My Mom Won't Shun Me!

by voltaire 7 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

I feel a little guilty about this, because I know that so many of you have lost contact with your families, but I thought you might find it interesting that my mother has told me, via my father, that she won't shun me even if I'm DF (which is a very real possibility). I'm not coming out unscathed (does anybody?) since my marriage is set to end in the next couple of weeks, but I'm so grateful that I'll still have my mom.

I told the elders that I didn't believe in the WT's teachings anymore and they told me I'd be DF. That was the last straw in a series of efforts at coming to some kind of agreement with my wife over a four year period. I've been living on my own for over six months and she'e been back with her folks in another state. Everyone back in my hometown thinks I'm DF, which is a little strange. The hardest part about the breakup and admitting to the elders that I didn't believe in it anymore was worrying what my mom would think. I'm a real momma's boy and she's the sweetest, gentlest soul you'd ever hope to meet. As the title of the thread suggests, she seems to not be able to shun me. My dad says that she commented to him that family comes first! He seems to be thinking something like, "Duh, of course family comes first", but I've had to explain to him that it was far from a foregone conclusion. So I'm batting .500, my mom's with me, my wife's gone. If I had to lose one, I'd have picked it this way, hope that doesn't sound too hard-hearted of me.

• Quotes
    Quotes

This is GREAT news. Count yourself lucky, others have not been so fortunate.

My mom is also not shunning me. She has also be very nice and non-shunning to other DF/DA'd people in the past. My mom is cool about it like yours. It is people like our mothers which make a strong case for "normalcy" within the JW religion. Too bad they are so few and far between.

Edited to add: I also lost my wife in the process of "Losing My Religion". It wasn't easy, but in retrospect it was the best thing that ever happened to me!

Edited by - Quotes on 29 August 2002 17:25:9

• stichione
    stichione

Good for you Voltaire. I would like to just walk away from this cult with my wife and three kids. But its not easy if you want to keep your family intact. My kids would be thrilled, its the wife which would need a little more convincing. The only thing holding us back is our family (parents, siblings, cousins) who are almost all Dubs since they wouldn't be allowed to say a greeting to us in the street, much less enjoy an evening together. I guess the best thing would be just to faaaaade away slowly!

• Mum
    Mum

I feel for all of the dubs who stay in when they desperately want out because of their family ties. It's a lot more difficult, I'm sure, when the whole family is in. We are blessed indeed who had a "pre-dub existence" and have something to go back to after we've learned by being burned in the pit of Hell known as the Watchtower.

• LB
    LB

Good for mom. Too bad all borg moms won't follow your mothers lead. Nothing like a mom that loves you.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

My mom is cold stone and so is the rest of my sisters and all their families. They have all turned to rocks.

How a religion that teaches love can make them become such cold chilling people is beyond the law of natural love. How can an individual disobey the law of natural love. I just don't understand. Well yes I can they are so brainwashed to believe that if you don't obey the rules of the governing bodies interpretation of scripture, your out on you ass. Mind you I would love to know what scripture they would found the word disfellowship in. Maybe they invent scriptures. I mean they make scriptures disappear.

I am very happy you have a mom who loves you so much that she is willing to obey the natural laws of love. Your one lucky son of a gun and I am jealous.

Quotes your lucky too, and I am not really jealous I was just kidding I am very happy for anyone who's family has more brains than you know who.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello Again Voltaire,

Im glad for you and for your mother that she will help preserve your family ties. Lets hope that she does not get into trouble with the local elders for maintaining a relationship with you.

Seems that your wife adds proof to the accusation that the WTS breaks up families.

The best to you,

Sam

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

You are so lucky to have a mom like that, one who sees through all the teachings, and is kind-hearted enough to believe that family comes first.I wish all mothers could be like that, I am happy for you.I personally as a mothe could never do that to my family (shun them) that is, it is just not in my nature no matter what I was taught.

Give her a big hug and kiss, she surely deserves one.

There is something terribly wrong when families are divided like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit