• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Cool letter Scully....all i can say is

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Beck

• Farkel
    Farkel

Scully,

Out of the dozens and dozens of resolutions passed in the Congregations I attended, I never saw even ONE fail. In fact, I never saw anyone vote "No."

Ever see anyone at an assembly vote "no" on the society's usual resolutions which condemns religion, politics, and everyone else who disagrees with them? I never did.

If these men speak for GOD, then why vote on what they propose?

Farkel

• Quotes
    Quotes

Very cool letter, Scully! You kicked elder ass then, and you are still kicking elder ass now!

All I can say is "I'm glad you're on our side"

• Scully
    Scully

Larry:
    You have mail.

Love, Scully

• Scully
    Scully

Jim:
    >>> What really sucks is after its all said and done who really owns the Hall!<<<

This is too true! I think that's also one of the reasons this proposal was so strongly opposed: it was just around the time that the WTS started "encouraging" congregations to build new halls with the "Quick Build" program. However, this KH was over 20 yrs old, and the congregation owned the property outright. We found out LATER that the "anointed"

We also later found out that this elder just "happened" to be in charge of the KH accounts. And there were repeated announcements to the effect that contributions were not coming in as necessary to cover the payments on the loan. (Which I pointed out might be the result of this fiasco.... but what do I know??) I used to be quite friendly with the sister who was married to this elder.... they had a retail business together that was NOT doing very well, yet they somehow managed to take trips to Barbados and across the country, in addition to buying a new Cadillac (which they let the CO use whenever he visited the congregation)... and, as I mentioned, they picked up and moved to British Columbia a few years later, while the congregation was still paying off the loan to the WTS, on top of the "rent" payment to the WTS for "dedicating" the KH to "Jehovah"/aka the WTS.

A lot of older KH's that were owned outright by the congregations were duped like this - to either build new KHs and financing the building initially by selling property the congregations OWNED or take on costly renovations (usually under pressure from the CO), and then have the property "donated" to the WTS.

The congregations will have to pay "rent" to Mother in perpetuity, and never own what they themselves built and pay for.

What a freaking racket.

Love, Scully

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Scully,

I don't recall the exact words, but there is a saying [any thoughts recently on Favorite Sayings?!] that if mothers were generals, there would be no wars. If the Society would use the wisdom of "mothers," or women period, per Lillian Cruz's excellent article on early Christian women's works, I honestly feel that things at the KH would go much smoother and there'd be no wastefulness. They'd probably have to chuck a bunch of the Pauline Misogynic Clap-Trap, however (is it all right to disagree with the Eminent Apostle to the Nations?).

Great use of the typewriter, Scully! Oh, a favorite saying popped into my head; you may alter it to suit your current purposes:

'English mettle proved itself superior to Spanish metal.'

The above quotation (not verbatim, but close) is in reference to whatever war it was - I lose track - between England and Spain. Well, Scully, your "mettle" is, ironically, a sharp and shining two-edged sword! The felicity of the English language!

CoCo unConquered!

• Odrade
    Odrade

Nice "bump." I hadn't seen this before. Too bad more people don't object to these practices, instead letting themselves be bullied and duped into the Society's best interests, rather than the best interests of the "flock."

• Honesty
    Honesty

Great Letter, scully!!!

Out of the dozens and dozens of resolutions passed in the Congregations I attended, I never saw even ONE fail. In fact, I never saw anyone vote "No." Farkel

I voted "NO" on a kingdom hall expansion project, stood up and told the congregation that the elders had discussed whether it should have been built larger BEFORE it was built 5 years earlier due to the constant influx of out-of-state JW's who included the Watchtower Study in their vacation plans. Unfortunately, the brothers with insight to forsee the need for a larger hall were voted down by the other brothers.

That week, I was called on by two brothers who informed me that the KH meetings were not the time nor the place for these issues to be addressed.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Sooo you where one of Those sisters!!! hahahah

Was there ever really any doubt??

Odrade wrote: Nice "bump." I hadn't seen this before.

Oh, my!! I didn't even realize that is thread is over 4 years old. Scully was just 1500 posts into the forum back then and not even on for a year.

Agreed. Nice "bump".

-Aude.

• Confession
    Confession

Agreed! Excellent letter. I loved the WT references you included--especially one from the Youth book. LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit