left with YEH-HOO-AHH.

7. Also rather than continue the misinformation that Jehovah is just a mix of YHWH and the vowels of ADONAY or ELOHIM, it would be good to realize the actual vowel points in many manuscripts don't match those but rather the vowel points of SHEMA (Aramaic for HA-SHEM in Hebrew) which was often substituted instead of pronouncing the Divine Name. Why? Because the vowel point for the O sound (the upper dot vowel) isn't included in many of these vowel pointed instances of YHWH. So the consonants with YHWH and the vowels for SHEMA add up to YEHWAH (pronounced YEH-HOO-AHH).

8. Since Jehovah comes from Latin IEHOVAH, (the V in Latin was like a W) and IEHOVAH is a translitteration (alphabetic substitution) for YEH-HOO-AHH then there's nothing wrong with using Jehovah and anyone who tells you different is just not well informed about the entire history and pronunciation of the Divine Name. To continue using the often repeated false assertion that Jehovah is inaccurate because of YHWH using vowel points of ADONAY and that the Catholic monk made a mistake is just propagating a tradition based on lack of appropriate research.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"Why using jehovah for gods name is as good as using yahweh"

because they are both irrelevant monikers for an acient bronze age goat herder god. Call it whatever you want, it dosent exist and therefore dosent care.

• oppostate
    oppostate

@_Morpheus

Regardless of how you view God and His existence, many here make reference to the Catholic monk as if he'd been an idiot who didn't know any better theologically. That viewpoint is not entirely correct and I make the point that he knew what he was doing in transliterating the personal name of the Judeo-Christian Deity in the Old Testament.

And regarding the title of this thread, notice that it's not a question, silly. It's a statement.

Your answer exemplifies a tender mind, unconcerned by issues that you don't care to consider.

If you think this thread irrelevant then don't take the trouble to post in it.

My concern is that those who merely repeat an assertion based on ignorance of the facts reflect a bad light on WT dissenters. If you make two points and one of them is wrong, there's less likelihood that the factually correct point will be doubted.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

What _Morpheus said...

Or maybe I would say this, Jehovah as good as using yahweh... or... zeus... thor... superman...

So I have questions, who was the first person to record the name of God as 'Jehovah'?

Is the name 'Jehovah' or 'Iehovah' an invention or not?

I have read that the samaritan pronunciation eludes to Yahweh being most accurate, using the vowels from their pronunciation 'Jabe' A E.

Maybe we should ask Jay Z and Kanye since they are the new J-Hova, and Yeezus. FML

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

You know freemind, i used to like you.... However if you keep putting Thor on the same level as the desert god im goimg to have to reevaluate my opinion of you. To review: there is zero evidence to support the existence of the desert god. We acrually see lightning and thunder, thus supporting Thor's existence. Its really not hard

"Maybe we should ask Jay Z and Kanye since they are the new J-Ho"

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

oppostate.... lets review.......... it's a mindcontrolling CULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you could refute this, than do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

@ _Morpheus but who made the desert???

mind blown lol

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Now your just being silly
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    I have read that the samaritan pronunciation eludes to Yahweh being most accurate, using the vowels from their pronunciation 'Jabe' A E.

The Samaritans had a temple on Mt. Gerizim and claimed, and still do claim, they follow the God of the Israelites as found in the Torah. Unfortunately the temple was conquered and dedicated to the Greek Zeus.

Jupiter (Deus Pater) is the Latin for Zeus. Jupiter's more ancient name in Latin is Jove. And... Jove was pronounced back then in Latin as JAW-WAY. When the Romans took control of Jerusalem a temple to Zeus Olympus was dedicated on the temple mount.

It is very typical of Latin names to transliterate Hebrew masculine names ending in AH as AY, for example Josue is Latin for Yehoshua (our English Joshua).

If Josue is from Yehoshua, you can see how Jove is from Yehowah.

The name Jehovah is no more an invention than Jehoshua, Jehoshaphat, Jehoadah, Jehoaddan, Jehoahaz, Jehoash, Jehohanan, Jehoiada, Jehoiakim, Jehoiarib, Jehonadab, Jehonathan, Jehoram, Jehosheba, Jehozabad, Jehozadak, or for that matter, Jehu, Jehubbah, Jehucal, Jehud, Jehudi, Jehudijah, Jehush, not to mention the names that end in -jah from -yahu.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

So.. basically, Al Pacino in "Scent of A Woman" was pronouncing God's name all alongπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜€πŸ˜Œ

YeH?

Hoo- Ahhh!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit