Do JW still drink like a fish in small gathering??

by James Mixon 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

In the 60's and 70's when I became a mindless cult follower there

were gathering for the elite and they would get sh---t face, I mean down right

drunk. It was wild, we were new and a little surprised. For some reason I was brought

into the elite group from the start, my wife and I and all the elders. It was funny, Sunday

talk given by a Elder who two nights ago couldn't find the book of Genesis because he

was too drunk. But that was good times, a little hypocritical I may say but great times. LOL

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    Well James. Things change. There are some great prescription drugs now that come without the calories.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Humm, Jack Daniel's vs prescription drugs. One you have a hangover and

the other one may cause a person to be paranoid, some delusion, maybe go

off the deep in. I see, early leaders of the WT were alcoholics and a little nuts, but

the leaders of today and prescription drugs they are full blown nuts.

• notoneoftheboys
    notoneoftheboys
    This is still a problem and has escalated, I served on an elder body and it was a closed group. never any outsiders who could rat on the drunkenness they saw. no cameras or camcorders, booze was in abundance, fine wines, 20 year old scotch. elders and their wives could drink like fish. the rank and file have no idea. its a closed group old boy network. that's why elders families get slaps on the wrist for major wrongs because they are all culpable.
  • kaik
    kaik

My JW uncle was alcoholic. He was so many times drunk that it was embarrassing; and he usually crashed at my granny so my JW aunt would not know how wasted he was. My granny eventually refused to open the doors, so he sometimes went to our house and my dad let him sleep a bit on the couch to sober up. As the time progressed, my uncle drunk even more (late 1970's) and got violent to the point that he beat up my father who ended at emergency room to get stitches while neighbors called cops. Afterward, my father refused to open the door at night as he was afraid of the welfare of the kids and my mom. My uncle came drunk several times afterwards, banging on the doors, throwing rocks into the windows, until he passed out on the doorsteps. Last time I saw him 25 years ago, and I think he died from cirrhosis or something similar.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Now I see why JW's say they are the happiest people in the world, boozing

overeating and now drugs. Sounds like a fun place...

Witnesses have always been known for heavy drinkers, drink and be merry...

• done4good
    done4good

Yep, booze and prescription drugs are the accepted drugs of choice in JW land...I grew up in an alcoholic JW family myself, and definitely drank too much myself alongside many JW friends that did the same. I attribute the AD use mostly to the depressing lifestyle that ones leads as a JW. I was there, and quit those cold turkey when I left 10 years ago.

Of course not all JW were like this, but there seemed to be two extremes, those that drank heavily, and the teetotalers. Living and growing up on the east coast, I saw more of the former. I also lived in the Midwest during college, and much more of the latter was what was seen in public, (even weddings had no booze). I was a bit surprised at that, but the conservative culture there permeated everything, not only attitudes about drinking, but many other things we considered normal on the east coast as well. However, there were always smaller "private" groups that did whatever they wanted. You just had to be in the know.

These days a glass of wine or two or a hit of the MJ are enough to assuage any need to relax. Far more moderate and healthier since leaving JW.

d4g

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

The most amazing thing to watch here in the Pacific NW was how the elders and their wives were notorious drinkers.

I was the youngest member of the BOE. I had to continually explain to other publishers, including my mother (baptized in 1972) to ignore all the drunk elder's wives. Notorious drunks at get togethers, baby showers, weddings, etc.

It became a running joke about what drunks they all were.

• skepticSam
    skepticSam

Yes, we have elders pickling their livers to avoid thinking about their lot in life. If you were to see how much some can drink, they make Animal House, "The Hangover" look like rookies!

We have a local elder who was caught for shooting up heroine and kept these facts from the sheep, all kept hush-hush to avoid detection. JWs have no ideas their local leaders are not very stable inside, life is not easy!

Guess who gave a part on "Keeping your bodies clean before Jehovah" recently, strange group of hypocrites!

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    When my son was still in he told me his then P.O. "drank like it was his job". He would likely need to in order to forget that he and his former pioneer (succumbed to fibro myalgia) wife were shunning their two sons. It hurts to be in a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit