Favorite books

by StinkyPantz 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Dean Koontz--rarely can I say I was less than pleased with one of his.

Stephen King--The Talisman I don't know I could read again. The Stand--great! The Shining--been too long since I last read it. The Tommyknockers--I don't know if he intended for it to be funny but I had tears rolling down my face in places!

History's another interest of mine. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Masterson's The Double-Cross System (how England actually "ran" most of the spies Germany sent there during WWII).

Moby Dick would've been okay, but Melville kept interrupting the chase for a chapter-long aside on some aspect of whaling every so often.

2001: A Space Oddyssey I've read several times. Made me rethink some ideas I'd blindly bought into re ETI.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Have you tried Alfred Hitchcock or Edgar Allen Poe?Both have some interesting yarns to spin.I was reading a book about raven behavior at McDonald's this week,and one of the employees kept sweeping closer and closer to my table trying to read my book title. He finally worked up the nerve to ask me if I was reading Poe, as he loves him.I told him no, but that I had read pretty much everything he wrote in the past(loved "The Tell-Tale Heart and "Fall of the House of Usher" and of course, the poem "The Raven").My grandfather gave me a book of Alfred Hitchcock stories when I was about 10.Alas, I lost it years ago:(

I also like Micheal Crichton and love Stephen King(but man, his books sure don't translate to the screen-I about died laughing watching "Tommyknockers").I read a really sexycool book about werewolves about a year ago, but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it or what the title was!

I absolutely love to read! I like Ayn Rand,Mark Twain,Lucy Maude Montgomery("The Blue Castle"),Sinclair Lewis, Tolstoy("The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories" is my fave),John Grisham, Virginia Woolf, Jane Austen, Terry McMillan,the Bronte sisters,Scott O'Dell, Jack London,Madeline L'Engle, LaVyrle Spencer, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Robert Heinlein, Arthur Conan Doyle(everything Sherlock),Nathaniel Hawthorne,Henry David Thorough,Laura Ingalls Wilder, Gary Paulsen, and Dr Seus, amongst many others. My nine year-old and I share a common love of Shakespeare (he has collected Shakespeare stuff since he was five).I particularly like "Othello" and "The Tempest", and "Sonnet 116".

I savored "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand this winter.A great read about controlling societies!

Another book that's really made me think is "Women Who Run With the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

I want to read "Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus", and some of Anne Rice's stuff my next break from school.

• Xena
    Xena

Books one of my favorite things!!!

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series & assorted other books

Marion Zimmer Bradley "The Mists of Avalon"

Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series

Jane Austin is always a good read

and Lousia May Alcott is a long time favorite

uummmm Anne Rice did some interesting erotica...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit