pissed off my wife today at the assembly..I asked her why the bozo GB member lett has a pinky ring.

by goingthruthemotions 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

(Matthew 10:34-37) . . . Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword. For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother . . .

I never understood this scripture. When, while on earth, did Jesus ever put a sword or a division between any family? He treated believers and non believers with respect and humility. Sure, he hated hypocritical Pharisees who should've known better. But I don't understand why the JW religion thinks that this scripture gives them permission to treat disfellowshipped ones like fecal matter, and disassociate those who don't see eye to eye with their interpretations of the bible.

Maybe Jesus was referring to the time when the Romans would attack Jerusalem. Those that wanted to stay would try to force family and friends to stay as well... maybe even using violence and the sword to keep people from leaving.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

would jesus wear a pinky?

That's actually a pretty good point.

(1 John 2:16) . . .the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. . .

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Sometimes the less said the better when talking to someone in cult mode.

I found that once I had my little say and then stopped talking, THEY brought the subject up and I let THEM do the talking.

Sometimes as they were defending their beliefs and I quietly listened and said nothing, you could see that they were realizing how ridiculous their arguments were.

If you let them know that you simply want to understand rather than to prove a point or be right, they let down their guard.

In the case of Lett's pinky ring you could have casually said, for example.

You: " Bro. Lett always looks sharp but I don't know.....something about him wearing a pinky ring, doesn't sit right with me"

Wife: How so?

You: " Well I'm probably not seeing things correctly or being overly critical but I suppose it's because I'm thinking about Jesus' message of modesty and humility and about all those in this audience and in audiences around the world who are living meager existences because they are putting kingdom interest first in their lives or because they live in impoverished lands. It seems like sometimes a pinky ring is something a person with excess in a material way, wears and it sort of sends the message that the wearer thinks pretty highly of himself or of his position in life." Or maybe it's just because I saw that video where they are encouraging little kids to put their pocket money in the contribution box rather than treat themselves to an ice cream and seeing him with a pinky ring makes me think he's not really sacrificing much himself.

Wife: "The Bible says noting about the wearing of pinky rings and besides, he's speaking to large crowds of people and needs to look his best and look like an authority figure"

You: (nodding in agreement) "Hmmm....yeah...I suppose I can see how that could be the case. He does need to look like someone who knows what he's talking about "

If you make sure to let them know that you are questioning your self rather than their beliefs and leave it at that, often they will feel like they've done their duty by defending their cult and will at the same time hear the holes in their own logic while doing so. Over time they'll begin to notice more and more of these holes and will begin to question things as they hear them on their own.

• carla
    carla
    Perhaps the pinky ring is stumbling you? he should take it off just like the brothers who can't have beards because it might stumble somebody, or the ladies who can't dress normally because it will stumble the the men who cannot seem to concentrate on the (supposed) word of God being said at the meetings.
  • startingover
  • millie210
    millie210

People get "pissed off" when they dont have a solution or an answer.

You are 100% correct goingthru...

just remember, you are out to win the war not the battle.

• steve2
    steve2
    I'm trying to visualize what it must be like to be married to someone who takes delight in mocking my beliefs. Reminds me of people who make a lifestyle out of teasing others and then act so surprised when their spouse has had enough. Regardless of beliefs, at a certain level you are disrespecting her big time. As for the pinky ring issue, your wife is right: It's judgmental. Of course, many here would agree with you - but we've come to that conclusion ourselves - someone else did not "joke" us into seeing the otherwisd good point you make.
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    In the late 90s/early 2000s, I wore a pinky ring and got a lot of shit for it at the hall.
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    nicolaou
    nicolaou 8 hours ago

Do you include this teaching of Christ Crazyguy?

(Matthew 10:34-37) . . . Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword. For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother . . .

Sounds pretty cultish and 'Watchtoweresque' wouldn't you say? Or how about this one?

I tend to believe this is speaking of the divisions caused by the controlling phrasiees that teach strict rules and shunning and disowning when not believing/doing all that they say. It is not the Christians doing the shunning, they are breaking away from the organization of the Pharasiees, etc. The consequences of breaking that organization's rules is what Jesus warned he was bringing. Jesus was bringing forth a new covenant to do away with the wrong, violent worshiping that was happening. The people that refused to accept him, and his word, were the ones shunning/going against their family that did accept and follow his word.

Christians accepted, they did not shun family.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I wouldn't be so hard on Goingthruthemotions. You can 'piss off' a JW by sharing the same air space. It takes very little to upset their 'faith'. They, on the other hand, have no qualms about saying JWdotORG org this and that and going on and on about how great the last talk was or whatever. IMO Goingthruthemotions is in a very frustrating place and I feel for him. JW'S all need to be verbally slapped around a bit any chance one gets they're all freakin' zombies.

Bad mood today I guess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit